Summer is back ~sigh~

Normally I love summer... cept when it comes to my pillars. I'm beginning to think I'll have to scrap the 4625 all together or save it for winter candles. All of them I've made since it got hot have developed the dang fingernails! Even the plain white unscented ones for the dried flowers. From pea sized in the white ones, to half dollar sized in the dark red of the vanilla, it's hitting them all. :embarasse

At least I've determined it's not from damp heat, since we've been in a nasty drought...

post-27-139458428593_thumb.jpg

No - I'am with Satin Ducky - I DON'T LIKE THEM - I use the same wax and I have been having that same problem. It hadn't been happening until just about 2 months ago. You really think it is from the heat? I remade one batch 4 times and finally gave up - just picked the best. I thought maybe I had gotten a bad batch of wax, even thinking about changing pillar wax, though don't know what I would use. Now I am afraid to make pillars, because sometimes it takes a couple of days for it to show up. Let me know if you come up with a solution. I won't be around for a couple days. Me and DH are leaving in AM for a "mini vacation" he had couple days off so we are making the best of it.

I can only assume that it's the heat/humidity of summer or something along those lines. This is reoccurring. Now last year, I was taking time off from candles period, so nothing to go by. The summer before, the exact same thing. Early spring, late fall and winter.... no fingernailing.

It can take any where from a couple days to a couple weeks to show up after they're made.

Mind you, I don't completely hate the look. It's rather interesting sometimes, I just don't want to HAVE to have it in all my pillars :mad:

I've seen posts on different additives helping some, so that is next on the agenda now that the outbreak is here again.

I have been hearing about fingernailing for years. I had a speck of it one time....One time....I don't understand why so many people have it except that it has to be wax that I haven't used. What a mystery this is. My waxes haven't done that. That is why I miss Candlewic's waxes. I finally had it all figured out until I moved across the world (smile).....but still....your candles look great. Donita

It's a sad day when you can judge when a season comes by whether or not there's fingernailing in your candles. :embarasse

We'll never really find out what causes fingernailing, but I know from my experience it has something to do with humidity and I'm actually beginning to believe we help it along by how hot we pour our wax. Has anyone ever found fingernailing in rustics? Or marbles for that matter? I haven't and I've poured in extreme temperatures.

I'm actually really starting to like rustics more than I thought, if I can figure out a way to just get the jump lines for texture then I'm going to start doing that and not worry about the sleek candles BECAUSE of fingernailing and other issues (pin holes, warming the molds, heat, heat and more heat). I've learned to embrace my jump lines, what can I say?

The only time I've ever had that happen was with the 4625, I'm glad I only bought 10 lbs. to play with. I won't be buying any more. It really sux when you make a nice looking candle and then a few days later you look at it and it's got the fingernails.

Once before when the subject of fingernailing came up, someone suggested heating the wax to over 200 and letting it cook for about 30 minutes before doing anything else with it. I never tried that. I just blended my 4625 (at about 10%) in with some of candlewic's CBL 141 and that particular batch of CBL 141 was doing the brainy thing, so the blend cured both the fingernailing and the brainy thing..lol.I had much more of the 141 hence the 10% cut of 4625.

Once before when the subject of fingernailing came up, someone suggested heating the wax to over 200 and letting it cook for about 30 minutes before doing anything else with it.

Yup, I've heard that before. It used to be suggested alot. Doesn't work :embarasse I tried that the summer before last many times. I even tried going up to about 230 for about 45 minutes and all the ranges in between.

Kitty, I don't think I've ever gotten classic fingernailing in rustics, but I do seem to get pockets just under the surface where the layers are thin. The yellow orange pyramid from a couple weeks ago has a ring around it of those. I'll try to get a pic of it taken in the next couple days and add it here.

I agree that it seems to be from a heat/umidity combo. I pour in in extreme heat sometimes and have trouble sometimes. I actually had it happen to a batch of peanut butter cookie 16oz jars last summer and LIKED fr that jar( crazy huh) of course i havent been able to get it to do it again for the same scent/jar just in the stuff I DONT want it in:rolleyes2

The >200F for a time didn't work for me either - I tried EVERYTHING - additives where the only thing that helped. I'm sure Satin remembers those threads!

Donita, that is REALLY strange that you mentioned what you did, I've been using the candlewic waxes lately (not that I've been pouring tons of pillars), and I have NOT come across that fingernailing issue. I'd forgotten all about it actually. I'll have to try it and see if I can make them show up again in this heat.

I use 4625 all the time and the ONLY time I got fingernailing was when I bought a certain fo from Ebay that caused it,,,since I stopped using this FO it has stopped the fingernailing. I dont believe it has anything to do with the heat at all,,,I believe its certain types of Fos,,,

I use 4625 all the time and the ONLY time I got fingernailing was when I bought a certain fo from Ebay that caused it,,,since I stopped using this FO it has stopped the fingernailing. I dont believe it has anything to do with the heat at all,,,I believe its certain types of Fos,,,

The heat/humidity can be quite a bit higher here in the south, so that may be why you don't have the problem. I dunno. I don't use FO's from ebay. The majority of mine are Peaks and Bitter Creek. And I use the same FO, even the same bottles from winter into summer, yet the ones from other seasons are clear...

Yup, Henry, I remember all too well. I've yet to find anything that works here. I plan on experimenting with additives throughout this month. *crosses fingers* :laugh2:

Maybe it's the aliens again, Ducky? Where's Top when you need him!

I thought I locked the pet door! :P

I'm afraid even Top can't help on this one. He was in on the last go around that Henry referred to I believe.

We need some one with a hermatically sealed, environment controlled room, that can simulate atmospheric conditions to do some testing... :laugh2:

I've got tons of time on my hands and a thermometer in the garage where my workshop is. I'll pour some sleek candles and notate the temp, time, dew point, humidity and barometric pressure. If I get fingernails, then we can at least go off what I come up with.

Hey, it's worth a shot, right? Anything to try to put these little PITA's in their place!

I've got tons of time on my hands and a thermometer in the garage where my workshop is. I'll pour some sleek candles and notate the temp, time, dew point, humidity and barometric pressure. If I get fingernails, then we can at least go off what I come up with.

Hey, it's worth a shot, right? Anything to try to put these little PITA's in their place!

Ahhh, great minds think alike :highfive: I started doing this yesterday.;)

I know you don't want to hear this but I actually like how the "finger nailing" looks lol

I think its neat looking!! I am just learning to make pillars but I also live in the south where the temps and humidity SUCK from here through September. I guess I can make the neat looking candles like this without trying. Most people don't know they aren't supposed to be there so I will tell them its a trade secret how I made that design :laugh2: