Thinking of buying FO Stateside

Ian H

I use the FO's from 4Candles and really like them, i also use the solid fragrance and find that it is the best i have ever used. Do you mean the same place at www.4candles.co.uk . I agree that there is not enough choice but they do add a few more each month. Where is the question you have posted about the solid scent? , i am new to this site and it looks really good its also funny because Steve at 4candles was the one who told me to take a look at this site.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the FO's from 4Candles and really like them, i also use the solid fragrance and find that it is the best i have ever used. Do you mean the same place at www.4candles.co.uk . I agree that there is not enough choice but they do add a few more each month. Where is the question you have posted about the solid scent? , i am new to this site and it looks really good its also funny because Steve at 4candles was the one who told me to take a look at this site.

Yes that's the site I meant. I received a delivery of solid and FO from them yesterday. I agree that the solid wax FO is good. The problem to me is that he only sells 15 FO's and 4 solids, all of his range is what I would call simple fragrances, not the complex mixtures available in the States.

He does offer a reasonably priced range of products with excellent delivery. I suspect he will get most of my candle cash allocation.

Ian

I suppose it depends in what your after really. I find i much prefer the simpler scents, sometimes the more complex ones are a little too much of a good thing. I like to try them all though (well i keep bakery scents far away!!!). In fact i plan on working my way through as many scents and suppliers as possible, but i have to get through all the hundreds of scents i've already accumulated first!!!!!

I suppose it depends in what your after really. I find i much prefer the simpler scents, sometimes the more complex ones are a little too much of a good thing. I like to try them all though (well i keep bakery scents far away!!!). In fact i plan on working my way through as many scents and suppliers as possible, but i have to get through all the hundreds of scents i've already accumulated first!!!!!

I've just placed an order with NG for 10 1oz testers, mainly florals from their best sellers range. Excluding postage the cost works out to just more than 1 UK pound per oz. I'm awaiting their postal charge options via email.

Still waiting any response from the other 4 suppliers that I've emailed.:rolleyes2:waiting:

Ian

I've just placed an order with NG for 10 1oz testers, mainly florals from their best sellers range. Excluding postage the cost works out to just more than 1 UK pound per oz. I'm awaiting their postal charge options via email.

I think you will be really pleased with NG. They are one of my main suppliers and they have such a wide variety. Some of my favorites from there are:

Downy Clean Breeze

Hot apple pie

Banana Kiwi

Melon Mist

Downy Water Lily & jasmine

French Market

Just Scents has some really good fragrances also, but it is really hit or miss in my wax. Another supplier I use is Bittercreek North, they have a large selection of fo's that throw really well. Wick your Wax out of Canada (you can get a few of their fo's from Bittercreek here in the US) has some really good oils, they seem a little pricier at first but in general you do not have to use as much to get a really good throw. Good luck and keep us informed of how everything goes.

I think you will be really pleased with NG. They are one of my main suppliers and they have such a wide variety. Some of my favorites from there are:

Downy Clean Breeze

Hot apple pie

Banana Kiwi

Melon Mist

Downy Water Lily & jasmine

French Market

The ones I've ordered are :-

- Butterfly Hugs Fragrance Oil (ZB,ZG,ZS) 1 ounce

- Cotton Balls & Blossoms Fragrance Oil (ZS,ZB) 1 ounce

- Dreama Fragrance Oil (ZB, ZS) 1 ounce

- Floral Bouquet Fragrance Oil (ZB,ZS) 1 ounce

- French Market Fragrance Oil (ZS,ZB,ZG) 1 ounce

- Grandma's Kitchen Fragrance Oil 1 ounce

- Innocence Fragrance Oil (ZB,ZG) 1 ounce

- Orchid Rain Fragrance Oil -New (ZB, ZS) 1 ounce

- Pomegranate Fragrance Oil (ZB,ZS) 1 ounce

- Vanilla Silk Fragrance Oil (ZB) 1 ounce

I'm happy with my choice...............Smell will tell.

BTW What is the significance of the Z suffixes? I guess ZG stands maybe for gel compatible and ZS soy, don't know about ZB though.

Ian

So far I have only tried NG Pomegranate and this is one of my all time fav.

You won't be disappointed!

It's years since I last ate a pomegranate. Too many seeds. I'm desperately trying to remember the aroma.:grin2:

Ian

Ian,

The ZB is for body safe. I just ordered 10 from NG as well, and the Orchid Rain is good for a floral. If you decide to try fruits, you can't go wrong with some of the others there as well. So far out of the 10 I picked, I haven't found one yet that isn't wonderful. Happy testing!

Pat

I suspect it may take a little longer than 3 days to get to me Pat.:sad2:

I think I will have to wait until Monday before they can email my delivery options. I of course will be opting for the fastest option that will not cost silly money.

Ian

Jeez, I go to the bush to relax for two days and look at this thread! Sorry Ian, did not want it to appear like I am ignoring you. Companies I use is Indiana Candle Supplies - she has some nice oils for reasonable prices. Just Scent is still my all time favourite - I will pm you Becky's direct email - very strange that you have had no reply!! Peaks ship, Bittercreek South ships, Candlescience used to (my favourite for molds and wick) but now they don't anymore. Candlewic does international - they just sometimes take a bit longer because they only do USPS once a week but are a good alternative for molds etc. Cierra Candles also does international - I tried them for the first time last week and if they are good I will also start ordering from them. Unfortunately Natures Garden does not ship to me - I salivated over their oils when I started out and was really dissapointed when they said no... You have had some luck there. BTW, all of these ship USPS.

HTH!

Katinka:grin2:

Thanks for that Ian.

Blimey, this thread has grown in one day! Ian, if you're interested in different oil than the ones I have then let me know where you interest lies, I'm happy to get anything into stock if people want it ! and I can get any oil made here in the UK that's as good if not better than those of the US. Hard to believe I know but it's true. I'm starting to stock them in about 2 or 3 weeks time and they will have a separate listing to avoid confusion with the current range.

Can you expand on the throw rating request, I'm not sure how you want it defined.

Thanks

Keith

I sincerely thank you and the other contributers to this thread. I have found the feed-back a tremendous help.

I am totally new to the wax melting thing, with a lot of things to learn. I am pleased with my progress to date but there is still a long way to go. Despite my advancing years I have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. I am a hobby oriented person in all of which I strive to achieve the highest possible standards. With the help of the kind people subscribing to this board I assure you that I will achieve this.

Goodness that is too much like a CV.:embarasse

Ian

Thanks for that Ian.

Blimey, this thread has grown in one day! Ian, if you're interested in different oil than the ones I have then let me know where you interest lies, I'm happy to get anything into stock if people want it ! and I can get any oil made here in the UK that's as good if not better than those of the US. Hard to believe I know but it's true. I'm starting to stock them in about 2 or 3 weeks time and they will have a separate listing to avoid confusion with the current range.

Can you expand on the throw rating request, I'm not sure how you want it defined.

Thanks

Keith

My, and my better? halves preference of fragrances is rich floral types. Not got into fruits or bakery types yet, but who knows.

As I typed earlier I will keep a close watch on the progress of your FO offer. I wouldn't expect your offer to match the US range but there is surely a niche for a quality product at a reasonable price. I don't know how big the potential market is, you are able to assess that better, but it strikes me that Europe and beyond are in need of it.

I quoted a throw rating because to my mind FO is potentially the most expensive element in candle making. There is no point in putting it in if the results are below par. The simplest way to identify this is to just use numbers...........Say 1 to 5, 1 being poor 5 being totally 'in your face', open the window PLEASE. I've seen a scent rating on a site in the form of a mint leaf icon, it only went up to 3 leaves though.

The general problem, as I see it, is the various types and characteristics of wax. Realistically you could only base it on the waxes that you sell.

I'm sure that you do look at the US FO sites. I've looked at a lot of them myself. In general their descriptions are almost mouth watering. In the main the UK ones are one liners that in no way expand the senses. It's a buyers market that is driven by marketing. You could be offering the best product in the world but if you don't tempt people they won't buy. Saying that it's the best doesn't work.

If you need any help on the R&D side I'm more than happy to help.:grin2:

Ian

For all my euro friend, if you want to know why we haven't so much choice in supplies take a look at this thread (and at the graph in it).

Then cry with me!

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22193

I suspect that the usage has increased since this graph was published. If not in the 2 weeks I've been doing this I've produced enough candles to supply the UK market for a year.:grin2:

Ian

I suspect that the usage has increased since this graph was published. If not in the 2 weeks I've been doing this I've produced enough candles to supply the UK market for a year.:grin2:

Ian

I hope so.

This european candle association site is unwatchable. Clearly abandoned and out of date.

You should see the italian site... what a shame

I've now completed my transaction with NG for my 10 X 1oz samples of their scents. I opted for Airmail letter post at $11.60 (6.08 UK pounds). Will take 4-10 days to reach me.

Incidentally the postal cost is not much more than I would expect if I bought in the UK.

The other option they offered was Economy letter post at $5.50 ........ I didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks for the saving.

In conclusion the total cost to me is 16.54 UK pounds. £1.65 per oz delivered.

This is less cost than the equivalent UK offer for 30 grams without delivery. I am hoping that these will be a superior product than I am currently able to obtain locally. In which case I will be in a win,win,win situation.:grin2::grin2::grin2: . :highfive:

Ian

Hmm, just watch out though, as soon as you start buying in bulk more, you can stuck for custom charges. Anything over £18 can be done (less likely with USPS tho) for import duty, which isn't a lot really!!! I got stuck a few times paying like a £10 import duty and another £10 handling fee!!!! So you gotta be careful, cause take that into account and you don't save at all!!!!!

I understand, it isn't without potential problems i agree. I would be delighted if someone like Keith at Candlelights offered a viable alternative. The reality as I see it, is the product range and quality just isn't in place in the UK ATM.

That is what this thread is about.............Finding an alternative option.

Ian

Hi Ian, I live in Iceland and have ordered most of my supplies from the States. I have ordered FO´s from Aroma Haven/Rustic Escentuals and think they are great.

I ordered 10 2oz samples from Daystar on the 22nd January and they arrived here on the 29th!! :yay: Stacy used the Global Flat Rate option which was very reasonable - she has great customer service as well.

I e-mailed Peaks a few months ago and they were very helpful, I ordered a stack of stuff and they shipped it to me USPS, which was a fraction of the UPS cost. It did take three week though, but will make sure I re-order stuff before I run out of anything.

I have also ordered from Alan at Candelicious in the UK and got some stuff from Sensory Perfection.

When I first started making candles I drooled for days over the Natures Garden website, then found out that they did not ship internationally. Having read this thread, I am going to try to get them to send me stuff via USPS.

Good Luck with your endeavour and let us know how the NG FO´s turn out.

I think that Natures Garden website is excellent, I too have drooled.:drool:

If you like their product it would be worth an email. They are not fully set-up for international trade as their COO options are just USA and Canada. I had to put down my COO as Canada with a note that I was in the UK. This had a delaying effect on me completing the order as I made 2 payments, one for the goods and one for the shipment. Both payments were through Paypal which made it more workable for me.

Of the five US companies that I emailed only 2 have replied to date. I won't bother to resend as I have got what I need for the time being.

I will certainly post my findings on these oils in 4 to 10 days..............Just got confirmation that they've shipped.:yay:

Ian