wickless candles and sales

LauraInNY

Mine did pretty well for a while there. Thought I was going to retire the old wicked ones. OK not really, but they were going strong for a while, then remained steady (but not selling more than the wicked ones) and are now I've had another spurt of them.

I like the wickless ones, much easier than the wicked ;)

Definitely offer candle wamers with them. For me they seem to appeal to Mom's who don't want their teenagers burning candles in their bedroom and the elderly. Should do well for people who can't burn candles at work but I've not had much luck in that area.

Thanks Sara and Sharyl. I'm thinking I'm gonna giv'em a go. It seems like you can load up the wax with scent and not worry about wicking it. The best of both worlds- Great deal!!!

Any recommendations on jar sizes and prices?

Has anyone ordered from Harvest Scents and Traders? They have some really cool stuff. Thinking about placing an order but was wondering if anybody has used them before.

My co-workers have gone wild over my wickless candles, though I didn't intend to start out selling them. It all started when I took some of my wicked candles to work and placed them on a warmer because we can't have an open flame and they were so impressed by how they were able to smell it throughout the building that they started asking to buy them. I first made them using 8 oz jelly jars, but switched to 8 oz square mason jars because they melt much better than the jj's.

I'm doing a craftshow in a couple of weeks of wickless candles w/warmers, electric warmers and a few other items. I'll post how it goes.

I am selling a ton of wickless candles. The ladies in my law school office constantly burn them and then buy them for their homes as well. They love that there isn't a flame, so less chance of setting something on fire. I like them because they are easy to make, lol. I also sell the warmers from Bittercreek, now that our local Wal-MArt has discontinued them :yay: . I would love to get some warmers from Levines too, but alas, I don't have my tax ID yet. Oh well.

Yes, yes, definitely offer the warmers as well as the candles. Doh.

Hey, and with the wickless, you don't really *need* to "load up" on more scent. Because it is warmed and there is not flame burning off scent, you can get an even better throw with less FO I've found. :thumbsup:

Well had about 30 people ask about them and how they work.So they are not known in this area.One guy did say he has one and it is on a timer so he never forgets to turn it off when going to bed.The thing is I told them you use a candle warmer and you can get them at Wal Mart and showed them what i had also for sale.No interest. 2 family members got warmers and a candle.They came back and said it didn't work but I asked if they let it burn completely and they said NO they left before that and turned it OFF.Gonna call them back to see how it went.They were working at this show and also help organize it but never knew I did candles so they got some good deals.

I will always have them but not alot.I am still testing for ones that do best.I did make a mistake and said "We now have wickless" so maybe those 30 thought that was all we made. I finally realized to add to that sign(wicked) but may have been to late.I know I would have done better even though I made 2x my booth fee.The next show I made 6 times my booth fee but did have a sale on some candles.Still though with the sale it was great profit.I had a hard time keeping up.Also got a outside order and she picked it up.All total (show and outside order)from her was almost $100.00.

I think things are picking up this year but I was worried.With gas prices I thought people would not be spending.I have about 10 more shows I am looking into.Our paper listed about 100 shows in the area.I stay close by but when my husband retires we may travel a distance.

Still not sure about these but do read in other areas they sell good.

LynnS

I am looking for the 8oz "Ball® Collection Elite™ Platinum Jar" that come 4 to a pkg. I bought some at Walmart a couple of months ago and never used them. Now when I'm looking for them, I can't find them. Figures...:rolleyes2 I'll have to see if I can find them. Should I use a larger jar of say 16 oz? And more throw for the same FO - cool beans. It just gets better.

Would you charge the same as the wicked jars of the same weight? Dumb question huh. Oh well it's been a long week and it's only weds.

Angela, I looked last night and it looks like we just missed a Levines co-op. Bummer.

I hadn't sold any wickless until today! LOL

I gave one to a lady who's a teacher, she was talking about her classroom smelling really bad. She told me the other day she's had other people coming into her classroom just to see what that fabulous smell was!

And then one of her coworkers called me today and ordered 3 (plus a 16oz jar).

I sell them in the 6oz tins. I personally think too big of a container hinders the throw because it takes so long to melt. The container melts from the bottom up and if you have too much wax to melt, it's going to take forever for people to get the full scent available...JMO

My Wal-Mart still has these jars, you may want to check around. Also, Trish is right - the larger the jar, the longer it takes to melt. That's why I like the short squat jars. If I couldn't use the Ball jars, I would go with the tins too. They work really well. I tried the square masons, but I think they take a while to melt - longer than the tins. Good luck finding jars.

It must be my lucky day. My wal-mart had lots of these 8oz platinum Ball jars. I think they will work great. I got a few pkgs to start. I talked to the guys at CountryMax too and they said they could order them year round for me if I need them. Yippee!!!:D

How many oz do you get in a 6 oz tin? I think the jars will hold 6 oz like the 8 oz jj's. What is a good price for them? I am getting $6 for an 8 oz wicked jj candle if I sell outright and if I sell it through the gift shop I sell for $6.99 cuz they take a commission. Is this close to what you all are getting?

i have never sold them Laura but round here you can buy an 8 oz jj for $5, so i figure that would be the price for those i'm not sure, when i get all my scents, & wax in then i will be able to figure out what to cxharge better. also i have to test and see if the wickless candle last as long as a 8 oz wicked jj. and one more question for those that makes and sell already, do you think wax expands when it gets hot? i don't fill mine up to top because i have notice that when my ( kyparsoy ) gets hot it seems to get fuller in the jar, maybe its just me LOL!

In my experience they last a little longer.

I even have people who set them on their nightstand and open the lid, never using a warmer. (They last a long time good for them but repeat sales slow down - LOL).

There are several warmersmout there in the market and some have different wattages, so if you try doing a comparison that may figure in - just a thought.

Personally, OK many of you cringe, I use a coffee cup warmer. BUT advise and sell regular candle warmer.

FWIW

David one of mine i use is a coffee warmer also, i broke the cup to it. but the others are candle warmers from walmart the coffee mug warmer is higher watts. shary , i'll be putting in a warmer in with mine ( tarts & wickless candle) but will let people that already have a warmer just buy the tarts or candle.

Well I got some wickless jars made today. I'm bummin though cuz I could only get 5 oz in the 8 oz jar. Angela, you said you use these jars. Is this the case with you? I'm still happy with the way they turned out. Also made some tarts (really cute leaves in fall colors), 5" pumpkin pies w/crumbly topping and blueberry cobblers. Oh, I also made a couple dozen jar candles (kinda boring after the other stuff). HaHaHa :D

I'll have to get my camera out...

Now to package and label it all. FUNFUNFUN.

Well I got some wickless jars made today. I'm bummin though cuz I could only get 5 oz in the 8 oz jar. Angela, you said you use these jars. Is this the case with you? I'm still happy with the way they turned out. Also made some tarts (really cute leaves in fall colors), 5" pumpkin pies w/crumbly topping and blueberry cobblers. Oh, I also made a couple dozen jar candles (kinda boring after the other stuff). HaHaHa :D

I'll have to get my camera out...

Now to package and label it all. FUNFUNFUN.

Yeah, I use the Ball Elite Platinum jars. They fit perfectly on the warmer and people love them. I think mine hold 5.2 oz of wax. Unless Wal-mart stops carrying them, I won't change jars. They look really nice and melt quickly.

I make and sell the clamshells and they are selling VERY well for me and I would love to carry wickless candles but I wonder what jar to put them in? I always pour up through the throat on a jar and you certainly can't do that with wickless so it would be less wax as well as no wick. I personally don't like the tins.

JJ around here go for $5.50 a jar and there are plenty around. Also, I do soy wax candles only.

The reason I have never sold anything smaller is because I figured the customers would coose smaller over larger. I do 16oz pint size wick jars poured through the throat.

I think a lot of us are using the Ball Platinum Elite Wide Mouth 8oz jars. They seem to be perfect for the wickless jars. They hold about 5oz of wax. You can get them at Wal-Mart for about $4 a 4 pack. HTH

edited to add: brought my wickless candles to the store that I sell through on friday and sold 2 so far and have orders from other customers for 3 more. People are gearing up for candle burning I guess. It probably helps that we just got a cold spell coming through. WOOHOO!!

post-287-139458382606_thumb.jpg