What kind of shopping bag do you use?

Smokin'Hot

I was just getting ready to buy my bags from papermart that I use to put my customer's goods in and was just curious what some of you use? I usually get a gift bag that has something sort of design or check print on it, although I do like the gingham sacks too! Thanks for sharing :grin2:

We use the burgundy tinted paper shoppers in our store. We put a cute kraft label on them with all our info/logo and framed with a checkered burgundy border. We use kraft colored tissue to wrap everything. We go thru a minimum of 200 bags a week.

When we first opened our store I did alot of research on the "big guys". One thing I noticed was they all use nice bags. (Some of them insanely nice bags.. VS bags are crazy nice...) I really think bags help set the tone for the total experience. I know in my little town everyone knows that the burgundy bag means you have been to the candle shop.

I guess it all depends on the "feel" you are looking for for your business.. IE - sensible product, sensible price, sensible bag. I'm personally going more for the ... I spent a little more than I planned... but hey they are great products... I'm worth it "feel". So far that stragedy is working great for us:)

Just rememeber if you go with a higher priced bag to add it into the bottom line when you are figuring out your prices.

HTH,

Chele

I have VERY little to sell at this point. I am trying to make sure that anything I sell is a treat to whomever gets it. I've worked very hard over the past couple of years, spent thousands on testing and experimenting, given away thousand of $$ in samples. Still, I'm finding that a lot of the people that "love" to get the samples don't "love" to pay for the finished product. They're going to the $$ store. These same people continue to ask for freebies and donations for gift baskets.

I've decided that I would be happier going towards a more "high-end" look and have gotten some of the "designer" bags, etc. from Nashville Wraps. I may end up losing my entire investment, but I am trying to do as Chele and add the "feel" to the buyer with the nice bag. I even put my samples in the nice bags when I'm somewhere handing them out.

Free samples - we used to give tons of stuff away when we started. I think that is what really helped grow our business. Now I just have a small basket I put out with discounted and "free" stuff. When we have low poured tarts or really ugly ones (dropped, smushed etc) we mark them "free". Customers always look to see if there are any free ones in the basket... I rarely have anyone ask for free samples anymore.. that seemed to fix that. Now on B&B stuff - we make up free little 1/2 oz samples that we give to the customer if they seem hesistant to buy... kindof a "kill them with kindness" thing. It turns into a sale probably half the time. Our new promotion for February is if they buy one of our containers of Whipped Soy Body Cream - they will get a small "purse size"container free.

Give away at the beginnnig - you have to get people using your product... but in reality no one needs more than one sample of your stuff.. they either like it enough to buy it or not.

Gift baskets/Donations - This subject will make my head explode. I get bombarded everyday with people wanting donations for everything you can imagine... especially now that we have moved to Main Street. What we have started doing is - if they are a regular customer.. we do it. Half the time they are not.. we've never seen them before... and most we never will see again till it time to beg anouther gift basket. My answer to them is... leave me some paperwork.. I'll have my accountant look over it... translated to mean... you aren't getting anything from me this time :) It's ok not to give to everyone that asks. If in doubt we found a Gift Certificate is the way to go... forces the receipent to actually find you and shop your products... thats assuming they use the gift certificate... we don't ever see about a third of the ones we give out... ever again...

Sorry I'm in ramble mode... waiting on wax to melt.

Have a great day!

Chele

I use plastic T shirt bags that are hot pink (cerice) in color. I purchase them from Veripack, 1000 for $48.00 There are also several styles of thank you

T shirt bags available... 43.45/1000. I'm thinking of changing to the white bag with a rose, that says "Have a nice day" , "Thank You for Shopping with us". These are handled bags,, and handles are a "MUST" for me. Shoppers like to carry numerous bags over their arms when buying at big craft shows.

Since we do both indoor and outdoor shows and live in a cool climate where there's snow and sleeting,the plastic protects the products from getting wet.

i use the kraft bags at uline. in two different sizes

here is the small one

http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-7636&ref=5505

and the medium to large one

http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-7098&ref=5505

love your idea Chele. Think i am gonna go onto visatprints site to have some customer stickers or lables printed with the glossy finish to apply to each of my bags. right now i think that will be a better option until i can have them professionally done

I use brown kraft bags from Nashville Wraps and had a stamp made. I paid $15 for a stamp to be made. I actually got the link from someone on this board, but can't remember who. I did a quick search and couldn't find the person made mine, but you may want to check out the other people on there :) HTH!

I use the Thank You bags from Sam's.After reading this might think about the Kraft bags and a stamp.So far at shows people are happy and once in awhile they already have a bag and want me to drop the candle etc in it. Would be nice to have something this next week-end for my OPEN HOUSE.I found some really pretty pink, red and white bags at the Dollar Tree just for a Valentine Open House.Would fit a few candles but about anything else but tart burners.Only 8 ounce jar but plenty of tarts,lotion etc.They have a cut out of ribbons and hearts. Cost is 12 for a $1.00 but just for this occasion.LynnS

I get my handle bags from Nashville Wraps. My customers love them and I don't put my name on the bags...customers love them to recycle for their own personal use. I use two sizes the cub and vogue.

IMO - I have to disagree. I use stickers on all of my bags. I don't want a customer to re-gift a FREE bag I give them.

I use the cub bags for my candles and the thank you bags for lighter purchases (clamshells, votives), but I have a bag story. I did a craft show last year and I noticed a lady had quite a few smaller bags and was having difficulty carrying all of them. I offered her one of my bags to help her out, (no label, stamp, etc.) she was very appreciative, so I went about my day. She came back about an hour later and bought $100 worth of candles & diffusers. Not bad for a "free" bag.

I so agree Deb..... I vend at several 800-900 vendor shows, and inevitably someone has purchased goods that are put in paper bags and plastic bags that are falling apart by tme they get to my booth.. It has always been my practice to offer free bags to help make those customers shopping experience a little better. And many times those people purchase from me.

LOL that won't stop them. I've received gifts in gift bags which had a shop name/sticker on them.

well then tht is just dvertising for that store right? ive found this board quite interesting! never thought about what bag to use! i had to go and buy a huge bag for 1.00 from michaels b/c my DH was brgging on his wife (me lol) and sold some stuff to a coworker! i was so excited! it was my first sale! so i really cant be spening 1.00 for 1 bag anymore but it work at the time

LOL that won't stop them. I've received gifts in gift bags which had a shop name/sticker on them.

Well, if they do that then that's more advertisement for me Then again, the person receving the gift in my bag thinks the gift came from me when it didn't. But either way I might get a new customer.

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_5554.asp?desc=Die+Cut+Handle

i bought the black ones and now i need the large one i think i will get white to go with my colors, black and white. I would love to have my logo on it right now but i am going to have to wait a little in that. I think it looks more professional with you have your name on it and it is advertising.