WET SPOTS!!!!!!!!! Arugh! How do you get rid of them in container candles?

I'm not sure what it will do for soy (I use parrifin), but I heat my containers in the oven before I pour my wax, and that has definitely made difference. I know there was a thread on this a week or so ago, have you tried looking in the veggie section? They might have it there. You will always get a wet spot here and there, but I'm sure you will be able to cut down on them one way or another.

HTH,

Shari

THANKS!

Yews, we do heat them.

But thanks for the "veggie" tip.

We will look into it.

Sheesh!

I guess the nature of the biz is that there is just very little you can do when you are working with organic materials in uncontrolled environments.

I prefer parrafin, as you seem to do. But we are dabbeling in soy blends to see if it helps.

I meant yes, not yew!

I am tired.

Thanks for helping.

You are in Kentucky?

I am in California. Truth be known, we are looking for a supplier that is closer to us so we can get our wax without the shiping cost hit we take whaen we order it from Ohio.

Pouring technique can be an important part of the answer, but if you're sensitive to wet spots it all starts with wax selection. IGI 4627 Comfort Blend will give you just about the greatest degree of glass adhesion available.

There are other blends that can perform well in that respect too if you look around. But from what I've seen, it has little if anything to do with the type of wax. Regardless of paraffin or veggie or both, some blends stick and some don't.

The nature of the biz is trade-offs. When you find a blend that sticks to the glass you may find there's something else about it you don't like. :)

IGI4630/1945 is also a good wax for glass adhesion...I rarely see a wet spot on the jars. We do wash out and warm our jars.

But, as Top said, there are usually trade-offs. 4630 tends to have smoking issues, so the wicking can be difficult with certain FO's.

When glass is manufactured there is oily residue on it from that process. That's why one is supposed to wash anything before using! Try washing glassware in hot water in a solution of Parson's Sudsy Ammonia to cut the greasy residue. Allow it to air cool upside down. If there is stuff on the glass, nothing short of horsehide glue will adhere to it!

I think all the advice you have been given is excellent....but,if none of that works for you....switch to my favorite (now my favorite anyway)palm wax.

You can get it from several candle supply companies. So far I have not had any wet spots since switching over to mostly palm wax container candles...I still get em in my soy candles though....bummer!

Mike

I think they are unavoidable in some instances. I thought I had them conquered...hadn't seen a wet spot in about 2 months...then I poured some last Wednesday and when I got home on Friday night...WET SPOTS!! big ones too. I used the heat gun on the glass and it got rid of most of it, but a little bit came back. I think they are right when they say "Embrace the Wet Spots!" otherwise they will drive you crazy.

The nature of the biz is trade-offs. When you find a blend that sticks to the glass you may find there's something else about it you don't like.

Some of the best advise I have seen on this board! Same holds true for wicks.

I wash my containers before use and I find that helps. The coconut oil actually increased the wet spots I had in the wax I was using. Every wax can be different. Wet spots are more of a problem for me during the winter.

I think this is the BEST advice so far. Thanks.

I am getting resolved to the fact that this is just a part of the process. I go to stores and look at the Yankee displays, and the Illume displays, and Candlelite and all of the other "biggies", and I see so many flaws and stuff I worry about with our candles.

So I guess I am just too worried about the stuff consumers wil never notice?

Patty, I think it's fair to say that most of us are hypercritical of our products. Temperature variation plays a part in the formation of wet spots as does residue on the glass and the formula of the wax poured into that container. Coconut oil is not a solution for wet spots to my knowledge. Managing the container surface and the storing temperature will help more than anything. Some container wax formulas just don't adhere as well as others. If you are carefully washing your containers and storing them in a controlled temperature environment, perhaps your choice of wax is the only other variable that you can manipulate. HTH :)

I use to not have any wet spots, then I purchases this one fo and had problems left and right with this one scent. Since then I had moved to my new shop... I fear my candles don't like the new shop. I keep getting wet spots on different ones ugh! Make it stop lol

Wick'n'wax to answer your question: NO. I've been pouring for 7 years and not one customer has said a word about the wet spots, small or large! They just love my packaging and awesome scent throw!:grin2:

I use to worry about wet spots in the beginning, but now they are just part of the business of pouring candles. I use to heat the jars, etc.. but nothing works. Actually, I can pour hundreds of candles in one day and about 50% of them will have wet spots and the other 50% don't - go figure! I do however think that some FO's contribute to the wet spots.

IMO

Thanks!

HAY!

Wick'n'wax, you are right! I should get over it. No customer seems to even care. Thanks for the reality check.

Candle Lady, thanks too for your insight.BTW, how do you pour hundreds of candles in ONE day? I need to talk to YOU! LOL!

AmySue? We seem to be in the same boat!

GOOD ADVICE you guys! Thanks so much for your help!