FO seperation

made a candle with 4627 comfort blend and the scent was baby powder. Hubby Travels so he took one with him.

Well he got home last night and pulled it out of the suitcase and it seems all the FO went to the bottom and gelled up and then aslo leaked out the top(it was laying on its side). What would cause this? Scared that when we do ship candles that the FO will sink and gel up durning shipping.

Never had a problem with over 350 Fo's. Exclusively use 4627 and the load stated above. I would more agree with the binding of the fo and the wax either temp or length of mixing time. Not one time has the fo separted from the wax. Any possibility of additives or anything getting into the wax?

Hmmmm.........you said the ones not exposed to the severe cold were ok though......I'd set another one outside and see if the same thing happens. If so wouldn't it make sense with the high fragrance load of the 4627, that the wax contracted and forced the oil out? Just sounds logical. I have seen the wax shrink (contract) alot with this cold. We even had 4 discolor badly last week in shipping and they were fine when they went out the door with ups. The candles, all of the pinks and reds, all were perfect and then when they got to the customer, ugly! So, yes the cold can do weird things to the candles.

I don't use this wax but am having the same problem with one FO... so far. I used between 8-9% of FO pp and am able to use 10. Candle was lit a few days after curing...fine. A few weeks later, after letting it to cure longer, I noticed that it had drops of liquid in it. Looked like a little bit of FO to me. But I though maybe I did that somehow. Wiped it off, let it sit. Nothing, a week or so later... again. Now I lit it and it's burning fine, and throw is fine. That's the only FO that's done that to me (stormwatch), so I think you might need to cut down on that particular FO's load too. Try leaving another one outside like suggested, and make another one with a dif. FO to compare. I don't doubt that the cold does funky things though, especially to soy. And I agree with Top, you can't treat all FO's the same, that's especially apparent in wicking and H/T.