Do many candle makers also make soap?

Its just I've spotted a really good auction on ebay, that seems to have everything I'd need to start off inc. 17kg of soap base.

Its got my creative juices going lolol.

I know, I know, I should perfect candles first, but its got me thinking :D

so... anyone on here make soap too?

lol, ooh don't tempt me, provided it doesn't go too high, I've got a bit of birthday money left ;) major postage though due to the 17kg of soap base.

It's melt and pour, better take a mosey on down to the soap board and see how hard soap making is ;)

I don't do melt and pour, but soap bases, as with many other things, range from good to the downright scary. If it's 17 kg of skin-peeling crap, you're better off buying from a reputable dealer. Also, making soap from scratch isn't hard, and lots of fun.

Hi wick'n'wax. I looked into soap making too. I thought it would be a great idea to do both candles with matching soap and bath products. You know create that whole home spa aroma thing. Ha ha ... then I found out about UK & EU certification :shocked2:. What a palaver! The hoops you have to go through if you are going to make and sell soap and b&b products. Registering with the local DTI, weights and measures and getting each and every product tested for skin and health safety. Too much cost, too many headaches.

You can get pre certified stuff but I'm not too sure whether that still has to go to the lab for testing. Seems all too complicated for me so I'm sticking at candles and other home fragrancing products, for the time being.

I'd love to do soaps and b&b products but not for now.

Ruby

I started with candles and since I don't have them perfected to my satisfaction yet, I started with sachets, lip balm, air freshners and recently M&P which was very easy and fun. I have everything I need to make some CP soap but I just can't seem to do it yet!

I do. I do. I don't know which I like more. :undecided Started candles before Christmas and CP soap after Christmas. I am now trying rebatched soap. Not doing well yet but it will come. I have made some fantastic soaps using recipes that I stole from people on this site. :wink2: Darwin's Favorite is now my favorite (of course, I tweeked it a little to suit me)

HI Wick

Soap making is fun, but before you get all excited at the thought of selling them, please be aware that you are not legally allowed to sell soap in this country unless they are fully certified. Even if you get certified base, certified scent and certified dye - the minute you combine those 3 elements, the end product is no longer certified - and that will be £60 per recipe. So if you wanted to make strawberry soap with poppy seeds, or strawberry soap with rose petals - that's £120. Every time you change the recipe or add the tiniest thing, you need to have that recipe certified, so having a range of soap of say, 10 fragrances will cost a minimum of £600 to certify - not including the costs of the actual raw materials. Not only this, there are hundreds of soap sellers on ebay, so you will be in an even more competitive market than candles - and if you should try to sell without certification, you risk a £10,000 fine.

Making it for yourself is fabulous - but I'm guessing that if you are looking to buy 17kgs of base, you want to sell it. I'm afraid that is going to cost you enormously - and all the hand-made soap sellers in the UK will not hesitate to dob you in to the authorities for selling uncertified soap as it is rampant. I have had so many "requests for certification" from the authorities based upon "following up concerns made by an individual" - luckily all my soap is fully certified so I have no issues.

Don't waste your money on soap when your skills as a candlemaker are so new - I noticed you were already asking about votive packaging so it seems you're wanting to sell pretty soon - i'd concentrate on that before branching out - it's best to take your time and get it right than to rush and potentially cause injuries or damage. I'd also start looking for your insurance now - it's about £100 a year but if you don't have it, you are liable for enormous lawsuits should anything go wrong with one of your candles - whether it's your fault or not.

jeez louise, thanks nat, i didnt realise it was that involved. Glad i didn't win now lol.

Yep, I'm hoping to sell some candles in the near future, so getting packaging ready, think i've figured out the bag size lol.

I'm concentrating on testing one type of candle at a time at the mo

jeez louise' date=' thanks nat, i didnt realise it was that involved. Glad i didn't win now lol.

Yep, I'm hoping to sell some candles in the near future, so getting packaging ready, think i've figured out the bag size lol.

I'm concentrating on testing one type of candle at a time at the mo[/quote']

yep - it's that involved - you should see the document you have to prepare for each recipe - 5 pages long with words so complicated you'd think they were arabic.

yep - it's that involved - you should see the document you have to prepare for each recipe - 5 pages long with words so complicated you'd think they were arabic.

Does this go for bath bombs, bath melts, lip balms and lotion bars etc too? Or just soap?

Anjie,x.

Does this go for bath bombs, bath melts, lip balms and lotion bars etc too? Or just soap?

Anjie,x.

Hi Anjie

I think it applies to everything. It's all classed as health and beauty and anything that you are going to sell to put on sosmeone's skin has to be rigorously tested. As Nat said, if you haven't got your stuff certified you're in serious doo doo. I lurked for a bit on a UK soapmaking forum and I can tell you a legit soaper will dob you in if you haven't got the right paperwork. I think that the local DTI come round and spot check where you make your soap and stuff, too. Nat will probably put us straight on that score.

Like I said earlier I toyed with the idea but gave it up when I found out about all the testing and the costs!! Candles are a hell of lot less bovver.

Ruby