My Weekend Projects Pics - ATTN. SOJA!

Candle Kitty

Well, I said I'd post what I did over the weekend, so here they come.

First thing is first, the shelf that I used for the pics has a soft bow in the middle, so it may look like the candle isn't level, but it is.

First pic is of Buttermint Candies tarts. Made them pastels since the gal that is going to test them for me doesn't own a pastel color one. Thought some feminine colors would do her some good.

post-736-139458382395_thumb.jpg

These are my bathroom babies, scented Spiced Cranberry, this scent is DEFINITELY going in my line.

The tall one hasn't been levelled or wicked yet, once I got it out of the mold, I came upstairs and started snapping pics. Not entirely happy with the shorter one, but I was in a rush, so I know I missed a step.

post-736-1394583824_thumb.jpg

The large Lavender candle, the one that looks like icecream with cherrys in it, can you PLEASE tell me how you did it? I am just trying to get back into candle making and need to know the process of how you did this beautiful candle. I promise I won't go into business and sell a million!:highfive:

I'm going to do it for friends and family only.

Please!

Please..... :drool:

Thanks.

soja

Soja -

Go here http://www.candletech.com/marbled/ it will give you detailed instructions on how to do the marbled candle. It took me roughly 5 months of continuous work to get it down, and I DID change the instructions, only because I use dye chips more than I do the liquid.

Use one chip, cut it or break it up into pieces, then melt it with the heatgun. Once the wax is the consistency that EB described, add a small amount to the wax and turn it just a few times, I never turn more than 3 times total. With the Lavender, I actually had it a little harder than the consistency that EB did, only because I wanted more white in it than color.

Start putting the wax into the mold, a few tablespoons and make SURE that you slam it down on the counter, it will help pack the wax in, then put just a little bit more, then add another small melted piece directly INTO the mold, put the heatgun on it for just a few seconds, enough that you can see the wax begin to melt, tap it and then repeat the above steps. So it's wax, slam, wax, dye, heatgun, tap. Keep repeating those steps until the mold is full to your satisfaction.

It may seem like a little bit of trouble with the dye chips, but they're just as concentrated as the liquid, so putting in a couple of extra steps really isn't that hard, not to mention it gives you a little bit of control, you can place the dye in places that either don't have enough color, or to get the smatters like I do, put it in a pool of melted wax and just let it set so it expands out with the heatgun and tapping. Not to mention, you can control the bigger pockets of air by tapping as you fill the mold, some of my first marbles, the bottoms were beautiful, but the tops were much to be desired.

Can't and won't take all the credit for those candles, EB is the one that brought it to the boards. Love her for it, too. I have more people comment on the marbles than anything else that I do, even though I'm now moving into rustics. Leave it to me, find the difficult one first and then move to something not so difficult, although I'm sure the peeps that are attempting rustics may not completely agree with me!

HTH and please, post as you go, would love to see them!!

Thank you!

I showed the picture to my Wife and she loved it too. I am printing both sets of instructions along with your picture to act as a 'goal'.

Please let me get this straight, All the wax is from the same batch, it's just 'dyed' from the chips?? If so, how did you get such a large spot of color in that one spot? It looks like rasberry filling in an icecream sundae.:)

Any secrets in the wax? Or do you just use 'regular' wax?

Thank you so much.

Soja

Straight paraffin/no additives (IGI-1218)two tsp. of Universal Additive. First time I used the UA and I LOVE it! Never had my white look that good before. That Lavender I used is from Peak's and it suggested only half an ounce per pound and I can vouch for that, the Lavender was STRONG.

As for the splotches, I took a piece of melted dye and just placed it where I wanted it inside the mold on top of a small pool of melted wax and then with the heatgun, tapping and slamming, it settled into what you see.

Best way to tell you is go with the flow and use your instinct. If you know what spot isn't going to have 'enough dye', melt a piece from the chip and slip it down into the wax and let it do the work for you. Half the fun of the way I do it is slipping dye into a crevice and not knowing what it's going to look like until I unmold it.

HTH

Once you get the initial enigma out of the way when it comes to a technique, it's just a matter of tweaking it for yourself. EB's instructions were fabulous, easy to follow, I just tweaked it since I like using chips more than liquid.

I've got a half dozen more scents that call for multiple colors that I'll be working on the next couple of days, there WILL be more marbles to come!

Glad everyone enjoyed them, thanks so much for all the great comments!! :bliss: