Thinking of buying FO Stateside

Ian H

I hope so.

This european candle association site is unwatchable. Clearly abandoned and out of date.

You should see the italian site... what a shame

You think that is bad - we don't even have a candle association in South Africa!!!:rolleyes2

Katinka

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Ian,

Sorry to be responding so late to this thread - I've been at Spring Fair in Birmingham for a while so I didn't see it till now.

I'm based in the UK and I run my own candle company and I refuse to sell a candle that has a weak or non-existant throw. I import a lot of oils from the USA but the difference between myself and some of the other UK suppliers is that I buy the "premium" oils - because this is my business, and I want the best - I don't import oils for sale to others at a profit. I import for my own use.

The problem that oil suppliers in the UK have is that if they want to sell their oils as cheaply as possible on Ebay, they buy the absolute cheapest they can find and rarely go over the $10 to $12 mark per lb, because they then have to factor in the postage of around $8 per bottle. If the oils they order comes to more than £40 in UK value, then they will also get stung with customs and import duties. So basically, what you're getting is the cheapest, weakest oil possible that has been cut a lot. Of course, some UK suppliers pay a little more, so their oils are a little better - but they would rarely be as good as the oils that a candle company would buy for themselves as it is the candle company's reputation on the line. I hope this makes sense?

Basically, what I'm saying is that trying to find high quality oils in the UK is hard. Most of them are suitable for hobbiest candle makers and soapers and are usually not the best quality due to high import costs and fragrance cutting.

Now, you might think to yourself "it says on their website that they don't cut their fragrance oils" and they WOULD be telling they truth - but the real truth of it is the statement should say "we don't cut our fragrance oils, but the people we buy them from do". Of course, the person they buy from could also say the same thing!!!

In addition to importing fragrances, I have now got a very large international fragrance manufacturer in the UK making my fragrances for me, to my specification. These oils have proven to be the best I have ever used and can be used at a lighter percentage and still achieve a fabulous scent throw. I have just found out that this company also makes all Jo Malone fragrances, and seeing as she charges up to £200 for a candle, you can imagine she only wants the best!! I have also been talking with another supplier in the UK and testing their samples - and they're very good too.

I am toying with the idea of selling fragrance oils in the UK, but at the moment I sell exclusively on a "come and ask me and I'll see what I can do" basis. I currently have around 350 different fragrances in the categories of fruit, citrus, drinks, food and bakery, fresh and clean, nature and floral. If you want to see a list of my fragrances then just send me a pm. I usually sell them for £2.50 for a 50ml bottle, plus postage. This of course includes the cost of the actual HDPE plastic bottle and packaging. No matter how much you order, the postage will never be more than £6.00 by courier as long as the weight is under 25kgs as I have a courier account.

Just to re-iterate, I am NOT a fragrance supplier, but I do supply fragrances to other candle and soap makers by request. I run my own candle business, so you can be assured that I'm selling an oil that I deem good enough for my own products and not an oil that has been imported as cheaply as possible to make a profit.

In any case - I hope you're having fun making candles and don't become as obsessed as the rest of us! Where in the UK are you based?

Natasha

It's never too late to respond Natasha, especially with a post as informative as yours. I agree entirely with your comments. I think there is some hope that the availability of quality FO's will improve in the UK. It will take time and I think that the successful suppliers will source within the UK for reasons you have stated.

I find candle making quite therapeutic. I enjoy making them and also like the end product. It is a pastime that for me has the right challenge level without being too tedious. I am still very much in the learning stage but I'm pleased with my progress to date.

BTW I live in Shipley, West Yorkshire.

Ian

Thanks Sally :grin2: BTW, have finished my FO inventory for the time being so gimmie a shout if you want anything. Also just got a new pallet of wax despite me saying I wasn't gonna - so if you need wax, the price is lowered again. Have some "Fro-Stop" here too. Not tried it yet - do you want some? I only have 5lbs of it, cos it's like gold dust but I can send a bit up if you want - you'll probably get to test it before me!

I've said it before & I'll say it again....you temptress!

Can you send me your FO list & I'll print it off this time.

I'm ok for wax just now but we all know how quickly that can change.

I'm interested in the "fro-stop" cos I've been playing with dye in some tho' nothing serious yet, I still like the soy undyed.

I've got a parcel coming soon with the Solas fo's & some from the classys & Peaks to add to it.....runs away & hides!

Sally.

Ps Sally - I went to Spring Fair in Birmingham this week and managed to meet with Anchor Hocking Glass - their prices were very very good and I'm getting some samples, but I also concentrated on anyone who could supply glass in a multitude of shapes, jars and tumblers and it all was so fabulous! I'm hoping I get some samples in the post this week and find out more about their minimum orders etc.

The Yankee stand was enormous, as was Parks, Prices, Stone Glow, Greenleaf etc. There were literally HUNDREDS of stands that had candles or one sort or another.

I think I've seen their website, must be some months ago cos my memory is a bit hazy & it's not saved on this puter.

Sounds like an exciting fair to go.

I will get jars etc going this year cos I've got my tins working well now.

Step by step I'll get there.

Sally.