New Palm Wax @ Candlescience

ok - Candlescience just sent me an email that they're now carrying palm wax. I love the finish on the pillars poured with this wax. They make it sound like the best and latest thing since sliced bread.

I'm just beginning and still testing wicks with my soy container wax. I'm getting better and have narrowed it down to two wicks. I've heard people here say that palm is difficult to work with. Is that true? Worse than soy??:undecided

Do you need certain types of fragrance for palm (like only certain kinds work for soy)

I think palm wax is a beautiful wax. I've made many pillars with it, however, I really don't like how they burn and their lack of scent throw is disappointing. They can be somewhat difficult to wick and you have no choice but to maintain a shell of wax otherwise you'll have wax dripping and/or pooling everywhere...you can't hug this wax and have it burn down completely like paraffin. It's not all bad though. The cold throw is usually quite good and they're very nice to have for decoration as opposed to actually burning. That's my take on it anyway, I'm sure there will be others that will agree and disagree with me so....

Palm wax can be a little tricky, it's a completely different animal.

When you make pillars, they cannot be "hugged" so to speak, this wax has brittle properties and no flexibility like paraffin. They do make *GORGEOUS* pillar candles, my favorite of all time. I have found if you heat the mold before pouring the wax in and cool *super* slow, you get better texture.

Scent throw is subjective, just like any other wax.

IMO, I have found palm to need a very long cure for optimal scent throw while burning. The cold throw is usually good. The burn is different than paraffin or soy, they usually burn down first, then out. I see they have new wicking as well, with these new Palm offerings. The Tortoise Shell Palm and Glass Glow are calling my name loudly, so I'll cover my ears. LOL!! :D

Hey that tortoise palm wax seems like my italian palm wax!

So now I know how to call mine :D

I love palm wax for its look, and everyone that sees it loves it immediately and forgets about paraffin... but I love paraffin too.

The throw on feathering palm wax is really good, I noticed crystalizing palm wax throws a litte less (I'm currently using candlewic's waxes).

Anyway no complaint abouth them at all.

You can make palm pillars as everlasting with a tealight or votive in the top. That way you get to "have you cake and eat it too" burn the pillars and they never burn down, they just stay as good looking as the day they were made.

good gravy - there aren't this many hours in a day :cheesy2: I'm still trying out the soy container and haven't gotten the proper burn on that yet....then I want to try pillars...now an everlasting candle which I have no clue how to make. Off to the tutorials. :laugh2:

You can make palm pillars as everlasting with a tealight or votive in the top. That way you get to "have you cake and eat it too" burn the pillars and they never burn down, they just stay as good looking as the day they were made.

I think this should be the next tutorial-how to make everlasting pillars!!

I just have to chime in here and say that I am by no means an expert on palm. I recently requested a sample from S&P's container palm and I have been playing around with it. I have made two 18 oz. container candles so far, and with pretty good results. The wicking is tough so far, but so is soy wax, IMO. It hasn't been any different. I personally don't have ANY problems with hot throw. (too bad I used a fo sample that I HATE to test these two candles).

With anything else, I think you just have to give it a shot yourself. I, too, read all the negative things about palm wax here but decided to try it myself only because I knew that if I never tried it I would never forgive myself.:D

I'm glad I tried it, because I think I actually like the scent throw better than my soy (my nose picks up a "funky" smell from most soy candles that gives me a headache).

Anyway, I would just suggest you try it! Good luck, and happy candle making!

This is probably going to sound like a really stupid question to a lot of you but keep in mind - *newbie* here! :tiptoe:

Candlescience recommends their new csn series for these wicks. The CSN wicks are tabbed wicks - 6". What happens if you've got a 6" or taller pillar mold???

Also, the tutorial here on pillars doesn't use tabbed wicks - it uses a wick screw on the bottom and holds the top of the wick with a wick clamp.

Soooo - how do you use these 6" pre-tabbed wicks in a pillar mold? And what do you use if you have a tall pillar?? :confused:

Well - I decided to give it a try, I ordered the feather and the glass glow or what ever the name for the container wax. I also ordered the new wicks. Of course it is impossible to order anything anywhere without throwing in a fo or 2. Decided to try the cranberry marmalade, honeysuckle jasmine, and moon lake musk. I have been real satisfied with the fo I have ordered from them so far. I'am really really excited about trying the palm wax, some very pretty pillars have been posted with this wax.

Soooo - how do you use these 6" pre-tabbed wicks in a pillar mold? And what do you use if you have a tall pillar?? :confused:

I've been wondering this myself, since I just got pretabbed wicks for my pillars for the first time. I used a wick pin, then inserted the tabbed wick in the hole from the bottom, but the tab part is actually thick enough to make my candles sit just a little off-balance when I do it that way. You could always just cut off the tab!

As for taller pillars... I have no clue.

"an entirely new wax..." http://www.candlescience.com/wick/pretabbed-wick.phpI don't think I've ever seen so much hyperbole in all the time I've been making candles. arkangle says:

They make it sound like the best and latest thing since sliced bread.
After looking at their site, they make a lot of things sound.... umm, oh so big? Palm has been on the market for years. Theirs must be really special. LOL!

"an entirely new wax..." http://www.candlescience.com/wick/pretabbed-wick.phpI don't think I've ever seen so much hyperbole in all the time I've been making candles. arkangle says:After looking at their site, they make a lot of things sound.... umm, oh so big? Palm has been on the market for years. Theirs must be really special. LOL!

There's more to CandleScience than meets the eye, especially when it comes to Wedo wicking and palm-derived products. So yes, it's marketing hyperbole but less so than you would think.

"an entirely new wax..." http://www.candlescience.com/wick/pretabbed-wick.phpI don't think I've ever seen so much hyperbole in all the time I've been making candles. arkangle says:After looking at their site, they make a lot of things sound.... umm, oh so big? Palm has been on the market for years. Theirs must be really special. LOL!

They have many years of experience in the candle business and I respect them and there advice. They do extensive research before introducing any new product and I for one respect that.

I have tested some of the palm wax and the CSN wicks. I can not say enough for the CSN wicks! They are awesome! I am switching to those for my CB135 because of the burn, scent throw and little to no soot!

I will post pics of a starburst palm I made and test burned in the candle gallery.

As far as using the pre-tabbed wicks, If your pillar mold has a hole in the botton just put a wick stickum on the outside to lug it. Once the pillar is out of the mold you drill a hole in it.

I thought this article on their site about sourcing sustainable palm oil was interesting. Seems a lot of thought was put into supplying that wax. Quite impressive.

Kudos to CS.... I'll be buying. :)

I agree! Their palm may burn like everone else's, I don't know yet, but it is cool how they have a conscience of where it comes from. For that reason alone, I will be looking into their palm waxes more.

Cool. I was just looking for those kits. I have 50 pounds of Palm (last bit from BCN) sitting in my kitchen and was looking to buy some of those wicks. I can get fairly good results in votives with the RRD and LX wicks but I have to change sizes a bit depending on the FO...Hoping these wicks will be better and more interchangeable with the FOs:)

They have many years of experience in the candle business and I respect them and there advice. They do extensive research before introducing any new product and I for one respect that.

I have tested some of the palm wax and the CSN wicks. I can not say enough for the CSN wicks! They are awesome! I am switching to those for my CB135 because of the burn, scent throw and little to no soot!

I will post pics of a starburst palm I made and test burned in the candle gallery.

As far as using the pre-tabbed wicks, If your pillar mold has a hole in the botton just put a wick stickum on the outside to lug it. Once the pillar is out of the mold you drill a hole in it.

I would love to know how you made out with the CSN wicks in your CB-135?

good gravy - there aren't this many hours in a day :cheesy2: I'm still trying out the soy container and haven't gotten the proper burn on that yet....then I want to try pillars...now an everlasting candle which I have no clue how to make. Off to the tutorials. :laugh2:

Here are some I've made..easier then wicking. Purchase a plug insert & insert in the bottom of a metal mold (where wick would go) place a glass tea light over the plug & pour your wax. Its that wasy. Heat your molds as normal & pour between 190 & 200.

post-5306-139458424406_thumb.jpg