Ecosoya PB

Thats fabulous, how do you do it....liquid or block dyes?

I've achieved something like it in pw pillars but only using solid dye...I've never tried liquid dyes.

Sally.

I've found that I get more frosting when I use liquid dye with soy so I've switched over to blocks. I use a cheese grater and grate them up real fine, then melt them down in a spoon over a flame until they're liquid form. That way they're completely melted and I don't end up with bits and pieces of solid color in the candles and they seem to blend well. It's hard to estimate how much grated up wax to use, so the left over I've started to store in plastic film canisters which makes for easy clean up and storage. :wink2:

I've found that I get more frosting when I use liquid dye with soy so I've switched over to blocks. I use a cheese grater and grate them up real fine, then melt them down in a spoon over a flame until they're liquid form. That way they're completely melted and I don't end up with bits and pieces of solid color in the candles and they seem to blend well. It's hard to estimate how much grated up wax to use, so the left over I've started to store in plastic film canisters which makes for easy clean up and storage. :wink2:

Thanks Daria thats a brilliant idea that I'm going to have to try out tomorrow.

Most of the dyes I've got are concentrated blocks that come in tubs so I just scrape off as much as I decide is enough....not accurate for replication but I like the uniqueness.

I've got some old spoons that I don't use for food but being the hoarder I am I haven't thrown them out.

I don't usually dye my soy, I like it natural, but I really like that effect so coloured soy may well be on the list for me.

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

Sally.:D

I don't know if there is a name for the technique, it was more or less playing around and experimenting. The end result does look very much like the rainbow pillar, however the methods to get it weren't the same. I basically poured a little wax at a time, added dye, poured more wax, more dye, and repeated the cycle until it was full. I haven't tried it with a water bath so I'd be curious to see how that would turn out, but I am curious to try!

Thanks Daria thats a brilliant idea that I'm going to have to try out tomorrow.

Most of the dyes I've got are concentrated blocks that come in tubs so I just scrape off as much as I decide is enough....not accurate for replication but I like the uniqueness.

I've got some old spoons that I don't use for food but being the hoarder I am I haven't thrown them out.

I don't usually dye my soy, I like it natural, but I really like that effect so coloured soy may well be on the list for me.

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

Sally.:D

That IS a cool looking candle and I agree it looks like the Northern Lights!

As for melting the wax in the spoon over a flame I'd be careful where you doing it especially if you're using a lighter as a flame and your window opened for the nosy neighbours to see, LOL! I have a huge complex facing my kitchen window and I always worry what they think when when I'm using odd equipment for my candlemaking late at night. I really need to get a window covering.:o

Great work!

Shannon

As for melting the wax in the spoon over a flame I'd be careful where you doing it especially if you're using a lighter as a flame and your window opened for the nosy neighbours to see, LOL! I have a huge complex facing my kitchen window and I always worry what they think when when I'm using odd equipment for my candlemaking late at night. I really need to get a window covering.:o

That would definitely get them wondering! Luckily I live out in the country so the only neighbors who I have to worry about who might see it are the cows out in the fields. ;) But I am using a candle instead of a lighter so it might not look quite as suspicious.