Thinking of buying FO Stateside

Ian H

Hi,

i only just spotted this thread but am so pleased that i did, i was drooling over the Natures Garden website a while ago and was so gutted when this wouldnt ship the the U.K, but now thanks to this forum i can now order the all the fragrances i wanted to order months ago.:yay:

Also ( and sorry to high jack this thread about something different) - but would the U.K candlemakers mind sharing where they get their wax (parrafin and also thinking of adding soy) from and how much they pay for it to be delivered- i get my from candleicious- as he's local and i can pick the wax up myself but he has drastically increased his prices, so i need to find a new supplier, Thanks very much.:grin2:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this belongs to the classies, but as we are here in a small European circle, so to say: I have so many new samples from Just Scent, Gemlite, Tradewinds, Keystone, BCN, BCS, Soycandle, JBN, KY, .... - would you like to buy these at a very low price? I cannot sell them in the US because - as we all know - this would be too expensive with shipping.

So, if you are interested, I'll make a list, okay?

There are three places i've found have the best wax. They work out quite cheap if you buy in large quanities. The cheapest (and i find it's good wax) is http://www.craftwiseuk.com/acatalog/candlemaking.html They have free shipping and sell the wax in 1kg, 5kg or 25kg. They don't always have the 25kg one in stock, but it's well worth waiting for it for the price. This website has quite cheap and good wax http://www.candelights.co.uk/ i find it's great for a mottled look. Finally the best for blended wax is http://www.4candles.co.uk/wax/paraffin_wax.html There wax is a little more expensive, but very nice wax it is!!!! Hope that helps

I know this belongs to the classies, but as we are here in a small European circle, so to say: I have so many new samples from Just Scent, Gemlite, Tradewinds, Keystone, BCN, BCS, Soycandle, JBN, KY, .... - would you like to buy these at a very low price? I cannot sell them in the US because - as we all know - this would be too expensive with shipping.

Yes I am interested Inez. Email me with your list if possible plus some idea on cost ex shipping.

Ian

Also ( and sorry to high jack this thread about something different) - but would the U.K candlemakers mind sharing where they get their wax (parrafin and also thinking of adding soy) from and how much they pay for it to be delivered- i get my from candleicious- as he's local and i can pick the wax up myself but he has drastically increased his prices, so i need to find a new supplier, Thanks very much.:grin2:

Victoria

Thornes do soy wax, paraffin and beeswax. Their delivery is free if your order is over £100. They also sell moulds and other bits and bobs too.

Their website is www.thorne.co.uk

Ruby

Hi guys

At the risk of being repetitous I will stock the oils you want, just tell me what it is and it will magically appear on the website ! Inside the next 3 weeks I will be starting to stock oils from a UK manufacturer that will equal those from the US in quality and be lower in price, so drop in and tell me what your favourite oils are.

Ian - what was your opinion ? I feel confident that you happy.

Thanks all

Keith

http://www.candelights.co.uk

Hi guys

At the risk of being repetitous I will stock the oils you want, just tell me what it is and it will magically appear on the website ! Inside the next 3 weeks I will be starting to stock oils from a UK manufacturer that will equal those from the US in quality and be lower in price, so drop in and tell me what your favourite oils are.

Ian - what was your opinion ? I feel confident that you happy.

Thanks all

Keith

I only received my delivery of your oils Today Keith. I have already used some of them in a selection of votives, container and pillar candles. As I used a 70%/30% mix of soy and paraffin they need to rest a little before I can test the hot throw. The Luscious Vanilla oil appears to be the strongest, already it is giving a strong cold throw. A slightly surprising strong note of sweet butter dominates the vanilla a bit but not unpleasant.

Overall I can confirm that I am happy with your service, delivery and products. The oils were at least as good as any I have used from the UK to date, they mixed very well into the wax also.

If my understanding is correct these oils are not from your UK producer.

As I've stated before I feel that the UK market is ready for more complex layered scents similar to those on offer in the USA. As they are complex I don't think it too realistic for you to try to clone the US FO's, for one there are far too many of them. I think you need to develop a range, possibly being involved with the r&d side with the manufacturer. You need a range that covers the key scent groups such as floral, bakery, fruits etc. Marketed ideally with a relevant description for each scent.

BTW sorry all for the length of this post.

Ian

Inez, great idea.

we (european) can open thread in the classies when we have something to sell or need, with "EU" in the title!

What do you think?

Thanks for the suggestions Ian, I was sort of going down the road of research and design, as you say there are so many US oils it would be insane to try to clone them.

Regarding the oils you purchased only the fresh cut roses is from the US, the other two are from my manufacturer here, you actually chose two of their better oils, some of them do leave a lot to be desired, which is why I want them to make up new ones.

Keith

To be honest it's hard to think of fragrances i specifically want, i usually just see what there is and choose from that!!!

I do love the aniseed smell though, and lily of the valley and spearmint!!!!

And so it shall be !! Give me a week or three to arrange it

Thanks everyone for the info on waxes and sorry again for taking the discussion away from fragrances. I am trying to find a new supplier for my wax but am trying to still get the extact same wax(salsol) so i dont have to go through testing all over again.

Thanks for the suggestions Ian, I was sort of going down the road of research and design, as you say there are so many US oils it would be insane to try to clone them.

Regarding the oils you purchased only the fresh cut roses is from the US, the other two are from my manufacturer here, you actually chose two of their better oils, some of them do leave a lot to be desired, which is why I want them to make up new ones.

Keith

The Luscious Vanilla oil is without doubt growing on me. I have decided that the aroma is like a freshly opened packet of butterkist sweetened popcorn, if you know what I mean. It is very strong, without doubt the strongest UK bought FO I've tried. I've had to put the 6" pillar I made with it into a polythene bag as it is making me feel hungry.:grin2: I've burnt one of the votives that I made and although it is a little early there is certainly a goodly amount of fragrance from it.

On the r&d side, if the manufacturer is starting from scratch I feel that your estimate of 2 to 3 weeks to produce a core range could be a little optimistic. In fairness I know nothing of the manufacture of FO's but if I was setting this up I would not accept less than the best as this would compromise your range and create potential customer dissatisfaction.

Ian

I've just received shipping information on my NG order...................There could be a problem.:(

They appear to be routing it to West Yorkshire, CA not West Yorkshire, UK. Oo-err!!

I've sent them an email to clarify. BTW I suspect there isn't a West Yorkshire in Canada.

I'll keep you posted.

Ian

Thanks everyone for the info on waxes and sorry again for taking the discussion away from fragrances. I am trying to find a new supplier for my wax but am trying to still get the extact same wax(salsol) so i dont have to go through testing all over again.

Victoria - I hope I'm not jumping the gun but have you had a look at my site? I carry Sasol beaded paraffin wax (4137) and although I don't have any paraffin container in stock at the moment that is changing in the next week or two.

Keith

The Luscious Vanilla oil is without doubt growing on me. I have decided that the aroma is like a freshly opened packet of butterkist sweetened popcorn, if you know what I mean. It is very strong, without doubt the strongest UK bought FO I've tried. I've had to put the 6" pillar I made with it into a polythene bag as it is making me feel hungry.:grin2: I've burnt one of the votives that I made and although it is a little early there is certainly a goodly amount of fragrance from it.

On the r&d side, if the manufacturer is starting from scratch I feel that your estimate of 2 to 3 weeks to produce a core range could be a little optimistic. In fairness I know nothing of the manufacture of FO's but if I was setting this up I would not accept less than the best as this would compromise your range and create potential customer dissatisfaction.

Ian

I know just what you mean about Butterkist !! my other half doesn't agree though, she's from Atlanta and of course popcorn there has to be salted rather than sweet or it would seem to be a common American liking, but yes, it is a strong aroma and very similar to the smell of Butterkist.

The 2 or 3 week time span was given to me by the sampling dept but it isn't for a core range, this will be about 6 simple oils, lavender, baby powder, clean cotton etc, nothing with complex layers, those will come later over time, first off I just want to get a basic range together that will be as good as can be bought in the US without the extra expense.

Keith

The 2 or 3 week time span was given to me by the sampling dept but it isn't for a core range, this will be about 6 simple oils, lavender, baby powder, clean cotton etc, nothing with complex layers, those will come later over time, first off I just want to get a basic range together that will be as good as can be bought in the US without the extra expense.

Keith

Put me down for some Clean Cotton Keith. Incidentally, will you be offering this range at the same prices as your current offer?

BTW I notice you've reduced the price of your soy wax. Getting closer to me ordering a few kg's from you.:grin2:

Ian

Certainly Ian, I'll send you a sample when it comes in.

I found a better supplier on the soy so I was able to pass on the reduction.

Keith

Incidentally, how do I get these posts to put carriage returns in? I have to edit every post before I post it adding in the paragraph opening and closing tag, any clues?

Put me down for some Clean Cotton Keith. Incidentally, will you be offering this range at the same prices as your current offer?

BTW I notice you've reduced the price of your soy wax. Getting closer to me ordering a few kg's from you.:grin2:

Ian

I'm hoping they'll be cheaper but I haven't got a price from the manufacturer yet.

Certainly Ian, I'll send you a sample when it comes in.

I found a better supplier on the soy so I was able to pass on the reduction.

Keith

Cheers Keith.:yay:

Incidentally, how do I get these posts to put carriage returns in? I have to edit every post before I post it adding in the paragraph opening and closing tag, any clues?

I can't think what your problem is there. I just press the enter key a couple of times and it gives a paragraph space without manually tagging it. On one of the threads I was involved in there was someone with a similar problem. I don't know if this was resolved though.

Ian

Think it was me your thinking of! Anyway yes i did have the problem of it not putting in paragraphs and it drove me nuts!!!

Anyway i fixed it by going to the member control panel and changing the settings for posting msgs!

There's one right near the end which is the type of type box you use. Anyway mine was on the WYSIWYG type so i changed it to the very simplest it and voila!!!

I got me my paragraphs!!!!!

Hope that helps (there's more info on it in the board usage thread under paragraphs

Late breaking news

My order from NG has arrived.:yay:5 days in transit............Not bad.

I've dipped a cotton bud in each and put them in an id marked polyethylene bag and sat the bags over a radiator.

I'm waiting for a delivery of wax ATM so I can't go into production yet.

Ian

Late breaking news

My order from NG has arrived.:yay:5 days in transit............Not bad.

I've dipped a cotton bud in each and put them in an id marked polyethylene bag and sat the bags over a radiator.

I'm waiting for a delivery of wax ATM so I can't go into production yet.

Ian

Soooo, what are your thoughts of the oob smell so far?

Soooo, what are your thoughts of the oob smell so far?

Out of the bag works better for me than out of the bottle. Firstly I'm pleased with my selection. I like the vanilla types less than the others, but that's just personal taste. The pomegranate is 'well in your face', and to me the strongest. Dreama feels the weakest. At the moment Butterfly hugs and orchid rain are the best. The trouble is that every time I sniff I change my mind.

I'm using thin food bags and most of the fragrances are detectable without opening them. Next test is when my better? half gets home from work. The final test will be when I cast them in wax.

Looking good.:grin2::grin2::grin2:

Ian