A Newbies Blog....

WOW!!! you are sooo patient. The minute my wax arrived I had to play, I couldnt wait and made a total mess of my kitchen, from which I have been banned...lol. I started playing with my DH's good pots, a good pyrex cup, and good spoons, boy did I get in trouble. I jumped before I learned that you should have seperate stuff for your candles. Didn't even think that the FO would make the food taste like perfume:D DUH!!! Now I have a little workspace in the basement away from HIS KITCHEN Best of luck to you.

SAME HERE!!!!!!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I wish I could get mine to just take out the trash :P

Anyhow, I have a question for you, you really had me laughing during your candlemaking rondevue. I've never done floating candles with container wax, so I'm guessing you left your little chickadees in the shell? How did they sail?

so I'm guessing you left your little chickadees in the shell? How did they sail?

Lol. Yes, I left the chickadees in the shell, except for ones that actually stuck to the styrofoam. Lol.

They wobbled around quite well. Lol. Floaters should be flatter, but they worked for a bit. The ones that had the wicks off center wobbled over and went pfffff in the water in less than an hour.

Egg shells for floating candles is not advised. Most of them didn't more than 2 hours, and none of them outlasted us. ;)

next time use harder wax and fill the egg shells half way? ;)

I really tried to, I swear. But it was just impossible to pour a small amount of wax into an eggshell from a tin can.

The first ones were a disaster until I got smart and squeezed the top of the can to make a makeshift pour spout out of it.

They were very ugly, but we were basically laughing about it the whole time. They smelled real good, and made a nice mood, so they were worth it.

Funny, when we started talking, she wanted to take some home. She never asked for any after we made them. Hehe.

And there were actually a couple ones I made too deep, and they bobbed right out of the water and flipped over.

Don't try this at home folks. Unless you have killed a bottle or two of merlot.

Pic Avatar added. Mystery over. Writing skills unaffected.

She didnt mention not wanting to take any home, she didnt want to hurt your feelings...lol...

It is fun though isnt it? Just wait till you get real molds.

Wouldn't of hurt my feelings, I wouldn't want any of those ugly chickadee's either. lol. She did like the candlelit room though. And so did I. And the scent is still strong. Came home from work today and it was strong. The scent is associated with the romance of that night, now. Funny how that works.

I just can't wait till I make these hurricanes and some containers to light them up.

The pictures together are 1/2 inch too big for a perfect wrap around, but I'm just going to trim one side down and have one spot on the hurricane thats not perfect. I wanted them to match up perfectly, but I just want to do it at this point.

I might even do it tomorrow. No promises. Have to go to Michaels and Home Depot first.

Well I have a suggestion for you that might fancy your girls eye. No mold needed. If you have a pillar wax, not to high of a melt point cause you want it to be somewhat flexible to work with. I like using the 1343 for these because I find it's easy to work with being a cut n carve wax it's more flexible when warm. Now get some card stock or something durable and draw a rose petal, a couple or so, some smaller some larger. They don't need to be real big but you need to have a bit of length to them. Like a real petal :DNow you have your stencil. You need a cookie sheet, some wax paper would fair good on top. You don't even need the cookie sheet if your careful, hmmm. So heat up a lb of wax, vybar, add your color & 1 oz scent. Let it cool until it thickens up a bit. Pour it onto your wax paper. When it sets up to flexible, not solid but not liquid. Get your little stencils you made and cut around them to make your petals. You want them to be a little thick and you want to work the petals into shape with your fingers. You have your wick in one hand your petal in the other. Vertically attach your petal to your wick from near the base but leave room to grow, from one side to the other and in between. Start with your smaller petals and work out to your larger petals. YAY, you have a rose. No throw your left over wax back in the pot from your wax paper. Heat all your wax back up a bit and now dip the bottom of your beautiful treasure to seal. You can dip all the way under for a better seal if you are unsure of your master peice. See how many of those you can make, lol. Now trim your wicks, get the merlot, call your girl, fill the tub and light your floating roses. :yay:

Well I have a suggestion for you that might fancy your girls eye. No mold needed. If you have a pillar wax, not to high of a melt point cause you want it to be somewhat flexible to work with. I like using the 1343 for these because I find it's easy to work with being a cut n carve wax it's more flexible when warm. Now get some card stock or something durable and draw a rose petal, a couple or so, some smaller some larger. They don't need to be real big but you need to have a bit of length to them. Like a real petal :DNow you have your stencil. You need a cookie sheet, some wax paper would fair good on top. You don't even need the cookie sheet if your careful, hmmm. So heat up a lb of wax, vybar, add your color & 1 oz scent. Let it cool until it thickens up a bit. Pour it onto your wax paper. When it sets up to flexible, not solid but not liquid. Get your little stencils you made and cut around them to make your petals. You want them to be a little thick and you want to work the petals into shape with your fingers. You have your wick in one hand your petal in the other. Vertically attach your petal to your wick from near the base but leave room to grow, from one side to the other and in between. Start with your smaller petals and work out to your larger petals. YAY, you have a rose. No throw your left over wax back in the pot from your wax paper. Heat all your wax back up a bit and now dip the bottom of your beautiful treasure to seal. You can dip all the way under for a better seal if you are unsure of your master peice. See how many of those you can make, lol. Now trim your wicks, get the merlot, call your girl, fill the tub and light your floating roses. :yay:

Dang. You married? Lol.

You should put that in tutorials. Seriously.

Struggling hard to keep my cynicism out of this, how about posting a picture of SOMETHING wax related? As a published author and a member of the screen writers guild I must admit your style of writing is quite interesting, (you have no idea how hard it was not to put quotes around interesting) but even I've had time to pour a candle by now...push away from the keyboard and show us what you've really got..again wax wise...man of words or man of action? Guess whatever popularity I enjoyed will now plummet but in the time it's taken me to read 10 blog pages I've already got my wax melted (this is not a euphonism I've literally melted my wax) and am ready to pour some containers...sorry ladies..I'm a cynic...I hear the sound of bubbles bursting all over the place...lol. I do promise however I will not post again on this newbies blog...so enjoy

Hey, I just made my first candles! Must have skipped that post.

I do realize I'll take a beating if I don't post pics of my first projects.

As much as I like beatings, I'll just HAVE to buy a camera for this thread.

Working 50 hours a wk (I post from work), and spending every minute with my son on the weekends I have him, time is a challenge.

I hope you DO post again though. :)

Yes I probably did miss that post...I started skimming when the gushing started...if you can't take a photo of the candle..how about drawing a picture????

Funny. I tried. With my "interesting" writing style. Its on page 7.

But like I said in my first post...

if you don't like reading, this thread is not for you.

I'll let you know when the thread has pretty pictures for you.

I am faithfully married but I do believe you and I would have sooooooo much fun getting all hot and sweaty............from all the candles we would make and light to test that is! LOL

I love your writing style and your adventures! This is a candle board but dont let these other ladies pressure you even though we are all anxious to see your creations. Spend time with your son because before you know it, he will be all grown up! Include him, safely of course, in some of your candle ventures!! It would be great to create together!!!:cool2:

Im looking forward to your pictures, all of them. The good, the bad and even the ugly!:highfive:

If I ever become single, well, since I am older and more experianced.......in candle making that is, LOL, I will just have to fly on over to Arizona and give you a few lessons and then see what we can create ourselves!:D

I just finished reading this thread and I can say I was entertained. Obviously I don't post that often (member for two years and only 12 posts) I usually have very little time to play here but I just have to say that I laughed the most at Comfortscents comments.

Strap your heat guns on, she called you out! "...push away from the keyboard and show us what you've really got..again wax wise...man of words or man of action?"

:spit:

This board definately keeps you on your toes!

Welcome to candle making (once you get started) and good luck!

PS... I lived in AZ for over five years (Nogales and Lukeville) and I too have been to Tombstone, Bisbee, Naco, Sierra Vista, Grand Canyon to name a few. I wouldn't mind heading back some day to visit. Enjoy!