A Newbies Blog....

It looks like your blog is the most popular thing on CT right now. Good luck when you actually get your feet wet (or waxy)! LOL This site is a great tool for information, you will get alot of help from the "pros" when you need it! Can't wait for the next chapter, or at least pictures of your adventures. By the way, you are very lucky to be in AZ, sounds much better than here in IN. Keep telling us about your adventures with your son as well as with wax and I'm sure you will have a "following" with your blog!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leester....

You sound like a blogging pro. Do you have a blog floating around somewhere that we should be reading....say, something else beside candlemaking maybe? How about a blog about your trips and adventures cave hunting in Arizona? :D

I'll show you my blog, if you show me yours. hehehehe

Wishing you the best while making your first candle!

Suzy

Well Leester, glad you enjoyed your trip out here. I agree Tombstone is a one-time visit. Not too much there. I still haven't managed to get to Kartchner to see the bats. There is an overpass in Tucson that the bats fly out from--it is awesome to sit there at dusk and watch them--just not too closely :undecided .

There is a candle shop in Bisbee, don't know how you missed it--on the main street. I personally haven't been there but they advertise and I have seen them around. I am not from Bisbee though. Another nice place to visit but I wouldn't care to live there.

Well get cracking on the candle--you will be amazed, your first will probably be so much better than store bought, you will wonder how you ever paid for them in the store. Cheers, Di

Thanks folks, I'm looking forward to making a mess this weekend.

I have vowed to do my chores before I go out and play, though, so I expect to dig on on Sunday.

I need to go to Home Depot and see if I can buy a chain. Ball not included, thank goodness. Also need a heat gun.

Then its off to Michaels to get a pour pot or two and thermometer. And then I'll wander aimlessly through the aisles looking for something thats not flowery that I can use for a western looking insert.

Nothing looks more out of place than a 40 year old man roaming through the aisles of Michaels looking for something he can't find.

Then I'll head to Walmart and bump around there looking for the tiniest little jars I can find for burning containers in a hurricane. I'm glad I didn't buy the 9 oz jars from Peaks. Those look too big. Thats what she said, anyway.

Mostly I'm excited about making some neat hurricanes. I have the pictures ready, and hopefully it all goes well. Then I'll make a bunch of vanilla container candles, and wait impatiently to burn something. :D I can see myself putting hot candles in the freezer so they'll harden faster.

That doesn't sound like a smart idea, so it fits. :cool2:

Well, nothing ever goes as planned. And this weekend proved that.

I had to work Saturday morning, and I got a phone call from an old friend looking for a romantic weekend. Well, as a divorced 40 year old man, those offers are few and far between. And since I recall this particular friend to be especially fun, I offered to pick her up after work since she was on the way home, and hang out this weekend. One phone call, and poof. There goes my candle making plans.

But since I had printed out copies of my pretty picture and trimmed them up all perfect and they were in my truck, we started talking about candles. She was very interested in candles, and the conversation came to how much she likes floating candles. Well, heck, lets make some then for this weekend.

So, we got home, and she helped me clean my house which made my Saturday chores go much quicker than I planned, so I cooked a nice meal for lunch. Terriaki chicken strips, lemon butter asparagus, and scalloped potatoes and I made a loaf of homemade bread with my neat little bread maker that has been gathering dust. Luckily I just went grocery shopping, and its so nice to cook for someone rather than just for myself. Lunch was 'licious, and she did dishes! Can't beat that.

So, we started in on a floating candle project that I was not prepared for. Now, remember, I have not made it to the stores to buy the rest of my supplies, so I had no melting pot. I had no thermomoter. And I surely had no floating candle molds. So there was some serious improvising going on here.

Ever melt wax in a tin asparagus can? If not, I got you beat. So, what am I going to use for molds? Hmmm.. It didn't take 20 seconds before I remembered a post or two on here about eggshell candles. Heck, I just bought 2 dozen eggs.

Anyone have a recipe for anything that uses 24 eggs? I have a bowl in my fridge ready for you, if you do.

I unwrapped the container wax I had and decided a pound was enough to make some floaters. Container wax is already soft, did you know that? Of course you did. I used my big knife to cut a line to score a pound of wax off and put it on the edge of the counter and popped it right off. That worked well! I rigged up a double boiler, melted wax in an asparagus can, put 5 drops of yellow and a drop of brown, and less than an ounce of vanilla in it.

I used a pottery knife (old hobby tools from my ceramic days) and sliced up 24 egg shells VERY CAREFULLY, and lost a few shells, but got good at it fairly quickly.

So, I put a cookie sheet under the carton of eggs, and started pouring, and made serious mess, but had fun with it. I think I got more wax on the cookie sheet than I did in the egg shells.

I had no idea what temp the wax was. I had no idea how much wax fit in that little tin can. And I certainly had no idea how to make eggshell candles. I was seriously winging it here.

Those little buggers are a bitch to wick! I waited about 30 minutes to allow the edges to cool a little bit and started sticking tabbed 18-zinc wicks in them so I could kinda get them to stick in the soft wax at the bottom.

30 minutes didn't help much. So I put them in the freezer. And of course, since they were in an insulated egg carton, the top hardened much faster than the bottom edges.

So more improvising came into play. I have a wine rack that was already pulled out for lunch, so I put the wine rack over the egg carton, used some string to hang from wicks from them, and "hung" wicks in the eggs until they dried. Took forever to set that up, but worked like a charm.

So, after a bottle of wine, we were feeling buzzed and having fun, so we decided to take a walk next door and play some pool at Uncle Sam's. We made sexual wagers, and I lost on purpose. We went back home after more wine and feeling more buzzed, and watched some Lifetime movies. And I actually enjoyed them.

You know, I came to a conclusion about myself. I like to cook. I like to shop. I like romantic chick flicks. I like to do crafts, I like making candles. I used to make ceramics. I like giving oral sex. I love romance. I like to please. I really sound like a chick, or a gay guy, but I'm definetely not gay.

So, I've decided... I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body. Anywaaaayyyy...

After a second pour, which wasn't much, they hardened quickly in the freezer. And that night I filled the bedroom with vanilla scented floating candles with glasses all over the bedroom. What a beautiful romantic effect that was! And they burned very well, except for a couple of them that were off center, and lasted a couple hours. It just made the mood, for sure. It actually made the romance that night a whole different type of lovemaking than I've expereinced with her before. Instead of being all intense and physical, it was slow and romantic. The candles made the mood. Very powerful, these little buggers are .

So, I've broken my wax virginity on a project I had no idea I was going to do, and 80 percent of the candles did well. But I still don't have a damn hurricane mold broken in yet. Soon, soon.

But yes, I apologize, I have no pictures of the candles. They say a picture is worth 1000 words, so I made up for it, and I'm already over quota. Sorry about the lack of pictures. I'll get a digital camera for the "real" projects. Floating eggs I probably wouldn't have posted anyway.

Besides, if I took pictures this weekend, it probably wouldn't have been of candles. :cool2:

:laugh2: lol Well it sounds like you had a great weekend and hey you are no longer a wax virgin:grin2: .

Maybe next time you and her can work on the candles you have been wanting to make...and while you are waiting for them to set up you can pass the time doing something else *wink wink*:wink2:

The next candle scent you need to try is Sex on the Beach!:yay:

Sand candles, then?? Sounds fun!

Sex on the beach is just copying the scent of the drink under the same name, right? So smells like fruit punch? I'm digging this french vanilla.

My house still smells yummy.

Age is overrated. I like women that are young at heart. I usually get along better with younger women, but this particular friend is 46, and we had fun.

Age doesn't matter, as long as they like to party and bark upon request. ;)

I'm a little worried about the dog referrence, but yes, I have a big fluffy happy dog who is a for sure ladies man.

No motorcycle. I live in Phoenix. Crazy drivers here. I'd be dead in a year. lol.

Come on out! Hurry up though, its gonna get hot real soon.

woof woof woof :party: :whistle:

LOL!

Well......that post left me all hot and bothered. Bout time you posted a pic of yourself in the 'faces of candletech' thread in the Off Topic area ;) (there is a sub thread thingy) It would be great to see the face behind the words - WOULDN'T IT GRILS??? :D :highfive:

Anjie,x.

ROFL! Awww, now you don't seem like the shy type :D

Anjie,x.

Hehe, no not the shy type at all, as you can tell.

But maybe I look like your avatar! :P

So just pretend I look like Tom Cruise or Sean Connery, whichever one is more your type. ;)