Martha mold newbie here

katshe

I just picked up a martha utensil mold and was wondering how much soap per section do I figure, Also m this mold seems bit larger that my m& p soaps that I have made previously.

What size are your soaps measurements and weight?

Also just picked up lye at ace hardware, It says 100 % lye and is rooto brand, sound right?

Going to dive into the cphp method this week , still a bit nervous..only thing keeping me from starting is- the right recipe for a hard bar with moisture and bubbles and also keeping cost down is the other thing.

I have read the recipe section and like Darwins and Quiet girls soap recipes.

But still wondering if a lard recipe is more what I am looking for to start with.

Any advise?

:yay:

Kathy

If you make a 7 pound (of oils) batch (I'm talking CP or HP here because I don't know melt and pour) that will fill each cavity nearly to the top. so 2.33 pounds of oils per cavity. If memory serves you cut each of these into seven bars and you will have 6 + oz mega bars. These were too big for me and my martha warped in and over heated batch so I went back to my log molds.

Bethany

I dont use my martha mold for mp only cp. Each cavity does hold about 37oz for me anyway but it depends on how you want to cut your bars. I dont fill my cavities all the way up , then i swirl and cut every 3" or so. This way the prettiest part of the swirl is on the front of my bars. I get about 7 bars from each cavity.

I am planning on doing a cphp batch soon and maynot use this martha mold as it seems too large, I would like soap to be 4oz ea so I may use my homemade log mold instead, holds 2lbs...just thought martha mold would be better for a larger batch

thanks all

I do 3lb HP to fill 1 cavity. You don't want to go over 4lbs in the crock pot or you'll overflow. I mark off and cut the bars just over 1 inch thick~you get about a 4oz bar that way. Line it with freezer paper and just grease the ends with either mineral oil or petroleum jelly, as they don't saponify.

These are from a Martha Mold. spellcinnamaple.jpg

Thanks guys for the figures, Never knew how to figure how much soap per container...that was super helpful.

I am going to try 3 lb batch tomorrow

Bonne, Your soap looks scrumptious, can't wait to try this.

Still wondering which recipe to use

Looking for conditioning and bubbly and hard bar

Going yo run this through the calculator, What do you think.

And also Need to get lard but not sure where.

Lard 25%

olive 40%

coconut 25%

caster 5%

shea or mango 5%

Lard is at the grocery store, usually in the same aisle as the oils. It should be on the bottom shelf. You could also look in the meat dept as sometimes it's refridgerated. You can find it in blocks and buckets.

I cannot recall if we already recommended this, but try Darwin's basic recipe posted in the recipes section. It's hard, lathers great, and is conditioning. The finished soap comes out better than the calculators would have you believe (which happens quite often).

Lard is found in the grocery store. It doesn't need to be refrigerated so it can be sticky to locate. I generally find it in the vacinity of the eggs and margarine tho.

Your recipe looks very nice. I like coconut at 20-25%

Lard 25% and the rest is liquid oils (soy/corn/etc) and maybe some shea or bison tallow. Those in the pic, are all HP soaps in the MM~3lbs oils, cut 1-1.25"thick bars ~I get about 13 bars or so. Have fun!!!;)