A Newbies Blog....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's happened to Leesters?? :shocked2: OMG! Where's tha latest addition to the blog???? LOL Come on now, update! Need entertaining! :D

Anjie,x.

Sorry about the lack of entertainment here. Hehe. Life hasn't been all that bloggable here in Phoenix. No travels, No dating... and no candles. I have a book deadline zooming in fast, and procrastination and deadlines don't like each other. I know. I've introduced them many times. They just don't get along.

But first draft is just about done, and I have till June 30th, so this weekend I shall play.

- Last night, I went to Big Lots and found an $18.00 heat gun.

- Then I organized some closets (exciting stuff) and made a few shelfs for candle equipment.

- I have raided my son's toys and stole a lego box that is the perfect water bath for my kitchen sink.

I am ready for another attempt on my hurricane project.

I even got the black electrical tape to give a good border between the two pieces of the wrap-around picture imbed.

- I have learned that 4 pounds of hurricane wax into a brand new metal mold desperately needs mold release.

- I have learned that de-molding a big candle requires the ultimate patience, and "banging" the candle out of the mold is a big no-no.

- I have learned that working with this stuff without a heat gun is a wax scraping plateful of PITA.

- I have learned making a hurricane without a water bath leaves a horrible finish on the inside, expands the mold too big for the picture imbed, takes too long to set up, and leaves an undesirable thick top film of hardened wax leaving you guessing where the inside wall stops at.

As silly of a newbie I am, I have high hopes of a successful hurricane just on my second try with this wrap around. I have visions of the perfect picture imbed. Wrapped 360 degrees around. Seamless. Borderless. Perfectly positioned.

I'll be very happy if I make this work. Looking forward to melting some wax again, too.

To offset the challenge with some mindless fun, I'll probably pour some containers too with choco-wax-wafers. That wax is so much more fun.

~~~~~~~

I have tested all my prior candles, and really need to wick up on the half pint containers. Will try the same size on the pints. Will test with HTP wicks this time until I get the right size for these guys, then test other wicks.

Had some sooting when one of the votives got down to the bottom. Wick was not trimmed, but I don't know if untrimmed wicks cause sooting, because I'm a newbie goober.

Pictures will be posted this weekend, no matter what disasters I create.

My interest is piqued. What genre are you working on? I started in women's fiction then moved down a totally unexpected writing path. I've taken a break for a few years but you know how it is..I'm always writing something down on a napkin or piece of paper so my weekend project is to go thru everything and see if I want to get back into it. I thought candles and soaps would feed my creativeness but I think writing is easier on my grout and my sanity.