Elizabeths Bath Bomb Recipie??

Melly

Thanks for posting link for recipe. I never venture here, Because I don't need something else to spend money on :eek: But I saw the title and had to look, well I can get those products w/o spending too much. Will have to give them a try. Well when I find a low humid area. Live in FL can be hard to do. LOL

Here's an intersting note: In researching bathbombs I read about some people that were having "blow up" issues omitting the additional salts (i.e., epsom, dead sea salt whatever you use). The mindset was that they attracted atmospheric moisture to the bath bomb. It seemed that omitting these extra salts dramatically improved their end product.

I tried it out, and although my bombs didn't have the visual appeal that the epsom salts lend, they seemed to set up quicker and got harder faster. :eek:

Since I usually don't have blow up issues, and in light of the visual and label appeals to adding the additional salts, i opted to continue using them.

Just thought i'd throw that out there for those of you who are having a hard time because of humidity. (although I live in michigan, surrounded on three sides by HUGE lakes with 90+ temps and a relative humidy of 70++ and i don't have issues with blow ups. I really believe the alcohol is key! ;) )

hmm...

Well, I tried them, I ended up with Worty bath bombs that reak of alcohol, and would not form a ball, had to make half balls. any suggestions? I will try a batch without the salt tommarrow and let you know how it all goes.

YOU GO GIRL!!

That just seemed like the next right thing to say :D (OH Melly beat me to posting- still seems right though)

I'll definately have to try the ALCOHOL now if that's the key. I attempted a few times w/ horrible results. I like this recipe as its not loaded w/ oils like some bombs are. THANKS :)

Melly, I have recipes where they take the witch hazel -which you would do w/ the alcohol instead and put it in a spray bottle and spritzed the mixture as needed. Maybe that'll cut down on the alcohol smell if you don't need the whole 6 tbsp. Also maybe the alcohol smell will dissipate after awhile- will the alcohol evaporate alittle?

I am hoping, and assuming the alcohol scent will dispate, they were quite fresh when i sniffed them. I might pick up some witch hazel and spray bottle while i am out tommarrow. I used one and it was wonderful, bath did smell of lavender, not alcohol and my skin is nice and soft, these are not at all greasy :)

hmm...

Well, I tried them, I ended up with Worty bath bombs that reak of alcohol, and would not form a ball, had to make half balls. any suggestions? I will try a batch without the salt tommarrow and let you know how it all goes.

they will smell like alcohol while they are still wet :P

The alcohol evaporates out so there is no alcohol smell in the finished product. Wait 24 hrs after you've made them then sniff.

BTW, How much did you use cuz you don't need to use a lot. Just enough to moisten the mix enough to mold.

Here's an intersting note: In researching bathbombs I read about some people that were having "blow up" issues omitting the additional salts (i.e., epsom, dead sea salt whatever you use). The mindset was that they attracted atmospheric moisture to the bath bomb. It seemed that omitting these extra salts dramatically improved their end product.

I tried it out, and although my bombs didn't have the visual appeal that the epsom salts lend, they seemed to set up quicker and got harder faster. :eek:

Since I usually don't have blow up issues, and in light of the visual and label appeals to adding the additional salts, i opted to continue using them.

Just thought i'd throw that out there for those of you who are having a hard time because of humidity. (although I live in michigan, surrounded on three sides by HUGE lakes with 90+ temps and a relative humidy of 70++ and i don't have issues with blow ups. I really believe the alcohol is key! ;) )

That's good info to know. I'll keep it for when I get the citric acid to try this. Thanks! :)

Keep trying Melly, you'll get it! :)

I used the 6 tsp of Alcohol that the recipie recommended, and it still wasnt moist enough that I could make my 2 halves of ball mold stick together. Do you think i would be better off decreasing it and spraying my ball halves to make the stick?

Add alcohol to make balls harder? And the moderators allow this type of language?

Seriously... Liz, we peeps down south PRAY for 70% humidity! Houston won't see 70% humidity until November/December.

My blow-up issues went away when I decreased the salts and also warmed them in the oven for about 30 minutes or so.

Bri

LOL your too funny brian, i will try decreasing the salts to 1/4 cup and not making them in my basement workroom, i'll try the kitchen. (my hubby will throw a fit but oh well) Even though the humidity down there was showing 30%, there are 2 cement foundation walls there, probably didnt help. I'll have to get back to you guys on the alcohol scent, I have a really bad cold today, couldnt even smell an ounce of FO in wax :(

I used the 6 tsp of Alcohol that the recipie recommended, and it still wasnt moist enough that I could make my 2 halves of ball mold stick together. Do you think i would be better off decreasing it and spraying my ball halves to make the stick?

Melly, the first time I tried it I added in all of the alcohol at once and it didn't work so good for me. What i do now, is fill a spray bottle up with alcohol and mist it onto the bbomb mix, stopping occassionally to stir. I think i counted a total of 30 sprays of alcohol lol

I mist about 10 times, stop mix, mist 10 more times, stop mix, etc. This is just a guideline for you. You may have to mist a bit more or less until you get the right consistency for molding HTH.

Add alcohol to make balls harder? And the moderators allow this type of language?

Seriously... Liz, we peeps down south PRAY for 70% humidity! Houston won't see 70% humidity until November/December.

My blow-up issues went away when I decreased the salts and also warmed them in the oven for about 30 minutes or so.

Bri

oh did i say 70%? I mean 700% :P

Actually that was just the humidity for that particualr day. It does vary here going up much higher. But on an up note, my plants are all doing wonderfully. Greenhouse effect ya know lol

Ok,just made batch #2, nice and smooth and in the oven, looks like its going to fly, i halved the amount of salts , and spritzed the alcohol in, wrapped them all in a clean dry towel, and stuck them in the oven at 175 degrees. I'll take them out in an hour and see how they are, then leave them wrapped in the towel overnight (got that piece of advice from another website).

I could not however, get my two halves of a ball to stick together, Pressed firmly, left them for a few minutes broke apart while unmolding. Even tried spritzing the halves before i stuck them together, spritzing the insides more, still no luck. What have you guys done to get past this problem?

**Edit, after 1 hour I took them out of the oven and they are nice and hard, 1 has 1 little tiny wort on it, nothing to worry about **

I find the bb saga so interesting because different things work for different people. I've tried a zillion "no fail" recipes, only to have them fail!!! Argh. LOL.

My recipe consists of oil, cornstarch, baking soda and citric acid (and FO) and I can NOT get any other recipe to work for me (like ones with salts, witch hazel or alcohol). And believe me, I've tried. But I did manage to make an awesome bomb that got good reviews from testers.

With the two halves sticking together, I had success with that, and then decided to go with two separate halves for something different. Are you using a meatballer for your balls?

Have any of you tried this one? Which did you like better?

Extra moisturizing Bath Fizzy

1c Citric Acid

2c Baking Soda

1tsp Olive Oil (or Shea butter or cocoa butter)

1tsp fo

I tried that one but got bath bomb cookies lol

Out of the 3 I had my testers test they liked this one better but thinking I would like Elizabeths better :confused:

Thanks

Ash

• 7 months later...

I have had the most luck never adding any type of liquid besided oil, I use castor oil, I have tried alcohol and witch hazel and get blow ups, so now I never use it.

I use:

1 1/2 C baking soda

1 cup citric

4 tsp castor oil

FO or EO to liking