UPDATE: Suggestions for Stronger Scent Throw?

Okay, I know that scent throw varies with FO and wax. I'm using a 50/50 blend of OK6228 and J223 to make tarts. I was adding 1 oz of FO per pound of wax and keeping the temp under 180 for mixing in the FO. The tarts are fairly strong, but not strong enough for me (I like mine to scent my entire house!). If I don't switch the wax, is there anything special that I might do to increase scent throw?

As always, thanks so much for your opinions and advice!!

D

I use the same combo you do...50% OK6228 and 50% J223. I add 1 oz fo to 12 oz of wax and my tarts a very strong. I put one in my living room and it fills that room...goes up the stairs and onto the second floor. Remember, that the air flow in your house will carry your scent as well. Are you using quality FO's? If you are using low grade fo's you can't expect to get very good throw.

Thank you guys! I have been trying out FOs from Peaks, Nature's Garden, and Bitter Creek South. Nothing's blown me away yet. Any suggestions on where to get high quality FOs?

I think I'll take your advice and bump it up to 1.5 oz for 1lb. So this be .75 oz of FO for 8 oz wax (I'm soooo not mathematically inclined :) )? I've been ordering tarts from a wonderful lady for a few years now, and her tarts smell up the entire downstairs of my house. I'm determined to make mine just as strong! Thanks so much to all of you!!

I agree with Sarah...the suppliers you bought fo's from are good suppliers, so the quality of fo's is not in question. Keep in mind that some scents will throw lighter naturally. You're using a good combination of waxes, along with good quality fo's, now you just need to bump up your fo load and I'm sure you will get the strong tarts that you are looking for. Let us know how you make out, ok?

My customers that use one scent they like on a regular basis will ask me did I change something or am I not using as much scent as I use to because it's not as strong as they use to be. I tell them no I have not changed anything but you must be use to the scent and have "Candle Nose". I tell them have someone come over to their house and ask them if they can smell it.

It's just like wearing perfume/cologne, at first you can smell it then as the day goes on you can't smell it anymore but you still get complments (sp) about your cologne.

Thanks so much to all of you! I did wonder about the candle nose. My husband keeps complaining about the "stinky" house :P ....he means that in a good way (I hope :) ). I passed off some of my tarts to some friends so I'll get their input.

Just wondering about the temp issue though. I thought that if you added the fo at 180 or higher that it would "burn off", and it was therefor better to add it at about 160-165. Any thoughts on this?

I'm planning a new batch this weekend, and I'll play with the FO amount and temps. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again to all of you. This board has such an amazing amount of knowledge!

I add my fo as soon as I pour it from my Presto into my pour pot. Tarts are very forgiving....you don't have to be so careful with the temperature, especially with the wax combo you are using. If you were using straight OK6228 you'd probably end up with a wavy texture on the top of your tarts if you weren't careful with the pouring temperature. When you add the J223, it changes the consistency and you end up with a smooth tart everytime, pretty much without having to pay attention to the exact pouring temp. I heat my wax up to about 190...add my dye, then once completely melted I pour into my pouring pot. The temperature almost immediately drops about ten degrees...I add my fo...stir well and pour into tart molds. I don't wait for the wax to cool down to 160 or lower. It's really quite simple. I think your problem is that you're just not adding enough FO. By the way, are you using a tea light burner or an electric one? Some of those electric burners have low wattage bulbs that just aren't hot enough to really throw the scent. Just another thought I had. Hope I'm not being too pushy with my comments, I'm just trying to help you figure out what the problem might be.

I add my fragrance at 130 degrees because I am also afraid of FO burn off. Maybe you want to try that and see how it works for you? Just make sure you really stir alot - usually for about a minute - then get ready to pour as they will be ready shortly after that.

130?? You didn't mention which wax you use, but that can't be much higher than the melting point. I'm far from an expert on this, but I don't see how the fo can even bind properly at a temp that low. I seriously doubt that you'd need to go anywhere near that low to keep the FO from burning off. Most pillar waxes have a melt point of 140 - 150. If the fragrange oil burned off at below 160 or so, you wouldn't even be able to scent pillars. JMO

Fern, you are in no way being pushy! I truly appreciate all your knowledge and advice! I think you are right, I definitely need more FO. I did just like you do, I added the dye, mixed then added the FO (my Presto Pot was at 190, so by the time the FO was added, it was probably at around 180 or so). I'm using an electric tart warmer, but it works wonderfully. I think it's just my tarts that need work ;) I'm not sure the 130 would work, I feel like that might be to low and the wax might start to harden? But I will definitely try adding more FO and letting the temp drop just a bit more this time around. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks so much!! I'm so amazed at how much information you guys have to offer. Very much appreciated :)

D

one little tip that may help you... i find it works best (for me at least) to add the FO *before* the dye. the reason for this being that some FO's take a little longer to mix in, and this way you will be able to see it to make sure. (just mentioning this because i see that you said you add dye first)

Don't feel like a butt, :P I appreciate your input!

Thanks for the info on adding the FO first. That's a great suggestion and one I will definitely try this weekend!! You guys are awesome! I can't wait for Saturday to arrive (maybe Friday night :) ), so I can make a new (and hopefully stronger) batch of tarts! Thanks!

D

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :yay:

I added more FO to my wax and added it at about 165-170, mixed the FO for about a minute or so, then poured. I've burned the Home for the Holidays (FABULOUS!) and my April Downy Fresh. Both are much stronger than the first batch I made. I'll try the rest tomorrow, but I'm very optimistic. Thanks for all the great advice, you guys are the best!!! :bow:

D