ISO large mixing bowls

itsmejeffd

For those of you doing 4 to 6 lb batches of CP, what do you use for mixing your oils and lye? I mean the bowl not the stick blender or spatula. So far, I've only been making 2 lb batches for testing. I've developed a base recipe that's been getting rave reviews from my testers and now I'm ready to make larger batches. I've designed and built my 4 lb mold which I'll try to post tonight in the gallery. Right now, I'm using an 8 cup measuring cup but I need something bigger. I know to stay away from aluminum. Any suggestions would be great especially if I can find it local.

TIA

I was actually going to post the same question at some point. I have been using a large plastic mixing bowl I bought on clearance at Target. I have made 3lbs in it so far and I could probably get 2 more pounds to fit. I want something that will mix 5-8lbs but am not sure exactly how large I need to go. I hope some have ideas and pictures too.

I do know that some have said they mix their soap in those plastic pails you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes for a couple dolllars. For me, my stick blender isnt' long enough to work in those.

I use a 2qt rubbermaid (kool-aid or drink mix) pitcher for my lye and water. Fills about 1/3 way for a 10lb batch. Plus it has a pour spout and handle so I dont have to worry about it slipping in my hands as I pour it into the oils. My oils stay in my stock pot. When I mix the two together, its all done in the stock pot with my stick blender, plus whatever additives I chose to add. Everything gets measured using a stainless steel nesting bowl. Lye gets mixed with the water using a stainless steel slotted spoon, with a long handle. HTH!

Walmart has a set of 4 stainless steel stock pots for $20.00. I use these for all different sizes of soap batches, from as little as 3 lbs up to 15 lbs. And I still had TONS of room in the largest pot, even with 15 lbs of soap in there. This set was one of the best purchase I made. Honestly makes me wonder how in the world I only survived with one before. Added plus, they all nestle inside each other for very easy storage!