Well, the first day of my first ever show is over...

deputy6512

and I did OK I guess. I made 3 1/2 times the booth fee today, but I was shocked at what was selling. I maybe sold three or four containers all day long, everyone was buying clamshells and tarts:shocked2: Normally, I don't sell much of those. Anyway, I sold 4 of the pumpkin jars with hats. Evidently there is another chandler there selling them about $4 cheaper, so tomorrow I may lower the price, I don't know yet. Also, there is 6 other candle booths at this show, so I guess I shouldn't feel to bad about my sales. There is one other candle booth in my building, but she is selling soy and in a totally differnt type of container. There is suppossed to be 500 vendors at this show, so the turnout is usually VERY high, but this year, it doesn't seem like the crowd is as large as normal, and the people you do see aren't carrying anything! Oh well. Tomorrow is day 2, so hopefully I will have a better report tomorrow night!

Congrats on your first show! And good luck for tomorrow...sometimes day 2 can be more crowded than the 1st day.

I wonder if you are selling more clamshells and tarts than containers due to people tightening their wallets due to the rising prices of gas and everything else?

P.S. - Wanted to add you did good considering there were so many other candle vendors there!

I think you did great for your 1st day. At least you have your booth fee covered and are well into the black. Folks may have gone for your tarts and clamshells cause they were light and easier to carry. You are really brave IMHO to tackle a show that big for your 1st. Way to go! :yay:

Don't know what you were selling the pumpkins for. I sold mine at $10.95 and folks didn't seem to cringe.

Day 2...was a total bummer. It POURED rain all day long and the booths outside tore down at about 10am. The inside vendors waited until about 4 (show was suppossed to end at 5). Turnout was drab, of course. For the two days I sold 5 1/2 times the booth fee. I had no less than 10 people ask me if my candles were soy, and when I said no they just walked off:mad: There was one candle booth there that put all of us to shame. They were called Crowes Candles out of Missouri. They had the biggest freaking display I have ever seen...took about about 8 spots. I wasn't all that impressed with them, but then again I am biased:p Anyway, they did alot of business, had two cash registers going and T-shirts with the company name on them. Oh well. I will try to post pics in a few minutes if I can figure out how to get them off of my phone. Thanks for reading!

You'll know it's seriously bad when they walk in, pick up product and smell and enjoy it and then ask what kind of wax. We had one couple do this and it was like instant poison in their hands :rolleyes2

Congrats on getting through your first show and 3 1/2 is pretty good for the first day :) Sucks when the weather changes for day two, I know. Tis part of the life of outdoor shows. But now you aren't a show virgin any more, so here's to good shows for you in the future.

the people that asked if they were soy probably were connected somehow to the people selling that kind. sounds like you did good. I have been contemplating a couple of fall festivals around my neck of the woods. I don't mind, well yes I do mind the fee, but then the gas to get there. Kind of bums you out if you cannot at least make cost back. Then the flipside it is a grand feeling when you can sell out,(i am still waiting to see how that feels). so, the saga continues..........:cool2:

You'll know it's seriously bad when they walk in, pick up product and smell and enjoy it and then ask what kind of wax. We had one couple do this and it was like instant poison in their hands :rolleyes2

OMG...this happened! No joke, at least twice! They were smelling away and I thought I was going to have a for sure sale, because they were even commenting "Oh, this smells good enough to eat" and "What is that smell? It is wonderful?" Then, the question of "Is this soy?" came about and they vanished. At least its not just me:cheesy2:

At least its not just me:cheesy2:
Oh no, it isn't just you, and it seems to be happening more and more often. For some reason, people are thinking "soy = good, paraffin = bad". I even thought of switching to soy but it isn't that easy - for by the time I'm done with all the testing, who knows, this fad might have blown over.

Deputy-I feel your pain, try LIVING in the same town as Crowe's :rolleyes2 but hey, I am slowing stealing buz away from Crowe's :yay: they are HIGHLY over rated (thought that YEARS before I even thought of starting my business) but, hard to compete. I do avoid some shows that they go to because it's hard to compete, BUT I go to the local smaller shows because they don't bother, but I am trying to slowly sneak away the local customers that are disgruntled with them and their product. I am surprised that they are going to Indiana, guess the local show coordinaters are slowly getting tired of their stunts :P (he he) It'll all catch up with them eventually. Well, just get ready for the next one, that's all you can do. Good luck on your next show!

KimO

Thanks for the encouragement Kim...it would be hard if they were in the same town! Geesh...hopefully you will take away all their business, then you can move into there warehouse!!! I personally wasn't all that impressed with what I saw, and the one I have smelled burning before wasn't that impressive either. So, I wonder what the big deal is then?