Using a City's name

Is a city's name protected from use by companies? I live in Tipp City, OH. Formerly Tippecanoe. I like "Tippecanoe Candle Company". Other businesses in town use variations, like Tip Top Canning. Tipp Cyclery. Tipp Machine and Tool.

Tony

I dont' have the answer to your question but I was curious about it. I searched the yellow pages for businesses in Ohio with the name Tippecanoe and came up with 25 matches. HTH.

P.S. I think it's a great name for a candle company!

Is a city's name protected from use by companies? I live in Tipp City, OH. Formerly Tippecanoe. I like "Tippecanoe Candle Company". Other businesses in town use variations, like Tip Top Canning. Tipp Cyclery. Tipp Machine and Tool.

Tony

Hi Tony: I've been to Tippecanoe CC! You can go to:

http://www1.sos.state.oh.us/portal/page?_pageid=93,58490,93_58504&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Here you can search for the name to see if it's available. I once owned a design group that started with "Columbus" and I lived in Columbus. I registered the name with the State of Ohio and didn't have any problems with that. HTH

Hi Tony: I've been to Tippecanoe CC! You can go to:

http://www1.sos.state.oh.us/portal/page?_pageid=93,58490,93_58504&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Here you can search for the name to see if it's available. I once owned a design group that started with "Columbus" and I lived in Columbus. I registered the name with the State of Ohio and didn't have any problems with that. HTH

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just wanted to say HI. I was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. Grew up......got married.....now I am in Georgia. I love it here. GREAT WEATHER

Just wanted to say HI. I was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. Grew up......got married.....now I am in Georgia. I love it here. GREAT WEATHER

Hi!...I lived in Powell then moved here to FL about 2 yrs ago. Great weather here too!

The name of my company is Corning Wax Works because I live in Corning, NY. I didint have any problems with the City...HOWEVER, I did have a major problem with Corning Inc. When Corning Inc first started it was called Corning Glass Works...they said my name was too close to theirs and wanted me to change it. I stood my ground stating that they were no longer called Corning Glass Works. I had to sign a document agreeing to a few stipulations or they were going to take me to court...but I got to keep my name! .....Oh, I just had a Tina Turner moment there!...LMAO

I've been stuck around the Dayton area all my 38 years... I'd love to escape to better weather :)

Generally speaking, you can legally use your location in your business name. However, a lot of business experts recommend you NOT use your location in your business name for one simple reason: what if your business moves?

(For the record, I found this information when my wife and I were going to set up a PC repair shop in Pen Argyl, PA...we were going to call it "Pen Argyl PC")

Generally speaking, you can legally use your location in your business name. However, a lot of business experts recommend you NOT use your location in your business name for one simple reason: what if your business moves?

(For the record, I found this information when my wife and I were going to set up a PC repair shop in Pen Argyl, PA...we were going to call it "Pen Argyl PC")

Yeah, I'd thought about that too. I suppose I could prevent that problem by going with Earth Candle Co. ? :) I doubt we'll be colonizing Mars in my lifetime...... Although that gives me an idea... :D