Snowflake pillar, how on earth!?

Hi,

I intended making a lavender coloured pillar to use as a core pillar for a filigree/ice candle.

This is how it turned out. I'd love to know how I did it, I think it looks lovely lol.

Just the normal amount of fo and colour, and vybar.

snowflake.jpg

The filigree candle is on another thread

It's a type of mottling. I've had mine do that when I just added stearic at about 2-3 tbsps per pound because I knew it would give me more of a snowflake affect. If you added vybar it shouldn't mottle. How much vybar did you add?

Ignore the vybar, I'm a dope, there wasn't any. Just checked notes. Good job I write them lol.

So was 6% fo and paraffin.

Gonna pour two more, one with parma violet (always want to put parma violent!) and one in another fo, see what happens.

if you got the parma violet from Jo, then she bought that wholesale from me so I know for a fact that it's a strong, fabulous and top quality oil.

You get this mottling when you pour too hot. Try pouring a candle much hotter than normal and see what you get.

if you got the parma violet from Jo, then she bought that wholesale from me so I know for a fact that it's a strong, fabulous and top quality oil.

You get this mottling when you pour too hot. Try pouring a candle much hotter than normal and see what you get.

well I never! didn't know that Nat :)

so really my wax AND fo's are coming from you lolol. so why aren't you selling fo's too? ;)

will try one at 190 and one with bit of vybar at 150 both with parma. I can't get enough of this smell anyway, its soooooooo nice and so strong!

Is the lavender yours too Nat. That has to be by far, the strongest fo I've come across.

I have a votive burning in my lounge which is 22ft x 13ft and when I came in the back door, (with kitchen in between) I could smell it!

Thanks scented, will try one at 150 too with couple grains of vybar, think I may have a couple of grains left lol

That is what I refer to as "random mottling" which is what I like. Scented is right about adding a few grains of vybar to settle down the mottling. With straight mottling waxes you usually get a complete mottle...fine for some things, but I like the snowflake look...I pour my mottles at 180, and 3% stearic. I have cut back the scent oil to about 3 - 4% and find that my scent throw is fine. But again, this is all subjective. Everyone has their preferences. I don't like oily candles. And....I think your candle is beautiful. Donita

thanks Donita,

well I poured another one today, its 9oz wax, 0.6% parma violet fo, no additives, just straight paraffin.......... poured at 190.

just demoulded it and it worked, yesssssssssssssss

no big clumps this time either, its very uniform, I'm well happy :D

some lovely snowflake candles on my list now then hehe.

Wonder if its just that oil, going to replicate it later with another oil.

yeeeeeeee hahhhhhh

lol, just doing another one now, did two more this afternoon.

I tried strawberry, that didn't work. Tried a cherry burst that didn't (but that was a melted down and I can't swear I didn't have any vybar in it ;)

Today I've made egg nog and cinnamon, just going to pour a christmas splendor.

Egg nog didn't work, but only have 0.3fo and need 0.6 so that could be part of the mystery. The cinnemon did work, that was only 0.4fo (bottle I got when I first started from hobbycrap)

Will let you know about christmas splendor tomorrow.

Wanted to photograph them all together. I'm dying to test them lol

Camera batteries charging as we speak. When to take piccie earlier of ice candle and I hadn't switched the charger on, when I thought I'd charged them! doh!