Just made an 800oz master batch!

jwahlton

I'm getting ready for my fall shows and just made an 800 master batch of oils :shocked2: I normally do 300 oz, but wanted to make lots more. That's a lot of oils :D

That is a lot of oils! Two words come to mind...

DON'T SPILL! :wink2:

Now you are all ready to soap, soap, soap!

The funny thing is I normally put this into a 3 gallon bucket. I had a 5 gallon bucket and it didn't fit! So we put it all into a HUGE tub, I blended it all together then split into 2 5 gallon buckets. I use a ladel to get it out. All of my soaps, except for 2, use this base so I'm ready to start soaping.

sooo how do you do a master batch? Can you add oils like say cocoa butter or shea to the master batch at the time you want to make the soap? I have some bars with CB and some with SB in them.

Did that make sence??:confused: :confused:

tootie

My base recipe has CP in them. I do not deviate from that when soaping. I've got other bars that has shea in them and I make that from scratch. I can't think of anyother way to do that.

I've been wanting to try master batching and have just been down right afraid. I don't have a clue what I'm afraid of. It makes perfect cost savings sense. I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks for posting this--it was just what I needed.

Okay so when you master batch and you are ready to make your soaps. Do you just weigh out the total weight of oils for that particular recipe and then add your lye/water solution for that total weight of oils? So say I have made up my master batch and I'm going to make a 2lb batch and just off the top of my head (only as an example) my total oil weight is 28 ounces and lye/water is 4 ounces. I just weight this out and mix as usual. Am I even in the ball park of being close on this? :laugh2:

You got it! One of my log molds is 52 oz of oils. I'll weight that out from the masterbatch, then do my thing with the lye. It's really a time saver, you don't have to weigh out everything for each batch. This only works if you use the same recipe though! I'm still too chicken to do the lye masterbatch though so I do that for each batch. Just make sure you stir really well before taking out the oils for your batch. My recipe is pretty liquid, even with the shortening, so I give it a good stir and ladel it all out

You got it! One of my log molds is 52 oz of oils. I'll weight that out from the masterbatch, then do my thing with the lye. It's really a time saver, you don't have to weigh out everything for each batch. This only works if you use the same recipe though! I'm still too chicken to do the lye masterbatch though so I do that for each batch. Just make sure you stir really well before taking out the oils for your batch. My recipe is pretty liquid, even with the shortening, so I give it a good stir and ladel it all out

Thank you I'm going to try that this week. I can't wait to get my mold from Paul I'm sitting on pins and needles he just mailed it out today :( I was so hoping to have it already LOL

I wanna do that but I am Chicken!!!

How do u do it????:D

Maybe this will help.

If you hate measuring out oils as much as I do, you will like this.

I learned this from another forum about making master batches of oils to save time soaping.

You take your recipe and run it through the soap calc.

Say for instance your recipe calls for 50 oz. of oils. If you have a container that can hold 300 oz., put amount of 250 oz. in the soap calc. for amount of oils.

I like to use a big stainless pot with two handles.

Weigh out your oils, melt, stick blend together. Pour into your container.

You have 5 batches already made up. 5 x 50 oz. makes 250 oz. I would leave a little extra room to be on the safe side. You don't want to overflow your container.

You should have at least 40% of soft oils for this to work.

From what I understand palm, tallow and lards will not solidify very much if you stick blend together. It will not separate either. It might help to keep in a warmer place. Not in a cold garage or anywhere like that. Make sure to give a real good shake before dispensing oils. It does not effect sap values. If you would have a small amount left over, you can add a new batch to this without jeopardizing sap values.

Now this is the idea I had. I saved my Tide containers with the spigot on it. It holds 300 oz. of fluid. Clean it out really well. Fill with hot water and leave sit for half an hour then empty. The labels will peel right off. Then label or write with a permanent marker on the side how many batches it holds and how many oz. to dispense for each batch.

You could have different ones for different size batches. Just multiply your size batch to accommodate your container.

You would have to use a funnel and maybe have some help holding the funnel.

Let your oils cool down slightly too. I don't know how this container would hold up to hot oils.

This becomes a real big time saver! Hope this helps!

Thank you I'm going to try that this week. I can't wait to get my mold from Paul I'm sitting on pins and needles he just mailed it out today :( I was so hoping to have it already LOL

You are so gonna love your mold! I just made 2 batches with my new mold and can't imagine any other type of mold to use! I just love how the hinges drop down and your slab just slides out! EASY PEASY!! I just need to order his larger mold now for my favorite bar batches..