How are these done??????

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Candle Man....I remember that post now. That is what I am envisioning but designing it myself.....but along those lines....I may be off from what Kristi is doing, but I will probably kill myself trying to figure this out. I really don't need to do these but I just want to......you know all about this candle insanity as much as I do (smile).......Donita

K, this is thinking out loud and I've had no clue if this would work or anything:

What about heating the candle through, just barely, so it doesn't lose shape or drip but has a sort of imprint (like when you press your thumb into wax it sticks the shape, but you get none on your thumb) , then using a firm pressure? Maybe it's a bit harder wax or something, then when heated, you just push it in?

The other thought I had, is that they have some sort of plate, and take a candle and roll it horizontally over a plate to impress it?

Can the stamp be affixed to the side of the mold, then the candle poured and when set, the rubber stamp removed to leave the deep imprint?

I really have no idea, but it seems to me that stamping them in would cause a billowing out of wax and you wouldnt have that smooth surface.

Oh..........could I possibly make it smaller!!! LOL! Anyway i just stamped this crummy test everlasting candle I make the other day. I just heated the rubber stamp with my hair dryer and stamped the candle. As I said before in this thread..........they do make a deep etch rubber stamp which would be nicer.

DSCF0666.jpg

I just bought some more molds from her and this is what she told me:

regarding no one can figure it out...thats why ive had the market for this product and have sold millions of dollars worth of candles!!

now a person could just make silicone molds. the only problem is the huge captial investment! kristi

I love this woman. She is truly and artist and inventor. Donita

Is it really that expensive to have a few custom silicone molds? I can't imagine a huge capital on just a few of them...

A 3"X6" pillar mold averages around $20.00 and up. Now for production you would need dozens, in order to make the quanity needed. So yes it would be expensive. Plus she has different shapes & sizes so that would put the molds needed in the thousands of dollars.

They use to live in our neighborhood. Their pottery accessories are a major driving force of their business.

From what I can see in the pictures, I'll go ahead and speculate at to how one might do those candles. The photos, btw, are more like computer renditions, so I don't know how much the candles actually resemble the images depicted on the site.

The variety of candle shapes suggests tin molds. Aluminum isn't available in the variety of shapes. Silicone or rubber molds are possible. But if it were silicone or rubber, we'd probably see embossed candles as well as debossed candles since you can do both with silicone or rubber molds. So, let's assume tin molds.

One could apply a thin vinyl magnetic sheeting to the back of a rubber stamp, and stick it to the inside of a tin mold. Since thin vinyl magnets are not that strong, the candle should slide out of the mold fairly easily. And then the stamp could be peeled from the unmolded candle with very little effort, leaving the debossed image.

Cheers,

Alan :smiley2:

Silicon (and urethane) molds are wonderful things! All you need is a good master from which to make the mold! I do other artwork that requires the use of molds and have made wonderful impressions using actual leaves for impressions or tracing lettering (printed on a tranparency) with silicon rubber or liquid leading. When the casting is demolded, the raised lettering becomes recessed into the casting. The crispness of the lines in the candles (from what I could see) made me think of a die at first, but usually when one uses a die, there is always a trace line surrounding it somewhere because of pressing the cold or hot die into the surface (especially a curved surface); so, in the absence of obvious casting lines, my money is on a silicon glove mold that was made from a carefully hand-crafted original. Once you have the master made, you can make many molds from it. Silicon molds last a long time, especially when one treats them well.

Alan.....I left all of my "stuff" in Virginia so trying to find supplies in a resort town is going to be the challenge. I found a couple of magnets here and there but not what I need. I had everything I needed for just about any craft project (except welding and stained glass.....didn't get to those yet)......I am so frustrated, but made a call to the UPS Store and they have some magnets. I know this is going to work. Somehow. I'm on a mission now. Donita

Places like Office Max and Office Depot have refrigerator magnets for sticking your business card to. They're reasonably priced for the amount you get, and you can attach any kind of paper to them to get rid of the stickiness.

I dunno, the woman sounds a bit shady to me...capitalizing MILLIONS with embossed candles. She'd need to be running a factory. Most times secrets come down to something incredibly simple. I doubt she's a rocket scientist with the formula for uranium enrichment...but she guards her "secret" as if she were!

My sister dabbles in ancient pagan stuff. She makes candles that look just like the ones you posted but with pagan symbolic stamps (celtic swirls and very cool designs). I will try to get a pic of one when I return to the USA, but she told me they are pretty common in her circles. I knew right away when I saw your post with the star as it reminded me of a candle my sister has in her bedroom (that she made). They are called Candle Seals and have been used through history, so not a new thing. My sister said you can get custom designs as one of her friends got one for his wedding ritual. Cool stuff. Check out this site about them:

http://www.capricornslair.com/canstamcanem.html

:tiptoe: Soooo possibly these are her secret:

Good luck! Hope I've helped.

Ilona

PS if she's making millions, a few silicome molds wouldn't break her. And why not just start off with one or two...etc. Sound like she is trying to talk you out of figuring it out...Something is stinky poo poo about this secret business :whistle: