Issues with CS Glass Glow/just a rant!

Ok...I really love this wax but seem to be having some issues!

1. Tried several different containers with the suggested wick size from CS and still cannot get a complete burn. It seems to always get hung up on one side! :cry2:

2. Suggested wicks seem to be leaning in my wax...not sure how to explain it but they seem to lean over on one side making my burn uneven! :tongue2:

3. Find this wax not so easy to clean up....it seems to cool very quickly and stick to everything! :undecided

4. Have to always heat the jars to get it to form the great crystal look that is is known for...this could run into additional energy expense! :cool2:

5. Mixed it with soy 70/30 ratio and still got the great crystal look but lost some of the scent throw! :o

All in all I'm not really sure yet...but I love the look and great scent throw of this wax so I guess it is off to the lab to get it right. :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe:

1. Tried several different containers with the suggested wick size from CS and still cannot get a complete burn. It seems to always get hung up on one side! :cry2:
I tried all of the recommended CSN wicks and never did get 1 to give me a full melt pool.
2. Suggested wicks seem to be leaning in my wax...not sure how to explain it but they seem to lean over on one side making my burn uneven! :tongue2:
If it's the CSN wicks they did the exact same thing on me. I'm trying the GG with LX wicks now and am having much better luck.

I am noticing the same issues, and I would love to hear how folks are getting a full MP, and how many burns it is taking!

It has been a headache and a half for me to get anything CLOSE to the great stuff I have seen here, and in all honesty, for ME, it isn't worth all the extra effort. I could never sell anything that hangs up like this, not even close. It is a big effort to pour one, and get it close to what I'd love to see, let alone pour more than that!!!:undecided

BUT you're right about the throw! It is AWESOME!:o

I ended up double wicking my 16 oz apothecary jar with 2 LX 18s and I'm getting a full melt pool. I did have a small ledge on the 1st burn but I'm 1.5 hours into the 2nd burn now and the ledge is gone and the MP is great.

I hate double wicking but if that's what is going to work with this wax then I'll do it because I love the looks and the hot throw.

I'm going to try my tester with the 2 LX 20s this evening and see if it does better than the 18s.

I just purchased a Palm Wax container candle today at Whole Foods Market just to see how it burns, it is made by Aloha Bay and is about 8" tall by 2" wide. Seems like the more narrow the container the better the melt pool...don't know what will happen once it gets down into the jar since it is so tall it might start to flicker and soot! :confused:

i tried a 51c wick in a 4oz. 12 sided jar with the palm wax & it does not even get a full melt pool. also i tried a 14csn in a 6.5oz jar with soy wax & it was no way near a full melt pool in fact it drown out. so the moral to this story is cotton's don't work in the glass glow palm & csn don't work in 100% soy.

I was sooooooooooooooooooo disappointed :cry2: when I waited to long ($$ reasons) to order the 10lb. bag of Glass Glow. Called CS and rep said they *might* open a 55lb bag and offer it in 10lb increments. (Pipe dream, I know) Rep said more was on the way from Indonesia; website now says May 10th.

Has anyone tried HTP wicks with the Glass Glow?

Is there a difference in the CS palm wax and palm wax from CandleWic? I have some from CW and made some beautiful container candles last year. Using the 12oz Metro and a CD14 wick, pink liquid color and over 1 oz FO per lb. Had a very slight film of wax but you could see through it. Burned great with a nice throw. I always twist my wicks a few of times. HTH

I just finished a 6 hour burn of one of the glass glow candles I made last week. While the longer burn has definitely cleaned the jars, the flame was big and produced black soot around the top of the jar. I have kept the candle next to me the whole time its been burning. It did finally get hot to touch at this point.

I just don't like the wicks CS has for this palm wax. I am going to pull one out and put in an LX wick to see how that does.

The one I am burning today is my light yellow vanilla bliss candle. I had tried testing a darker one last week with alot of hang up so the dye might have been affecting the wick/burn. The hot throw is amazing and I at least have half of a clean jar with one little hand up in the corner because it is a square mason jar. Had I been using a round jar with the same diameter, I feel it would have easily cleaned the sides and given a good melt pool.

I am determined to get the kinks out of this just because of the hot throw lol

I will post results as I find some success.

I agree with Jami. I love this wax and will get it wicked! The hot throw is great!

I am concentrating on the 9oz hex jars. The CSN 12 seems to work with a few FO's but I am leaning toward the CSN 14 for most. I am testing one now and the flame is not too large in this jar. When I put the CSN 14 in a larger jar like the 12oz Status the flame is huge????:undecided Go figure. I am sure there is a scientific explanation for this! LOL!

I am also going to pour a 16 oz Apothecary tonight and double wick it with 2 CSN 11.

Will update!

Once I get a good burn I will post pics of the burn times.

I haven't used the Glass Glow yet ( nor the CSN wicks ) but I find that the container palm from Candlewic has been easier to figure out which wicks than soy has been ( that's a whole nother thread:undecided ) I would imagine that all palms are similar enough that the wicking should be close.

Carol K, for some reason zinc wicks do not work well at all in palm. LX or RRD's are your best bet ( in my experience. ) I prefer the LX because RRD's seem to flicker a LOT and usually have a big honking flame. HTP's will work but I don't like the bend and uneven melt pool.

Isbennis, I never heat the jars. I heat to 210 add fo and color ( which usually brings the temp down without too much waiting and I pour at 190-200. Since I pour in my hot garage I just let them cool at room temp. without doing anything special. If it's cool in your house then you could turn the oven on until it's warm, turn it off and let the candles slow cool that way ( what I do in the winter. ) It is a hard wax. Once it's cool I clean up any spills with a paint scraper and I use a heat gun to clean the pour pots.

Jakalex, for the 9 oz hex jar either an LX-16 or LX-18 should work. I use the 18 for heavier fo's. I get a full melt pool, even flame and no soot.

Palm is a bit like soy in that it tends to burn down before melting out to the sides.

To wick the larger jars I would suggest double wicking. I know it's a major PITA but 2 smaller wicks work better than 1 large one.

One thing that no one seems to have a problem with ( I haven't read it here anyway ) is the air pockets or caverns as I call them. That in itself is enough to make me want to get a sample and try the Glass Glow.

Slight change of topic here....

Has anyone tried to do a 50/50 mix of the Glass Glow palm and the Candlewic container palm?

Just curious what that would do. I don't have any CW palm, or I'd try it.

I once tried CW container palm with a pillar palm (sort of by accident). I don't recommend it, lol. It looked like soy, no patterns at all and no glass adhesion.

Sorry, a little off topic again, but i was wondering how CW pillar feather palm would do in a container because it won't budge out of a mold with out stearic. So I bet it would adhere fine. I may have to try this.

I haven't used the Glass Glow yet ( nor the CSN wicks ) but I find that the container palm from Candlewic has been easier to figure out which wicks than soy has been ( that's a whole nother thread:undecided ) I would imagine that all palms are similar enough that the wicking should be close.

Carol K, for some reason zinc wicks do not work well at all in palm. LX or RRD's are your best bet ( in my experience. ) I prefer the LX because RRD's seem to flicker a LOT and usually have a big honking flame. HTP's will work but I don't like the bend and uneven melt pool.

Isbennis, I never heat the jars. I heat to 210 add fo and color ( which usually brings the temp down without too much waiting and I pour at 190-200. Since I pour in my hot garage I just let them cool at room temp. without doing anything special. If it's cool in your house then you could turn the oven on until it's warm, turn it off and let the candles slow cool that way ( what I do in the winter. ) It is a hard wax. Once it's cool I clean up any spills with a paint scraper and I use a heat gun to clean the pour pots.

Jakalex, for the 9 oz hex jar either an LX-16 or LX-18 should work. I use the 18 for heavier fo's. I get a full melt pool, even flame and no soot.

Palm is a bit like soy in that it tends to burn down before melting out to the sides.

To wick the larger jars I would suggest double wicking. I know it's a major PITA but 2 smaller wicks work better than 1 large one.

One thing that no one seems to have a problem with ( I haven't read it here anyway ) is the air pockets or caverns as I call them. That in itself is enough to make me want to get a sample and try the Glass Glow.

SheilaW, how wide are your 9 oz hex jars? I'm using 10 oz tumblers that are three inches wide and tried an Lx-21 and got no where near a full melt pool. The CSN 14's aren't much better.

I am burning now a 10 oz apoth jar and used 2 csn 11's in them. They are burning great, no hangup, no soot, good flame. In my 10 oz tumblers I used the csn 14 and it burned good. As far as pillars go - a 3" pillar is burning great with the 11 csn wick. It has a good "shell" around it. Real pretty:highfive:

I am burning now a 10 oz apoth jar and used 2 csn 11's in them. They are burning great, no hangup, no soot, good flame. In my 10 oz tumblers I used the csn 14 and it burned good. As far as pillars go - a 3" pillar is burning great with the 11 csn wick. It has a good "shell" around it. Real pretty:highfive:

Grama...Are you getting a full melt pool with the csn 14 in your tumbler? I keep getting some hang up on one side. How is the heat in the apoth jar with the 2 csn's? Sorry for all the questions...thanks! :o:)

ISBennis - I did get some hang-up in tumbler but it finally caught up. Of course I am a power burner! As far as the apoth jar and heat - warm to touch is all. I do not believe you could ever get a good melt though with just 1 14. I like using the 2 wicks because you don't have such a large flame. hth

my second burn in a tumbler 3" wide with a CSN 14 was much better. I have about a quarter of an inch of hangup on each side. Which I actually like some so that you can see the pattern of the wax from the glow of the candle. But to get there, I had to use a knife to pare the sides down a bit. Now that there is a CSN 16, that might be just the right size. I am only going to double wicking as a last last last resort.

I saw that there were csn 16's available...that may do the trick but my only concern was that the csn 14 was already quite the flame thrower and to go up from there could be scary. I had to keep trimming the wick to tame it and we all know that customers will most likely not do this. Let me know how you make out with the 16. ;)

Will do. Not ordering the 16s until there's more glass glow wax back in, so it will be awhile.

And I'll live with the bigger flame over double wicking. Just one of those choices you have to make.

well i have successfully wicked one. it's a 6.5oz. 12 sided jar with a csn14 wick, full melt pool, i did have to trim the wick though. i used 1oz of millcreek's banana nut bread, cold throw super strong, hot throw could be alot better. i use this in my soy & i get an awesome throw with the banana nut bread. i'm going to up the amount of fo next time.

Well I'm testing the same wick...CSN 14 in a 3" tumbler (12oz) and it's working pretty well so far. I'm not getting a great scent throw either, though. I'm wondering what I did wrong with the scent??? I used Candle Science Cinnamon Bun FO at 10%. (sometimes I tend to think more is better, but I'm trying to learn the lesson that less CAN be more...lol)

My flame is a little 'bouncy' and doing a dance a little bit, but the glass jar isn't hot to the touch.

Just my findings at this point. :grin2:

Suzy