Car air freshners

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowgirl,Sorry so long to answer.Been on the Board but skipped this section.The colored blanks do fine with the FO.No problem.With your next sentence you said might be best to stay with the "white" ones but I think you meant colored ones.I am about to stay with colored but I just love that angel and dove from Bell Traders and just don't have any idea what FO's work and won't turn them yellow or brown.When you see the FO's in the bottle and they look lite yellow and also some are brownish colored, I don't think the yellow or brown would make a difference.Seems to be there was one that was light colored in the bottle and the white blank turned yellow/beige.You just hate wasting those blanks.My friend just loves Heaven.I am on my 3rd for her.She did get a different scent(Butterfly Kisses/a flower,but ordered Heaven too) this last time and I want to see if she is as hooked on that scent as she is Heaven.My fav has been Rice Flower and Shea.Husband does the scent part with that full strength brushing.To strong for me and gets to him too.Might try just dipping.Maybe not as bad.Brushing is time consuming and you are right on the stuff breathing it over and over.LynnS

so you don't worry about using too much? is there such a thing as too much?

By using the bottle with flip top lids you will get the hang of how much FO to squirt on. You can see the wet FO on the paper freshener, squirt more on in the dry areas until completely soaked but not dripping.

As far as the packaging, what I find with the plastic bags is the FO will eat the plastic, you can smell the scent through the bag and the scent leaks through the bag.

I use Food Saver Rolls, this is used with the Food Saver Vacuum System. I seal a bag to fit the freshener, insert the scented freshener and seal the opening shut, not vacuum seal. This plastic will not melt from the FO, you can not smell the scent through the bag nor will the FO seep out of the bag over time. I have had a freshener in a Food Saver Bag for over a year, opened it and it smelled as strong as the day I put it in there.

Yes this takes much more time but in the long run you know you have a strong smelling freshener to sell, even months later.

post-219-139458420197_thumb.jpg

I just got my blanks today and I will test some this coming week! I thought about spraying the FO and was glad to see someone suggest it on here!:smiley2:

HAs anyone ever mixed there FO with DPG for the air freshners? (Just trying to save $) if it doesnt sacrifice the scent!

I add DPG to mine and they smell really strong and it makes the fo go farther IMHO and they seem to last just as long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justrightcandles viewpost.gif

I have to assume that people test these in their cars right? That is their main purpose if I am not mistaking, and if you sell them they will definitely be used for that- SO... IMHO- I think you have to keep this in mind when you are adding all that FO. A car is a small space! They aren't really supposed to freshen your whole house. And in such an enclosed non air circulating environment, and ounce or anywhere near that of FO seems like a headache waiting to happen. You don't wan't people to have to put them under the seat or in the back because they are so strong, lol.

It should be more about the staying power than the strength. Sometimes one does equal the other, but at what expense?

I used a childs type cheap paint brush to brush on my fo... I did not premeasure- just dumped some in a glass dish to dip into easily. I would guess that I used 1/3 of an oz MAX which covered BOTH sides with excess that I just mopped up out of the bowl and kept adding it till it was gone out of the bowl and hoped that I didn't oversaturate any spots. I don't know about all the brands and kinds available, but the blanks that I have can only hold so much before they start to fuzz up on the surface.

Someone responding to this post mentioned that they layer it... put some on, let it dry then put on some more. I think that's a great idea. One that would go more towards the 'lasting' factor. I don't understand using an entire oz on these things though. That would be like pouring an entire sample bottle of FO into your car. Yikes. But maybe that's just me. :tiptoe:

Quote:

Originally Posted by justrightcandles viewpost.gif

I have to assume that people test these in their cars right? That is their main purpose if I am not mistaking, and if you sell them they will definitely be used for that- SO... IMHO- I think you have to keep this in mind when you are adding all that FO. A car is a small space! They aren't really supposed to freshen your whole house. And in such an enclosed non air circulating environment, and ounce or anywhere near that of FO seems like a headache waiting to happen. You don't wan't people to have to put them under the seat or in the back because they are so strong, lol.

It should be more about the staying power than the strength. Sometimes one does equal the other, but at what expense?

I used a childs type cheap paint brush to brush on my fo... I did not premeasure- just dumped some in a glass dish to dip into easily. I would guess that I used 1/3 of an oz MAX which covered BOTH sides with excess that I just mopped up out of the bowl and kept adding it till it was gone out of the bowl and hoped that I didn't oversaturate any spots. I don't know about all the brands and kinds available, but the blanks that I have can only hold so much before they start to fuzz up on the surface.

Someone responding to this post mentioned that they layer it... put some on, let it dry then put on some more. I think that's a great idea. One that would go more towards the 'lasting' factor. I don't understand using an entire oz on these things though. That would be like pouring an entire sample bottle of FO into your car. Yikes. But maybe that's just me. :tiptoe:

I can't imagine using an entire ounce either, I had just the bottom of a 1oz sampler bottle that I used and that seemed like a lot to me. I made another today for my son's girlfriend because she saw his and loved it. His was the first I ever made, and hers the second, but on hers I had Heavenly (her FO choice) in a spray bottle already and used it to make hers and it worked just fine. She's going to keep me updated on how long it lasts. So, so far I have used the squirt bottle on one and spray on another and I would say probably used the same amount of FO, and I'm keeping a paper on how long it lasts and since they both smoke in their cars, I'm interested to see how well they do. I am going to do the brush on technique on the one I send to my husband overseas, he's going to hang it in the bathroom he shares with his roommate. Talk about a true test huh? :lipsrseal hehehe

As far as the packaging, what I find with the plastic bags is the FO will eat the plastic, you can smell the scent through the bag and the scent leaks through the bag.

I use Food Saver Rolls, this is used with the Food Saver Vacuum System. I seal a bag to fit the freshener, insert the scented freshener and seal the opening shut, not vacuum seal. This plastic will not melt from the FO, you can not smell the scent through the bag nor will the FO seep out of the bag over time. I have had a freshener in a Food Saver Bag for over a year, opened it and it smelled as strong as the day I put it in there.

Yes this takes much more time but in the long run you know you have a strong smelling freshener to sell, even months later.

I know this is an old thread but I just saw this about packaging. Are you saying that the FO will eat right through a polypro bag that you would use for like votives or tarts ???? I haven't packaged my air fresheners yet, so I am curious if I should think of some other way of packaging them.

I have to come up with another packaging idea...I am using zip lock bags from papermart and it seems that I cannot let one scent touch another after they are packaged or else the bags will smell like the other scent...maybe I need a thicker bag....:undecided

I havent tried using my tart bags yet...of course the are alot thicker so maybe it would work:D

I think what i've read here a lot is that there are two kinds of zip baggies, for most people the average kind don't get exactly get 'eaten up' by the FO but what i've read is that they do 'suck out' the fragrance from your product. I beleive that the kind to look for (and they don't say it on them - you have to call the company or search here and see if anyone has already, lol) is polypro vs the other kind which is another kind of poly but not the right kind.

Got that? :tongue2::grin2:

I am pretty sure that the cello type bags (yup definitely thicker -- and they can have a crinkly sound and are often decorated with a print but not always) like kids's birthday party goody bags, are a good choice to use if you can't find the right zip type. Most baggies that you find in a craft section are the polypro since they are made for generic crafts and made to better resist glues and paints, etc. Thus the higher cost usually. But dont take my word for it, lol. If it doesn't say it, you will want to test em before you put all your product in them or look it up or call the company.

Good grief, I just read Candle Man's re and I trust his experience more than mine, lol.. so I thought I'd look it up for myself and here is a very helpful link to a discussion on these bags. http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36072&highlight=poly+pro

I put my ribbon thru the hole, lay it on foil, use the disposable droppers and put my first coat of FO and let them dry. I go back and put a second coat of FO and then after about 10 minutes of drying I hang them one of those plastic clothes hangers (I can get 3 on a hanger) in my basement in case I put too much FO as it dries the excess drips off from the bottom. Our basement has a rough looking concrete floor so I don't worry about any spots of FO.

I got one of those Food Savers last year, love it. Haven't tried it with my craft stuff but this sounds like a great ideal. How about putting about 10 blanks in a bag, squirt some scent in and seal. I put several in the bags I use to pkg and pour the scent in but these only have the flap seal so it does leak and get messy after awhile. They do absorb the oil while in the bag but your ideal is much better. Could always make the bag longer so it could be resealed if needed. I usually don't sell these but give one away with orders. So I'll make a few up, that have been scented, bag and label only when I need them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest secretbuddy018

i have a question. does it matter if you let the freshener dry or not? can't you just put them in the bags after scenting them?

if you have to let them dry then for how long?

Candles and Supplies has a good selection of these as well.

http://shop.candlesandsupplies.com/candles/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=Candles&category%5Fname=Air+Freshener+Paper&Page=1&path=Air+Freshener+Products%23Air+Freshener+Paper

I think proffessionally, these are done with screen printing which can get pretty expensive though.

I am thinking about airbrushing mine with stencils for the lettering and such.