My First Customer complaint

theoldehearth

I've been making soy candles for over 3 years and a father bought one of my mason jars from a farmer's market for his daughter who lives a province away. She just emailed me informing that the candle was burning fine for 10 minutes and then it just drowned out. She started digging around the wick and relighting a few times obviously making it worse and now it won't light at all.

I'm thinking of offering her a new wick with instructions and a discount for her inconvenience. Is this reasonable or should this be handled otherwise? I'm stumped why this happened in the first place as I do test all my batches. The only thing I can think of is she may have trimmed the wick too short to begin with even though I trim the all the wicks to the proper length.

What would you have done?

If this was locally I would just simply replace with a new candle but because of shipping I would be out quite a bit just for a mason jar.

It's my opinion you're going to be out quite a bit more than just shipping if you don't replace the entire candle. Just offering a customer another wick is unnacceptable IMO. Do you honestly expect her to know what do do with it?

Word of mouth is a powerful tool, use it to your advantage with excellent customer service.

Just my opinion here, but I would think maybe for the sake of good customer service sending her a new candle would be the way to go. (I say this from a customers perspective.) It'll make you look good too. If in her mind the candle is defective, she will remember this and maybe tell others. Better she feel that you did the right thing by her and fixed what she perceives to be a wrong.

How would she re-wick the candle? Wouldn't that be potentially more complicated and dangerous for her than to just send her a candle?

I would email and apology and send her a new candle. We all hope that when we have a complaint that someone will pay attention and do the right thing. That's propbably all she's thinking too.

I'd go with an entire candle too. I'd be a little upset receiving one wick. Consider thsi money as an investment for your business, write her an email and repeat gently rules about trimming (maybe she really cut it too short, trying to follow your advices).

But do put an accent on what you are going to do, because the next time she does another mess shce could think that you can sell her another candle and so on.

Well I must be the black sheep here because I would not replace the candle until I got it back and inspected it. I would ask her ship it at HER cost and reimburst her if it was defective.

If you are confident in your product and you know for a fact that everything you did was correct then there should be no problem with the product. You said you have been doing this for 3 years, how many have complained about something like this? Or better yet has this ever happened to you during your extensive testing where you think wick drowing after 10 mins. may be possible with that particular formulation?

How do you know she just didn't follow your burning instructions and let it tunnel and now wants you to replace it. Or just wants to see if she can get another one for free, the worst your going to say is no and if you send her another one no questions asked than it only cost her an email. Some people make stuff like this their hobby. Just see how much they can get for nothing.

On the other side she may really have a defective candle... but you will not know until you see it. You can't fix something or prevent it from happeing agian until you get it back.

Good customer service does not mean you just replace things on a customers word. You have a right to get the product back to see what went wrong if you are expected to refund or replace an item. You need to make sure #1 if there really is an issue and #2 fix it so it never happens again to someone else.

I agree w/Lorrie! I would def. get the other candle back so at least I could re-melt the wax and put it into a new candle! I don't think that is unreasonable at all! I also agree with sending a "special" something for doing so! Or, if you didn't want to send something...give her a discount or a buy one get 1/2 price or something! At least she will be a return customer! HTH!

Kimmeroo:cheesy2:

I agree...replacing and getting the original back is a good idea. I have learned to pay very close attention to my customer's comments. I will admit that they are usually always positive comments, but a few years ago I got my first negative comment about a candle drowning out. I instantly thought "user error" until I got a second one...and then a third complaint. It was the beginning of a huge snafu, but those calls alerted me to a bad batch of wax. The whole fiasco ended up costing me (and many others) a LOT of money, but I am SO glad someone said something. By being alerted to it, I was able to pull all affected candles from stores and figure out what was going on. Now, i have had some real stupid customer comments, too. My favorite is the lady who BROKE her candle jar because she put it in a vice to get a tight lid off. No I wish I was kidding.

Bottom line...take heed. It could be a case of a mistake on their part, but to me, peace of mind is totally worth it to replace a candle.

I would send her a replacement candle and include a shipping label for her to send back the old candle in the same box that the new candle arrived in. Kinda the same thing Amazon does. You could also ask her to email you a pic of the candle lit and unlit, that might help you determine what the problem might have been. I'd choose whichever method is best for the customer.

Either way, I really don't see NOT replacing the candle as an option. That's just really bad cs.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd give you an update on this matter.

I sent her a new one after testing another jar from the same batch. I gave her specific instructions on how to keep the wick trimmed properly and burning time. I also enclosed a couple of tealight as an apology for her inconvenience.

After a week or so I contacted her to see if she received the jar and she replied she did and that it has been burning fine so far and truly thanked me for the replacement.

The only theory I could think of is she may have trimmed the first jar too short so it didn't have a proper melt pool but I kinda wish I had it returned so I can really see what happened but I'm just glad it worked out for both of us.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.:grin2:

Glad it worked out, and I bet you earned a loyal customer with the way you handled it. You know...as careful as we are, we have to realize some user error can come into place on our part, too. I try to be very careful when wicking, but I would not put it past myself in having wicked a bazillion jars to have possibly gotten a wrong size wick in there at some point. Or heck...our wick suppliers getting something mixed up when putting wicks in a bag for an order.

• 2 weeks later...