Salt Soap Recipe

salli

Put your shoe boxes on a warm cookie sheet. What you want to do is put them into an oven that has already been warmed ... turn the oven off before you put your box in and leave it for an hour. It shouldn't destroy anything, but just keep an eye on it. With the oven off, the cardboard isn't going to catch fire (or it shouldn't.)

Another way is to wrap the devil out of your mold, place it on a heating pad set on a low temp and leave it alone for an hour or so. You need to force the gel. Be sure to cut right away.

What if I put the soap in the oven wait for most of it to gel...take it out and add the salt? You think that would work? If I do the heating pad do I cut after an hr? How long for the cure? :)

Doubtful. It will be chunky and not likely to incorporate. You are not making a scrubby bar. Just make your batch, put it in the box, insulate well, put it on a heating pad if you don't want to do the cookie sheet in the oven thing and check it in an hour or so.

And yes, you cut soon after that hour. If it's a slushy mess, don't cut it. You can't wait for them to cool down too much or you won't be cutting through them. Give it a day to sit and try one. With the recipe I use, I can use my bars the next day without a problem.

Just going to add that you need to remember that the salt bars are going to be hot.

There are no pictures here and forget about the six to 12 color process, but the rest of the tutorial should help you along.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?62607-Angry-Clown-Salt-Bars-by-Grumpy-Girl

I cpop my salt bars for that extra hard glassy look but my mold has hdpe dividers. I put them in the oven on lowest temp for an hour and then leave in the oven for a couple of hours. The excess moisture usually drains into the bottom of the mold but the bars are like rocks. You want to add your salt at medium trace or it will sink to the bottom and not incorporate throughout the bar. You have to be quick and not worry about trying a swirl or that sort of thing. I use about a 50/50 on oils to salt (30 oz oil and 30 oz of salt) but you can use less (some use about 70% salt to oils). I like to switch back and forth between salt bars and a luxury bar to keep my skin from getting to greasy (me in the bath that is). HTH

Steve

It's not working with the heating pad. Some of it is hard and some is mushy. :( It's 7:30 and I poured it in the mold at 4:30....followed all of the instructions. I don't know what I did wrong.

I spoke too soon...they are awesome. I just didn't cool them as quickly and cut very warm about 3.5 hr after I poured. They weren't crumbly. They Are heavy!! I could have gotten double the amount of bars, but oh well. They are more than 7oz each lol. I even got a Swirl in!! I'm hooked. Making another batch tomorrow. I will post a couple of pics in the gallery.

`1

OK so what happened? What made you think they didn't work?

They were squishy in the middle and on a couple of corners. So I put it back on the heating pad...it still was not set, so decided to

finally take it out and let it cool enough to peel the freezer paper without pulling soap with it...I cut them after 3.5 hrs and they never crumbled.

They were still Very warm. I thought I was going to have a gooey middle mess. After the one hour on the pad I tried to take it out of the mold and

it was so squishy in the middle that I had to put it back in the mold. I thought it needed more heat. Still learning the get thing. But they came out okay.

I spoke too soon...they are awesome. I just didn't cool them as quickly and cut very warm about 3.5 hr after I poured. They weren't crumbly. They Are heavy!! I could have gotten double the amount of bars, but oh well. They are more than 7oz each lol. I even got a Swirl in!! I'm hooked. Making another batch tomorrow. I will post a couple of pics in the gallery.

KOOL!!! So glad it worked for you! Wanna SEEEE!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...