How do I find a forwarder in the USA??

Hi there, I know this has been discussed before but I can't for the life of me find the thread!

I am desperate to get some square candle tins from SKS in the states but they are quoting me $118+ shipping alone for a case of 36 small tins!! I can get glass shipped cheaper than this!!! The man emailing me said they will only use UPS which is expensive but they don't break stuff like USPS do *LOL* He also told me I could open an account with UPS (no point for one shipment!) or get me a forwarder :D

Here's the question - does anyone on here provide this service? I'm willing to pay a fee of course. I'm not big on trusting people I don't know, so if its someone who comes recommended by others on here, or a long time member, then thats great.

If anyone can help I would be REEEEALLY greatful :yay:

Anjie,x.

LOL No one has ever called me Ann Cybersix, but hey, you call me anything you want :D thanks for the link.

Monica - I am really going to sound thick now but what is a co-op exactly?? How does this work?

Anjie,x.

I bet, I wrote Ann but wanting to write Anj (and so edited the post), sorry!!!!!

I think I have a keyboard virus, letters change place everytime LOL

buying in a co-op still doesn't get you out of customs charges I'm afraid. You just get the tins you want, and then the lady who organises the co-op has to ship them to you at whatever weight they come out as, via USPS.

There ain't no cheap way, us brits just gotta pay! he he, i'm a poet too - didn't know that did you....

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Hiya Nat, my fellow poet :highfive: :wink2:

Yes I always expect to pay customs charges - if i don't get stung then its a bonus. So far I have gotten away with it and OMG I have just jinx'd that haven't i?! Grrrr

What % is the customs charges again? I've got 10% in my head, including postage costs, is it that much??

Anjie,x.

noooooooooo it's 17.5% VAT, and DUTY and THEN, parcelforce will add £8 to your charges for their admin fee.

So just when you think you can handle a £20 VAT & Duty fee - parcelforce go and make it £28 for delivering your parcel....which is like THEIR JOB!!! bloody money grabbing gits.

It's beautiful when your parcel slips through the net - but devastating when it DOES get caught.

I am planning a coop on these in a couple weeks..you are more than welcome to join!

How long do we have to be a member to get in on the coops? I want some tins for candles and not finding prices yet that are worth it online for me to buy so I am still searching.

Thanks!

Nat - so if it's not parcelforce delivering but USPS, do they still charge the same or does it vary from courier to courier?? So..its VAT plus Duty plus £8 (maybe) for delivering. How much is duty, or is that included in the vat?? Damn, Friday morning and my brain hasn't yet kicked in!!!! And is it worked out on the $ value or the £ - did that make sense LOL! I have a parcel coming, with cool moulds yayy, the moulds and stuff came to $28 but was $60ish with shipping - how much am i likely to get stung for if i get stung?

Monica - :whoohoo: :thumbsup: :highfive: :yay::grin2: EXCELLENT!! You're a star :D

Anjie,x.

Nattyyyyy!!!!!!

I guess it's high time you open your official business as a supplier!!:grin2::grin2:

What about you doing the fragrance and I'm doing some of the hardware?:laugh2::laugh2: (Gatewayfood thought I might be a future supplier for soy wax...)

Have a sunny day out there!

Anjie,

I never know what the Duty is, I still can't figure that one out. If a parcel is sent via USPS - as soon as it gets on the plane in the USA, it then becomes the responsibility of Royal Mail or Parcelforce. 9 times out of 10, it's parcelforce - there are no USPS representatives in the UK, if you think about it - the United States Postal Service, is just the USA's "standard" mail service, whereas in the UK it's Royal Mail and Parcelforce.

Also - if you happen to be unlucky and your parcel is delivered by FedEx or UPS - they are complete buggers with the customs or duty. OK - here's how it works. SOME parcels go through customs - it's like a "spot check" so you could be lucky and your parcel slips through the net if you're using usps/parcelforce. However, if your parcel is sent via UPS or Fedex - they ALWAYS charge you customs and duty on "behalf" of HM Revenue & Customs, EVEN IF YOUR PARCEL DOESN'T PASS THROUGH THE CUSTOMS CONVEYOR!!!!! Why? They say that they collect the charge to make your parcel arrive quicker. However, the real reason why they do it is so they can slap a £16 "admin" fee on to your parcel. So you will always pay customs and duty on parcels via UPS or Fedex if the value of the parcel is over $30, even if a customs officer never actually claps eyes on the thing.

Ubure - I know it. But then I still have to figure out how to get this stuff to the UK without being charged so much that for me to make a bit of money for my time, I have to charge a fortune for the products.

I was thinking about starting up with just FO and a few other useful bits that I've found for myself. I've been dealing with a major glass manufacturer and have found glass super-cheap, BUT the problem is that I have to buy each style by the pallet (around 700 jars) I just don't have the space OR cash to buy that much even though in the long run, I'd save so much money and could offer it cheaper than ANYONE else in the UK.

I'm seriously thinking about it - I just need to find the time.

Nat

I have clear the reason why some parcels go through customs or not, at least here.

I had to pay customs duties only two times, and on parcels with a relative high declared value.

Small parcels with few dollars value arrive without having to pay duties.

On the last parcel I got I had to pay 27 euros ($36) on a value of 142$.

Luckily I chose the most economic shipping from US, so I'm still well under my maximum cost for FOs.

To me it would be simpler (and cheaper LOL) going to live in US!

Anjie,

I never know what the Duty is, I still can't figure that one out. If a parcel is sent via USPS - as soon as it gets on the plane in the USA, it then becomes the responsibility of Royal Mail or Parcelforce. 9 times out of 10, it's parcelforce - there are no USPS representatives in the UK, if you think about it - the United States Postal Service, is just the USA's "standard" mail service, whereas in the UK it's Royal Mail and Parcelforce.

Also - if you happen to be unlucky and your parcel is delivered by FedEx or UPS - they are complete buggers with the customs or duty. OK - here's how it works. SOME parcels go through customs - it's like a "spot check" so you could be lucky and your parcel slips through the net if you're using usps/parcelforce. However, if your parcel is sent via UPS or Fedex - they ALWAYS charge you customs and duty on "behalf" of HM Revenue & Customs, EVEN IF YOUR PARCEL DOESN'T PASS THROUGH THE CUSTOMS CONVEYOR!!!!! Why? They say that they collect the charge to make your parcel arrive quicker. However, the real reason why they do it is so they can slap a £16 "admin" fee on to your parcel. So you will always pay customs and duty on parcels via UPS or Fedex if the value of the parcel is over $30, even if a customs officer never actually claps eyes on the thing.

Ubure - I know it. But then I still have to figure out how to get this stuff to the UK without being charged so much that for me to make a bit of money for my time, I have to charge a fortune for the products.

I was thinking about starting up with just FO and a few other useful bits that I've found for myself. I've been dealing with a major glass manufacturer and have found glass super-cheap, BUT the problem is that I have to buy each style by the pallet (around 700 jars) I just don't have the space OR cash to buy that much even though in the long run, I'd save so much money and could offer it cheaper than ANYONE else in the UK.

I'm seriously thinking about it - I just need to find the time.

Nat