Lets get to know the "experts"

Just thought this would be a good way for us newbies to get to know the "experts". Please answer a few questions about yourself.

How long have you been making candles and what type do you do?(container, pittar, etc)

Why did you choose soy over parafin?

How long was your testing process?

What was your first experience selling?

What was your biggest "nightmare" with candle making?

What is your best advice for those of us who want to be just like you???

Thanks for answering, I'm curious just how many accumulated years of experience on this board.

I'll try to keep track.

How long have you been making candles and what type do you do?(container, pittar, etc)

I first started in high school but just kept it as a hobby until 2000 then went professional. I make lots of different kinds container,pillar, gel, tapers, floaters, and tarts.

I don't chose I use both just depending on what I need at the time.

Still testing, testing is a never ending process

Outside of family and friends was a small festival I made booth cost I was impressed

To many of those to list just one

Don't!

Be who you are. I am serious there you will have your own experiences and creative ideas which will shape you as a crafter. But if you want one piece of advice mine would be never think you know everything about this craft because you do not I learn every day something new.

Have been making candles probably longer than Vicky has been out of high school so while I don't consider myself an expert I am old :grin2: and have a lot of experience :) I check in here when I can but running a shop,making my candles etc. keeps me pretty busy but I do try to help when I can because many helped me when I started.

My main focus is on containers ... just easier and take less time for me.

First started selling molded candles way back when, then when gels became available sold them and then soy because,again easier for me and good sellers.

As Vicky says, you are never done testing. Each new container, fo etc. needs to be tested.

My first experience selling...and I figure you are asking about selling my candles, was at a large vendor show back in 1991 or so give or take a year or two..remember I am old and the mind isn't as sharp as it used to be :embarasse.

My biggest nightmare was a box of CBL-141 that I use for making muffins and that was would not hold scent no matter what I did...and I made 122 muffins before I finally realized I had a dud:mad: It was my last box before the one show a year I do now and my muffins always sold out and paid for everything, sigh. I still have nightmares about it LOL.

Again, Vicky gave THE BEST answer to "how to be just like you". You want to be yourself and find YOUR center. Find your wax,fo,wick,container choice, whether you want to sell wholesale,from home, craft shows or have a shop. (although I do have a lot of warnings about having your own shop, it works for me because of my unique circumstances).

I think the very best advice I could give to anyone would be to focus. Don't fly all over the place at first, pick one or two things and do them the best you can. Spend your money wisely....just because you see someone else doing something or buying 200 FO's doesn't mean you have to do it too. If you are serious about this as a business I repeat: spend your money wisely.

Plan, plan and focus, once you start making money you can then add, experiment etc. Focus on making the best candle you can.

Experts??? :laugh2:

I'm no expert, but here goes:

How long have you been making candles and what type do you do?

Two years, played around with pillars at first, but now focus on containers.

Easier to measure, easier to clean up test jars, less black soot thrown when burning

Testing process never ends, but prior to my first sales, I tested for three months.

Sold to mrs. geek's former and current coworkers after I gave them candles as gifts.

A customer gave me feedback that her candle I sold her was getting too hot, the glass was too hot to touch, and she worried her child might touch it and burn her hands. I retested with different wicking and replaced the candle with one that was much cooler to the touch.

• Be patient.
  • Don't let anyone talk you into selling before you are ready, and have total confidence in the quality of your candles prior to selling.
  • Make sure your candle making area is warm, and has good circulation.
  • Drink a little.
  • Buy a good candle making kit to see if you really like it, then buy sample sizes of wicks/FO/Wax for initial testing and playing around. Candlemaking can be an expensive hobby, but if you are smart and don't get too obsessed, you can keep your costs down.

geek :grin2:

:highfive: OK, now you're talking. :laugh2:

How long have you been making candles and what type do you do?(container, pittar, etc) Mostly containers. Have dabbled with soy votives too. Poured my first candles when I was a young teenager (about 13 years old or so). Only been working with soy for a few years though.

Why did you choose soy over parafin? I actually do both. :)

How long was your testing process? Several months, but I am still learning.

What was your first experience selling? To friends and at a small rural farmer's market.

What was your biggest "nightmare" with candle making? Testing my brains out and figuring I had the wicking down cold, only to find out they burn differently in colder temps. That one bit the dust big time. LOL

What is your best advice for those of us who want to be just like you??? Trust me, NOBODY wants to be like me. LOL But to succeed at this, you've got to do a LOT of research/reading, testing, and persevering. You've got to work your butt off and hang tough when the going gets rough, sticking with it for the long haul. There will be hard times, but stick with it. That's my advice. Keep learning too.

"How long you have been making candles and what type do you do" Ive making candles on and off for over 15 years; soy candles over 2 years. I mostly do containers, but i can pillars and votives and some molded shapes also.

"Why soy over paraffin?" I liked that soy burned with less soot, and liked the idea of a more natural candle.

"How long was your testing process?" Formally, it was a year. But testing is always an ongoing process in candlemaking.

"What was your first experience selling?" Family and friends, of course. But, also my local bank tellers were huge customers. I also put an ad in the local community paper, and another ad on our local community message board and got quite a few sales that way. A bit later, I got an Etsy shop.

"What is your biggest nightmare in candlemaking?" Keeping supply costs low. I always want to buy everything and that just KILLS my profits!

"What is your best advice for those that want to be like you?" ALWAYS, be yourself! You dont want a product JUST like everybody elses. Be unique and creative!

I have been making candles for 30 years. I use a soy/parrifin blend, because I feel that it gives the best of each kind. It is a one pour, and from a labor stand point it saves time. For me testing is ongoing, and nothing gets sold until I am confident that it is a product that I would be happy buying. My first sale was at a craft show, which I no longer do because in my area they just don't bring in enough money, and are not worth the time and labor put into them. My biggest nightmare was using a wax to make my own blend, and right before the start of the holiday season, the manufacturer change their formula for that wax. Fortunately, I had just enough in stock to see me through, and then start testing a new wax. My advise would be to be sure of your product. Don't rush to sell, just to be selling. A customer will only buy a poor product once, and they will remember how bad it was forever.

3 years - continaer, pillar, votive, tarts/melts

Why did you choose soy over parafin? A soy candle making kit was the first candle making kit i came across and just stuck with it.

still testing. i change jars and fragrances often and need to continue to test test test which size wick will give the best burn. i have also changed the brand of wick i use about three times, so i have to start testing all over again when i do that.

What was your first experience selling? to a co-worker at my job. she saw some ones i had sitting on my desk and was amazed at how strong the cold throw was and requested if i could fill up some old candle jars she had saved. i learned my lesson not to fill up old jars.

What was your biggest "nightmare" with candle making? Choosing supplys and supply companies

What is your best advice for those of us who want to be just like you??? Choose the wax and jar supply company closest to you and make the wax work for you with lots of testing. you will make it work eventually and save lots of money buying these items closest to home.

How long have you been making candles and what type do you do?

second generation chandler here, but by no means would i call myself an expert as i am always learning new techniques, and new waxes are allways being formulated. i grew up watching my mother make candles, learned a few basics, but never seriously started until 97... so i guess this is my 10 year anniversary,lol! i make votives, tarts, containers, pillars...tried tapers and hurricanes

i didn't, but the majority of my customer base did, so i carry soy blend in containers and tarts and the rest are still paraffin

i took a good year of researching, reading books, and testing before i officially sold anything, but you are always testing

my first sales were actually to some friends and my family, who in turn spread the word. i can't thank them enough

my biggest nightmare was having a bottle of teal liquid dye blow it's dropper because i squeezed too hard, and i had dye spatter all over my kitchen! i was still finding green spots months later

take your time, test thoroughly, don't hesitate to ask questions and remember..."experience is the name everyone gives their mistakes."

OK, here's the total years experience so far......

Vicky CO- 7 yrs, Twocentsworth- guessing 15+ yrs (only because she said she's old), Geek Runner- 2 yrs, Crafty1- Guessing 10+ yrs, Naxarx8- 15+ yrs, Misty- 30 yrs, Carriegsxr6- 3yrs, Laura- 10 yrs(second gen)

So far, we have approximatly 92 years combined experience and alot of great advice.

Any one else want to add their experience?????????