A Newbies Blog....

I was planning on a train ride to the Grand Canyon this weekend, but my dog just cost me 500 bucks, so I don't feel like throwing money around this weekend.

So, we shall stay home, and making candles is on the agenda!

We will be making hurricanes with wrap around picture embeddments.

We will be making small containers.

Tonight, I go to Michaels and buy melting pots and thermometer.

Tomorrow we'll go to Home Depot and pick up some chain and a heat gun, and see if I can get some kind of "glue gun".

I don't want to buy a glue gun.

I want to find something that lets me re-use the containers.

I'm actually going to be trying chewing gum to stick the wicks. :P

And of course..... I have to go shopping for a digital camera that takes close ups.

Any consumer help on the camera, candle makers? Looking for a cheap camera that can take close ups.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any consumer help on the camera, candle makers? Looking for a cheap camera that can take close ups.
Might help to define cheap in terms of $$$'s. Here's one of the sites I visited when shopping for a camera: dcresource . com

Darn, with all that shopping, when ya going to have time to melt wax!!!

Oh, and you can pick up some floater molds while you're at Michaels - they carry the 2oz fluted ones that are nice for floaters and tarts.

Darn, with all that shopping, when ya going to have time to melt wax!!!

Shopping with a 9 yr old boy is very much like "man shopping". Referring to the gender based urge to lets-just-get-it-and-go-please. And when you tell a 9 yr old boy that you'll be going to four stores, he will count them down for you.

And he'll even eliminate one for you at any opportunity. He analyzed each stop, trying to justify "Why that store?" question. When I mentioned Home Depot for a chain..

"Thats it?"

"Its important." Knowing that he's formulating a strategic beg to not go there, I had to make that non-negotiable. He still probed about the chain extensively.

(They moved Wal-Mart. That's kind of a jaw dropper when you go to your Wal-Mart, and its gone. Okay, regain balance. Find new location.)

Of course he found a basketball net chain at the new WalMart.

"Look its heavy and you can wrap it around good."

I hate Home Depot parking.

"Sold"

I wonder if they closed Home Depot too.

I have everything I need. Except a heat gun - Got cheap in a moment of weakness. The reciepts were piling up.

Michaels had this cool "Sticky Wax" for wick inserts to stick. At least they were cool to glue in. We'll find out if they work. I bought a few of the nicer glass containers, and some glass western boot pepper shakers for western hurricanes. Small opening, weird shape, but they were cute.

Preparations almost complete. Nevous about having a child around being a rookie and all. Taking a break, but will be melting wax tonight.

Oh, and I got a camera. Cheapo, but the guantlet was thrown down by prior posters, so I had to step up to the plate there.

I'll be posting some pics if I turn out to be smarter than the camera.

Container wax is fun to work with. Hurricane wax is completely different.

Anyway, this entry is mostly for me to keep track. Boring stuff.

First thing we did was some containers. My first experiment to finding the perfect color for the french vanilla FO. In about 1 1/2 pound of Peaks container wax I used 5 drops of yellow liquid. I want to see what pure yellow looks like. Rookie must start somewhere.

And it turned out that it looked just like vanilla pudding. It was perfect pudding. Made me hungry making those votives and getting them out of their little votive molds. Container wax really is way to soft to make votives, but demolded fine after trip to freezer. Perfect size for glass holders. The "Ticky Wax" stuff worked great. The wicks stayed put, and are able to come off after used. I love it. Cheap and effective, and is down the road at Michaels.

I poured at 170 into three votive cups, and three half pint square glass containers. Well, that was the plan. I didn't melt enough wax. Where does the rest of it go in the melting pot? I looked like more than it was going in. So instead I have three votives and 2 containers that quite aren't to the top. A little over two pounds would have been good here. Pouring temp worked well, full glass adhesion and a second pour wasn't needed with this wax. No additives. Keep it simple at first, and learn from there.

In the containers, I let an inch of wax cool at the bottom and dropped one drop of brown dye in the center. It just fell to bottom without dispersing. I swirled the wax around with a stick until the drop of dye was distubed, and started streaking within the whirlpool. One was barely disturbed. One was slighty more swirled, and marbled wonderfully. Next time do this at first pour.

The containers look like vanilla pudding topped with cinammon. I was very happy. Very easy to do. Walmart has half pint jars by the cases. How far to top should I go on containers? Hmm.. will have to look at Gallery.

Then came the hurricane, which is still cooling. This was a beast. Thats a lot of freakin wax. The hurricane mold is the same size as the melting pot. Thank god the pot is a little taller. It takes a long time to melt 5 pounds of hurricane wax in a shallow double broiler. And it went right up to the brim. I had to scoop some out so it wasn't so full. And when that stuff hits air, BAM. Instant frost. Made a mess of my thermometer. Was hard before I could wipe it.

After pouring, I could see I won't need quite as much wax. 3 inches under rim of pot will do the trick. No water bath here. The wraparound looked like it was being pushed inside from the slow frosting on the edges. I'm afraid it seperated deeply from the edge. Paper did not expand, but mold did. Conisder putting slight bigger wraparound in after hot wax expands the mold if it pulls away too far. Did not know pouring temp, guessing about 190. Let it cool before trimming top. Almost completely cooled, and it isn't seperating from mold. Worried about mold release. Put in freezer and then thaw mold with hot sponge. Get it to expand before trying to demold. Please don't crack. I want a good picture.

Still haven't unwrapped camera. Looking forward for that tomorrow.

I'll show you "vanilla pudding" and "eggnog" candles. Hehe.

And hopefully not a complete disaster on the hurricade.

Yep, the hurricane was a disaster.

1) The thin layer of wax between the mold and the picture at the bottom of the mold stuck to the mold. Trashed. Best mold release agents will be vital.

Heatgunning metal mold before release? Heatgunning mold during cooling? Will try different things.

2) I bent the top of the mold trying to demold the monstrosity. Tweaked it pretty good.

3) Hurricane wax is so hard to get off of things. I need to discover "cleaning up the mess" threads. Not fun.

4) Paper needs to change? Its too thin? Flops around too easily. White construction paper? Maybe poster paper. Something that springs to the mold. I think this will make a huge difference. Must be very obsorbant to bond with the thin layer of wax.

5) Doing this without a heat gun is insanity. The inside must be gunned. It came out so freaky on the inside. Water bath makes it smoother inside?

6) This is not a father-son activity. Having a 9 year old trying to bounce around the kitchen with a melting pot filled to the brim with liquid wax is not relaxing.

7) The mold expanded of course. Made a section of the wrap-around pull out. Making the wrap-around fit perfectly inside the mold when its cold is hard enough. This never dawned on me. I'm going to have to let the two halves be seperate and flexible of each other. Larger black ouside borders for overlap. Thicker paper for better spring. Don't train the paper to the mold.

I don't think this first attempt is savable. An overdip is its only hope, but I think its beyond that. I doubt I wanna melt five pounds of wax just to overdip something junky, and I don't have the right wax for it anyway.

I'm gonna go play with the camera now. I'll share the pictures soon.

This is going to be a VERY challenging project. But I think the potential is worth it, if I have the patience for this wax. Its a PITA to work with.

well from your last thread, I was expecting a really bad hurricane, but it wasn't all that bad. Yes, your votive looks wonderful & containers look very delicious.

Thanks for the pics finally! lol :)

For the hurricane:

1. No heat gunning while cooling OR demolding. Though it's the absolute best for "cleaning" up afterwards :grin2:

2. Paper needs to be thin and flexible. The best is 24# Bright White. The trick is to ice down the outside while constantly moving the skewer (or whatever flat thing you're using) constantly in that area. Holding it still will leave a mark on the finished outside. The ice makes it stick to the mold. You had the peeling spots because there was too much wax between the picture and the mold.

3. Don't force it out of the mold. I've left them in the fridge overnight if they're being stubborn. If you make it come out before it's ready, you WILL leave wax in the mold or ruin the surface.

4. Do a search here on hurricanes and you'll find a lot of helpful tips.

All in all, you did great for a first try :grin2:

I really enjoyed making the containers. That wax is fun. You can cut it like carrots, and it turned out looking like pudding. And they smell great. Fun and easy to do.

I'm gonna go try to clean up the hurricane see what I can salvage. Practice fixing the top. Test a votive, test a container, test the glow.

Right On Leesters...You Did It! :highfive: A first attempt is better than no attempt. I had faith in you and your finished product postings. Keep it up and we'll be learning something new from you real soon!

I bet your sitting there right now enjoying that vanilla jar candle. :rolleyes2

They are all fantastic for your first time, I must say that you were a very brave man to use such a large quantity of wax on your first go, but it was worth it, so well done.

Your hurricane looks FAB. My first attempt at them was a 3x6 picture and square mould what a PITA that was. I have only done shells since then no pics. Ill go back one day.

Keep up the good work, a next time I do advise doing your candles on your own. I enjoy my candle making so much more when its just me at home with no interruptions. In time you will have figured out what candle making projects are suitable and fun to do with kids. I found that chunk candles was a good one.

Anyway keep posting and keep them pictures coming.

Good luck and all the best.

For the hurricane:

1. No heat gunning while cooling OR demolding. Though it's the absolute best for "cleaning" up afterwards :grin2:

2. Paper needs to be thin and flexible. The best is 24# Bright White. The trick is to ice down the outside while constantly moving the skewer (or whatever flat thing you're using) constantly in that area. Holding it still will leave a mark on the finished outside. The ice makes it stick to the mold. You had the peeling spots because there was too much wax between the picture and the mold.

3. Don't force it out of the mold. I've left them in the fridge overnight if they're being stubborn. If you make it come out before it's ready, you WILL leave wax in the mold or ruin the surface.

4. Do a search here on hurricanes and you'll find a lot of helpful tips.

All in all, you did great for a first try :grin2:

No heatgunning, must have. Got it.

Keep the paper, make it work. Check.

Play skewer sticks with 5 pounds of liquid wax and a piece of ice.

Okaaaay. I was really trying to avoid that.

Don't be a dork noobie and bang on your molds. 10-4, Roger THAT!

Excellent wisdom, I'm already fired up and have a direction on next attempt because of your post.

When I went out and found out how this project "held a candle" to my western room:

1) Two of them would accent a room almost as well as a fish tank.

2) With much less maintenence.

3) With a candle INSIDE and the lights out, you had to look for flaws.

4) Imagined different themes hurricanes for each room.

5) Yeah GDawg, I love that picture. It goes with my room like it belongs there. Hi-jacked a googled screenie from "western prints" search. Guess I won't be selling it. lol.

6) And I love this wrap around idea.

7) My litlte container wax votive is burning perfectly, lasting a long time, and kicked out the scent.

I want these in my house more now than I did before.

I can't wait for my second crack at it. I'm gonna make this work.

Thanks!

Not really a blog entry, but wanted this for my own records.

http://www.candletech.com/archivedforum/YaBB.cgi.144.html

Link to Post for making swirl candles - By Celicagt

Gotta try this, I love the possibilities.

("Swirling" container wax?)

Cheesecake with Cherry sauce?

Pudding with chocolate streaks?

Lemon with Marrange? (how the heck do you make white wax?)

Blueberry swirls?

Yum. Got me thinking about layering container candles now. Using different scents for each color. Desert container candles are 'licious.

Fourth of July swirl Pillar?

Cutting out stars instead of circles?

Swirled circles? (cut circles from swirled candle)

Tall rainbow pillar swirl.

Fun to think about.

Thanks for posting that in the "Swirls" thread, Celica, thats gonna be fun. When I get these hurricanes figured out, I will enjoy pouncing on some pillar fun. Chunk candles are gonna be so much fun.

wow, looks like you really are doing your homework...

nice job one the one's you posted erlier.:yay: :yay:

Hi there, thanks!

Guess what, I'm in candle mode. And I just found an idea for a new use for an item I throw away almost daily. A chocolate wafer mold.

Chocolate wafers and vanilla pudding candles have been created in my mind.

Next they will be created in my kitchen.

I have a spot in my kitchen saved. For three large nice jars I got for this just this kind of creation. I was visionless before. But this is perfect.

These jars had to smell like vanilla. Its the scent designed for the Kitchen.

And TBH, I'm getting a little sick of vanilla. Overdose. So its time to get that scent completed.

When I post the pics, try to guess what I used to make the chocolate wafers. :grin2:

Okay, time to get out of candle mode. Have a good night everyone!

I did some test burning the last few days. Just notes to myself here.

Boring stuff.

~~ Vanilla Pudding Half Pint Jar (Walmart $1.49 jar w/rubber top)

Peaks container wax, 1.5 pounds.

5 drops yellow dye, Swirled one brown drop after pour.

Peaks French Vanilla, less than an ounce.

- Wick was HP 83, barely off center.

Three 3-hour burns.

One 4-hour burn.

At first there was slight tunnelling, but after 9 hours everything is cleaned off the sides.

Tons of wax left, it looks like its barely been used. Looking forward to seeing how many hours this produces.

Candle burns smooth, no soot.

Wick smolders badly after blownout.

Scent throw is sick. Love this wax.

-Votives same wax batch.

Mold (3 plastic) from Michaels pour-pot package.

Glass votive holders from Walmart.

Perfect fit.

Would like more molds like this.

Wick is unknown, got cheap and used wicks from kit, so learned nothing, but they work well.

If anyone is still reading (lol) I'll be doing my second hurricane attempt this weekend, and pour full pint jars. Just guessing on wicks, but its working so far.

Gonna play with finding a good color formula for chocolate. Would like a milk chocolate color, but will settle for dark chocolate.

Making brown rings and starting collection for future swirl candle and chocolate wafers at the same time.

More pics this weekend. Hopefully not junk! lol :laugh2:

Can't wait to see what else you come up with!! As for chocolate color, what are you using for dye? to get a rich rich chocolate color for my moose poops, I use I think 3 dye chips perLB wax (can't find my info right off hand). the swirl ones are on my list of new ones to try too.

Can't wait to see what else you come up with!! As for chocolate color, what are you using for dye? to get a rich rich chocolate color for my moose poops, I use I think 3 dye chips perLB wax (can't find my info right off hand). the swirl ones are on my list of new ones to try too.

I have liquid only, but I'm just going to slowly color it one drop at a time, and splash some on the cookie sheet, make some rings, then add more dye, and keep repeating. I"ll end up with different shades of rings, and some overdosed wax. lol. Its not main wax, just decoration. And I'll make alot of choco-wafers, choco-chips, choco-strips, and whatever my choco mind can think of to put in my choco-freezer bag.

(Note: My kitched utensils have numbered days. Slowly and slowly, they'll become candle tools. I'm considering using my cheese grater now to make chocolate shavings out of frozen brown container wax. )

I'll just keep making it darker till it resembles some kind of chocolate. I have brown dye with no black, so its kind of a longshot I'll get there.

But I should have some good rings and a good idea what Brown liquid dye does, and I'll make some wafers no matter what..

Does anyone use a chocolate FO that smells real?

No Brownies or chocolate cake, just pure chocolate smell?