Flower Hurricanes

Floral Luminaries? Whatever ya wanna call them...lol. The yellow one is just weeds from my woods to practice on since it's been well over a year since I've tried these. Then 2 pansies and a rose... They haven't been over dipped yet, maybe tomorrow.

post-27-139458426364_thumb.jpg

post-27-139458426368_thumb.jpg

post-27-13945842637_thumb.jpg

post-27-139458426371_thumb.jpg

i painted a bunch of these for my store just before mothers day and sold quite a few. They're pretty big sellers. People just love the flowers. I find everyone has a favorite flower or a color skem they are going with. I had requests for pansies, violets and roses in all sorts of colors. Your's look lovely. Yes even the weeds lol. I'm partial to pansies myself. Keep painting they look great!!

Thanks ya'll. They are attached with tacky wax painted onto the back. Then 1343 painted onto the front, heated and air pressed out. Donita's method mostly, though hers are always much more complex. I still hope to be able to make bouquets more like hers some day. :yay: I'm just not that good at arranging the flowers. The over dip will be 1343 as well.

shopkeypurr... I'm not that talented painting I'm afraid. These are dried flower that I picked and pressed.

those are gorgeous.

Can I ask is sticky wax, wax glue in the UK? also, we don't have 1343 in the UK, so is there anything that can be added to normal paraffin to do these?

one last question ;) is that a special mould to get that shape?

would love to have a go at these

Wow......SatinDucky.....those are soooooooo pretty. I have a box or paraffin and beeswax orbs done but haven't sat down and put on the flowers. Yours are so simple and beautiful!!!!!!!

And....for those who want to know about sticky wax....it is soft micro. I have also been using white beeswax to make the flowers stick. Works find. Donita Louise

PS....just got off of the phone after one hour and Michigan Bulb is replacing a $200 order......I've got some great flowers coming. They shipped them to me in March......the planting date for where I live is mid June. Their bad.

omg!!! I've got micro soft :yay: :yay: :yay:

sorry just so excited to have something at last hehe, so you melt a bit and brush it on, then put the flowers on?

whoooo hoooo something else to try. I think hurricanes are gonna be my fav, once I master them :)

What kind of tacky wax are you getting? They don't make the micro wax that Donita uses anymore...are you using the tacking wax they sell in Michaels in the yellow container?

Thanks ya'll. They are attached with tacky wax painted onto the back. Then 1343 painted onto the front, heated and air pressed out. Donita's method mostly, though hers are always much more complex. I still hope to be able to make bouquets more like hers some day. :yay: I'm just not that good at arranging the flowers. The over dip will be 1343 as well.

shopkeypurr... I'm not that talented painting I'm afraid. These are dried flower that I picked and pressed.

Actually, I don't often use balloons. I always have trouble getting them to be rounds enough and the same size (I don't have Donitas experience...lol). I use a 5" saturn mold to make the shells mostly now. For the balloons, fill it with warm water. Your wax should be melted, but just hot enough to keep the skin from forming on top. Others dip repeatedly until the shell is the thickness they want. I'm lazy. I rubberband 2 skewers together close to the middle and pinch the knot of the balloon in between. Then set it down in the pot so the skewers are on the rim holding it. I lift it out occasionally to see how thick it is. When it's how I want it, I dunk it in cool water then pop the balloon. Trim the top rim and flatten the bottom and you're ready to go.

The shell itself is IGI 1260 for hurricanes, but any high MP wax would work. The 1343 is just plain paraffin. The only thing I add to is is UV inhibitor.

The tacky wax is actually micro soft whatever, as Donita said. I bought it a couple years ago from CandleWic I think. 1 lb goes a long ways when you're using a paint brush....lol. (Any soft sticky wax should work fine though) You actually paint it on the back of the flowers and leaves. After you paint the plain paraffin on top of the flower, use a heated butter knife or something to press all the trapped air out.

Donita.. speaking of bulbs... have any idea what could be used for daffodil stems?? I pressed some last spring. The flowers did great. The stems and leave turned a washed out ugly tan color. I can't seem to find anything wide enough to use for the stems. I have some monkey grass leaves drying now to see if they hold their color, but I'm not holding my breath :embarasse

These shells were made last year. They've been waiting a looong time for me to get the flowers put on...LOL

For stems....sometimes I press huge leaves and then cut them to size. Just look around for some long leaves...like hosta leaves.....that would give you enough to play with. Lots of green turn brown quickly....others turn gradually...but all green fades to brown....eventually. Or you can mix a little green paint with gel medium and brush it on after they have been pressed. It keeps the green green. Kinda. Donita Louise