Elizabeths Bath Bomb Recipie??

Melly

Well, I (um, a friend lol) tried this recipe. Now, keep in mind, never made a bath bomb at all. Well, read the recipe wrong. Instead of 6 tsp of alcohol, I measured out 6 TBS of alcohol. As I was adding, little by little, I thought man this is alot. Glanced at the recipe after getting about half of it in there. So, placed the first in a small mp soap mold, took it out and placed it on waxed paper. Decided to add some more soda, starch and salt to dry it out a bit, and finished with the rest.

All turned out great except the first one, it now looks like a white cow patty!! It puffed out on the sides, and looked like a flat marshmellow.

Man, these things if thrown could break a window!!

I'll have to try them again and use the right amount of alcohol. What an experience that was.

When first done they smelled VERY strong of alcohol (wouldn't have a clue why). I used Oatmeal, Milk & Honey FO, and now they smell like they should.

Do you have to list the alcohol in your ingredients? Or is it considered to be evaporated?

Mine are still crumbling, but they're better. I did a batch with just a bit of cornstarch and they just didn't firm up in 24hours. The batch with just citric & bs is doing much better

I only use a very small amount of mica, less than an 1/8 of a tsp to a 2-3 C batch. I do still make them in small batches because I can control them better

I just made some last night, I am going to put them in the oven now, I had not made any in a while and it took me a while to get back into the swing of it, they are hard now but now as dry as I want

I sooooo want to try making these, but I'm afraid of "bombing" at it. LOL

Michelle/Elle I think you're right in that small batches would be so much easier to control, only thinking about molding these dudes and having all that to mold, having never even attempted them ya know. ;) LOL

I'm such a big chicken, geesh, won't do CP soap, won't do bath bombs.... :rolleyes:

Why do you use the castor oil and not some other oil? Just curious? Can you use ANY oil? Like something like avacado or something like that?

• 3 weeks later...

Fill the molds with lots of mix so some falls out when you squeeze it together, hold them so hard your hands hurt but not hard enough to break the molds for about 15 seconds, set them down and leave them in the molds for about 10 minutes. Then carefully pull off the top half. Leave the bottom half on for about 20 minutes longer to prevent flat bottoms.

• 2 weeks later...

What size are the molds that you all use? Sara said something about using a meatballer. Has anyone tried that?

I've never made bath bombs before and they will probably turn out like Terri's first ones, but it sounds like fun. (sure i say that right now, until I get puffy blobs of goo)

• 4 weeks later...
Here's an intersting note: In researching bathbombs I read about some people that were having "blow up" issues omitting the additional salts (i.e., epsom, dead sea salt whatever you use). The mindset was that they attracted atmospheric moisture to the bath bomb. It seemed that omitting these extra salts dramatically improved their end product.

I tried it out, and although my bombs didn't have the visual appeal that the epsom salts lend, they seemed to set up quicker and got harder faster. :eek:

Since I usually don't have blow up issues, and in light of the visual and label appeals to adding the additional salts, i opted to continue using them.

Just thought i'd throw that out there for those of you who are having a hard time because of humidity. (although I live in michigan, surrounded on three sides by HUGE lakes with 90+ temps and a relative humidy of 70++ and i don't have issues with blow ups. I really believe the alcohol is key! ;) )

Maybe this is a foolish question - but what kind of alcohol? Just regular rubbing alcohol from the grocery store?