Bee disease

I just saw a story on our local news warning everyone that the price of honey will soon be going up. The story said beekeepers are losing large numbers of bees & honey production will be greatly affected. Stands to reason we'll also see a increase on already pricey BW. Better stock up. Does anyone raise bees that can tell us more?

Susan.

I used to raise honey bees. They do get diseases but they are closely watched by the agriculture dept. If a problem is found it is treated but in the case of certain diseases the infected hive of bees must be destroyed by burning. In some cases the entire colonies the bee keeper has must be burnt. This is to keep the disease from spreading.

I find it very hard to believe that it would get so out of hand that so many hives in the country or even one area would have to be destroyed.

Bill

We have a guy down the road that keeps bees, LOTS of bees. Obviously you can not keep them here in the winter ( it's -17 here this morning) so they truck all their bees to somewhere in Texas and Louisana. I guess most northern bee keepers must do something like that so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for stuff to spread from state to state.

There was information about this bee thing on Katie Couric's news channel last night... Case of the disappearing bees. Scientists are not sure what's causing it... however, honey biproducts are used in many things... Also our fruits and vegetable industry could begin to suffer with the lack of bees for pollination. The story was pretty interesting... I'm thinking, I'd better start hoarding beeswax...:lipsrseal

We have a guy down the road that keeps bees, LOTS of bees. Obviously you can not keep them here in the winter ( it's -17 here this morning) so they truck all their bees to somewhere in Texas and Louisana. I guess most northern bee keepers must do something like that so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for stuff to spread from state to state.

The operation I deal with is not huge, they keep there bees in the hives and just cover them in the winter. It gets very cold up here in the winter and they are fine. There is enough food for them and they keep there hives warm. There is no need to ship them to a warmer climate.