Please don't laugh too hard

mkpk

This may sound totally dumb, but can you by fragrance free lotions and bubble bath from say Walmart or BBW and add your own fragrance to it. I know it sounds silly, but my reasoning is I started making candles recently and love to have matching scents - my nightly baths are the only time I actually get me time, so I pamper myself. I can't even think about starting B&B products right now, as making candles takes up more time and frustration than I have :whistle: These products would just be for me - I would never pass them off and sellers. Any info would be great. The reason I would like to do this is to keep cost, mainly shipping, down. Thanks in advance. I love reading your boards. Even if I can't make them, I sure love reading, learning and wanting more more more products!

Melanie

I'm not sure, but you could also maybe get a base in a small quantity from a supplier and then you can add whatever you like.. I know it sucks to pay shipping. There really isn't anything for suppliers where I live, so I have to pay shipping for everything!:undecided I'm sure one of the resident experts will come along and be able to tell you for sure.. I'm sorry I know that wasn't much help..lol

Sharon

Thanks for the imput. I think I'll try a good brand locally and see how it goes. I will definitely have to pay attention to if they are skin safe. I'm pretty sure my fo suppliers all list that. I'll let you know my outcome. I sure hope it works at this point until I'm ready to jump into B&B.

It might be better to buy a small quantity of lotion base from a supplier as Tychels suggested. I don't find the drugstore lotions to be very high quality, and most brands already come pre-scented. Even those which are unscented probably have a masking fragrance added to it. If you look at the ingredients used, you can get a better quality lotion if you buy a base and then scent it yourself..

Even though I make lots of lotions and butters, I happen to love Aveeno lotion. Sometimes I add a few drops of fragrance oil to it.

My advice...but a good quality lotion and only scent a little at a time. I usually take out a few ounces and add the FO to that. You would also need to be careful about how much FO you add so as not to lose the emulsion.

That being said, I would never sell it or pass it off as my own.

I knew of a woman who used lotions and creams from Family dollar to make her fancy smancy body butter. Here's the recipe if anyone wants it:

2 $1 bottles of Family Dollar baby lotion

2 $1 jugs of Delon brand Vitamin E Cream w/jojoba & aloe vera. Comes in a white jug with a kinda blue/gray lid.

1 $1.50 15oz. jug of generic vaseline.

Scent it with any body safe scent. Laugh....I don't think so..people pay a pretty penny for the nice packaging. Enjoy!!

I have always used unscented lotions and used my perfumes to scent a little at a time. Mainly because I didn't want a whole bottle of just one scent. Have never found a lotion from a supplier I like as well as some of the big guys. I have added my FO's to these lotions many times, but like everyone says just a drop at a time.

I work in a rehab facility for people who have had surgery, strokes, etc., and we supply bottles of 2 oz lotions to the patients. I had one in my pocket one night to give to a patient and got side tracked by a family member. I forgot about it, and brought it home in my pocket. I had it on the counter to take back the next day and my husband opened it and used some. Needless to say, I couldn't take it back, so I doctored it just a little. I added some FO, and shook it like crazy. Loved the way it smelled and felt on the skin. Took that bottle into work and let some of the staff try a little, and now they are all begging me to make them some lotion. Try it. You might like it. If you don't, you're only out a couple of dollars for the lotion and a few drops of FO.

If you are doing this for yourself, there probably isnt' a problem with it, but I wouldn't rec. selling it this way. You don't know how much of each ingredient is used in the formula of store bought stuff, and you could compromise the perservative by doing this.

But like I said, if it's for you, go for it. :)

I am sure we all know where that recipe came from :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe:

Yes, I'm sure most people do.:P It's a good recipe that sells well, can be purchased without paying freight charges and customers love it. If you scent it and put it in nice packaging no reason it wouldn't fly off the shelves. You can even add stuff to it to make it even better like shea butter, cocoa butter, etc. it's a good base to start with and you could tweek it 100 different ways.