Square pillar wicking?

Hi, I'm stumped as to how a 3" or 4" square pillar should burn. Truthfully, I've never bought one! I made one & burned it, but corners sorta stayed upright. Didn't really turn in like a round one. Should I try another wick size? I used a #3 square braid. Would love to hear some feed back! Appreciate it.:rolleyes2

Yeah, my corners always kind of stay there....eventually they'll bend over and melt some, but it's better to have the corners than to wick too high and have it blow out the sides (which I've done too many times).

I make them so that they have a perfect circle in the middle...where the melt pool isn't busting off on either side. I use the same wick that I use in the 3" round pillars.

DanaE

I looked on peakcandle.com and I went to where they have molds and clicked on the size needed for this square 3x3 and it says to use 24 ply flat braid or #1 square Braid. Now I did the 24 ply flat and I had a nice melt pool but still have the corners,,,Im going to try the #1 square Braid to see,,I am at a loss with this Mold and I am getting frustrated real fast!!:confused: Im glad you guys started this thread:)

I am at a loss with this Mold and I am getting frustrated real fast!!:confused: Im glad you guys started this thread:)

I've been testing these squares for a few weeks now and about to pull my hair out! I am glad to have found this thread too! Thank you Dee for posting the picture......... mine looked like that but I thought they had to burn all the way out, so I kept putting bigger wicks in and they were blowing out on the sides!

Dang did I have it right and didn't know it? lol:yay:

I've always been really unsure as to how a pillar is supposed to burn. I know in a container candle, the melt pool is supposed to go all the way to the edge of the container but with a pillar, do you leave a shell? do you let it burn all the way to the sides? If you leave a shell, how much? So many questions! I do like Dee's tester tho, how it tunneles down and leaves the shell in tact. I just got some CD wicks yesterday that Im going to test in my 4" pillars, I'll post how they turn out.

I have only given the square ones away to my sister. She has a tart melter so she cuts up the leftover wax and uses it up in the melter.

Had someone else do this with votives:rolleyes2 I sold them. Not sure why they didn't just buy melts.