Salt Soap Recipe

salli

Would someone share a really good salt soap recipe with me or at least the ins and outs of making this? The last one I tried came out gritty. From everything I've heard this is one type of soap I'd love to try. Thanks.

Sure here is my recipe;

75% Coconut Oil

15% Shea Butter

5% RBO or Olive Oil

5% High Oleic Sunflower Oil or just up the OO and/or RBO to the whole 10%.

Salt will add a little volume to your mold. I figure my regular amount of oils X 80%. Use that number at a soap calculator to figure the above recipe.

To figure salt I use 80% of the weight of my oils in the recipe. I mix my oils to a light trace, color if you want, add FO or EO, then add salt. Hand whisk only the salt until completely mixed and pour! It thickens to a heavy trace pretty fast. I can cut my bars after 1 to 1-1/2 hours, they will be hot to the touch. Hope this helps!

Paul....

This is terrific. I have all of this on hand Thanks bunches. Do I need to put it in the oven?

I don't with my wood TOG Lined Molds with Wood top. I just put the top on and it is in full gel in 30 minutes or less! So if you don't have good heavy wood molds with a top, you might want to insulate or put into an oven at 170 for a short time. This stuff sets up fast and is uncuttable after a few hours pouring--get the jackhammer! LOL

Paul....

Another newbie question, can I add pumice to this?

My suggestion would be to try it with just sea salt or kosher salt first. You won't really need pumice added to this. You can add it if you wanted to for some reason though. The salt, especially the rougher kosher, will add more abrasion to this soap than the finer sea salt.:yay:

Paul...

Regular table salt is perfectly fine, and so is silk. I've used Dead Sea Mud in one my salt bar batches and it looks awesome, but it cut down too much of the lather for my own personal tastes. For others who add mud it might be perfectly fine, but I'm so used to using my 100% coconut oil salt bar recipe with no other additives except the salt, fragrance, and color that bubbles so profusely for me that I'm extra sensitive to noticing anything that would lessen my usual bubbleage. Although the one with the mud does bubble, it takes a lot of friction to get it to do so, unlike my mud-less batches. I've never tried pumice, so I can't give yo any advice there, but it's worth a try. Don't ever be afraid to experiment to see what works for you and what you're happy with. :)

MarieJeanette

I agree with MarieJeanette. Experiment...that's the fun in this craft of ours.

Just remember...salt bars are not really meant to and don't exfoliate, but I have notices some sloughing of dead skin on the feet and elbows at times, but not due to abrasiveness.

After the first use, there is no abrasiveness...the bar is smooth as glass. The salt mainly softens hard water and adds a lotion-like quality.

My personal opinion is that adding pumice to a salt bar would not be that great a thing, since pumice IS abrasive and may produce tiny scratches..that combined with the salt may burn.

Dead Sea Mud, on the other hand, is great in a salt bar. The look is beautiful.

• 1 month later...
Sure here is my recipe;

75% Coconut Oil

15% Shea Butter

5% RBO or Olive Oil

5% High Oleic Sunflower Oil or just up the OO and/or RBO to the whole 10%.

Salt will add a little volume to your mold. I figure my regular amount of oils X 80%. Use that number at a soap calculator to figure the above recipe.

To figure salt I use 80% of the weight of my oils in the recipe. I mix my oils to a light trace, color if you want, add FO or EO, then add salt. Hand whisk only the salt until completely mixed and pour! It thickens to a heavy trace pretty fast. I can cut my bars after 1 to 1-1/2 hours, they will be hot to the touch. Hope this helps!

Paul....

What percent do you superfat this at? I would love to try this recipe. Thanks :)

• 3 years later...

Since I have the wood lined mold with dividers, I should be able to just put the lid on, wait 30 minutes, then cut, right? I found after making my first batch of soap that the soap was getting very thick and hard to put into the mold. Did I stir too long before adding the salt? makes it hard to have smooth, pretty bars, when thick while pouring. lol.

• 6 months later...

I love pumice in my salt bars for foot scrubbing soap. I use both pumice and sea salt in them and mold in individual molds. It really works off the rough parts making feet that are lovely in flip flops.

The longer my salt soaps cure the better they seem to get. after about 6 months they're divine. I add coconut milk to mine for a little more lotiony lather.

• 2 months later...
I don't have molds that can go in the oven. Can I HP this recipe? Adding the salt before going into the oven in my pot or after?

Any advise for HP these? :)

Put your shoe boxes on a warm cookie sheet. What you want to do is put them into an oven that has already been warmed ... turn the oven off before you put your box in and leave it for an hour. It shouldn't destroy anything, but just keep an eye on it. With the oven off, the cardboard isn't going to catch fire (or it shouldn't.)

Another way is to wrap the devil out of your mold, place it on a heating pad set on a low temp and leave it alone for an hour or so. You need to force the gel. Be sure to cut right away.

Edited by Scented

Not that I have tried making these HP, mind you, but I did make some CP ones and from that experience, I don't think putting the salt in before HPing would be wise... I'm thinking brickwork... Why not try CPing which works very well?

I can't wait for CP to cure if they work out. :)