There is a first time for everything!

cybersix

Maybe she had you confused with someone else..?

Just a thought...Perhaps you should politely know her know you appreciate her interest and that a customer can get a free sample with each order when requested. Then throw in a tealight candle with one of your new scents or something along the line of what they are already ordering. A local flower shop that sells candles sets out tealights (1 per person) to sample one of their new scents each month. I love that!! Come on...everyone loves getting some freebees! Thats what keeps me going back to certain suppliers!

If the person is just contacting you for free samples without ordering.....ignore her or email her back with the "I don't give out free samples spiel". I always put a votive or 2 in a customer's order, but the spammers just looking for anything free I totally ignore. Let them walk into any store and see if they will give a free sample before buying.......I don't think so!! :cool2:

:grin2:

She asked for a free candle before buying.

I always include free tarts in my customers orders, but I don't give free candles.

I know it's hard for customers to know and compare scents (here in italy many of the scents I'm offering dont' exist) that's why I suggest to order some tarts, to start "small" without spending a lot of money for candles and shipping.

People should understand that I can't give free candles in the same way a shpo will ask you money to take away the candle you chose.

And the worst is that I clearly state that are handmade, people don't understanf what's the meaning of this.

The lady told me she used to buy a certain brand (a french brand I don't know) and asked me if my candles are good. Go and buy one, to test yourself. I have to do so with EVERYTHING I want to try, and I bet you all do so!

I answered in the most kindly way I could, but I think that if I lost this customer it's not a so bad thing!

Thanks for your opinions!

I agree with you. The site is awesome. I can understand some of it but the pop-ups are crazy---can be frustrating.

I went to your site, very nice even though I didn't understand very much of it, but is there a way for you to get rid of those pop-ups and pop-behinds? I think I had 3 pop-ups. Doesn't make for easy browsing.

Yup, that's the problem. I originally viewed the website at work where there is no pop-up blocker, however I checked again at home where we do have a blocker and no pop-ups.

The issue of getting rid of those still remains, not everyone has pop-up blockers and because of it you could lose some customers. Of course, it's your choice, but if it were me I'd lose them because that's how much I hate them. :)

Kelly, I agree with you, but pop ups are not mine!!!!!!!!! I didn't put anything on the site besides my pics and writings.

Can you tell me what's the content of those pop ups? Are they ads?

I have a googlle ads campaign going on, but it's not for displaying ads on my site, it's for my site to appear on other sites!!

Sabrina, I didn't get any pop-ups when I visited your site. But then I do have a pop-up blocker which blocks most of them. I like how you've provided details like each candle's dimensions. Very thorough and makes it easy to shop as the customer would know exactly what they're getting.

Sabrina, the company you host your website with probably adds the pop-ups. Check with your hosting company.

agreed, its your web hosting company that is making the pop ups appear. you shouldnt be getting pop ups period, even if your blocker is on, they just shouldnt be happening. I would switch hosts asap. The only reason a web hosting company would have the right to add pop ups is if they are giving you Free hosting.

other than that, I love your site, i love the different categories you have the scents broken up in.

If the person is just contacting you for free samples without ordering.....ignore her or email her back with the "I don't give out free samples spiel". I always put a votive or 2 in a customer's order, but the spammers just looking for anything free I totally ignore. Let them walk into any store and see if they will give a free sample before buying.......I don't think so!! :cool2:

Yup. I would just ignore the email.

I had one "lady" send me the same form letter three times in the space of two weeks. She even asked me for free samples of specific things I don't even carry.

Sabrina, the company you host your website with probably adds the pop-ups. Check with your hosting company.

Jennifer, I borwsed the site with the pop up blocker turned off and couldn't see any pop ups opening.

I will send the host an email, they never told about pop ups ads.

agreed, its your web hosting company that is making the pop ups appear. you shouldnt be getting pop ups period, even if your blocker is on, they just shouldnt be happening. I would switch hosts asap. The only reason a web hosting company would have the right to add pop ups is if they are giving you Free hosting.

other than that, I love your site, i love the different categories you have the scents broken up in.

Thanks Carrie. it's not a free hosting, it's very cheap, but no one told me about ads.

The problem is that I paid one year hosting, so if I change now I will lose the money for six months (I started in may-june).

Thanks for your words about my site!

Sabrina, I didn't get any pop-ups when I visited your site. But then I do have a pop-up blocker which blocks most of them. I like how you've provided details like each candle's dimensions. Very thorough and makes it easy to shop as the customer would know exactly what they're getting.

Hi sudnswicks!

Thak you! I spent a lot of time providing details and believe, it doesn't matter, everyone just looks at the price.

Then stops browsings. I know it because I track the visits on the site. When a vistor hits thepage withe the prices you can bet he's about to leave the site. :D

people look for "high quality candles" then should know that quality has a price!

Yup. I would just ignore the email.

I had one "lady" send me the same form letter three times in the space of two weeks. She even asked me for free samples of specific things I don't even carry.

I answered, but obviously she never answered back!

If she wants a free candle (votive) than just add your shipping and handling costs. Let's say it costs $1.00 for a votive and your reg. postage is $1.50 pad the price and round up to charge her $4-$5. Let her know the packaging costs are done by an outside company and you have to pay them.. Than she might be willing to pay you and still think she is getting something for nothing and you aren't out anything. :wink2:

Good idea, but I don't make votives, only pillars!!

Setting up a good pillar (because it has to be good) it's not a five minutes work.

And I don't think I have to give always what people ask, would you ever write to a company and ask something free to try?

I never did.

Today I got the second request for "free candles to try".

What's happening?

I don't know. I suggested this lady also to try some tarts, cheap and light weight to ship.

Come on, no one gets ruined because spends 10 dollars on a candle!

If it does turn out that your hosting package comes with pop-ups, instead of switching to another provider and losing 6 months deposit, you could look into upgrading to a better plan with the same company. If it's only $1 or $2 extra a month, it would be worth it to get rid of those pesky pop-ups.

As for getting another request for free samples, this means your site is getting more visitors and more people learning about you! If I were you, I would either have something on the site saying free samples are provided with purchase only or compose a standard email response explaining this, or you could even do both.

Hi sudnswicks!

Thak you! I spent a lot of time providing details and believe, it doesn't matter, everyone just looks at the price.

Then stops browsings. I know it because I track the visits on the site. When a vistor hits thepage withe the prices you can bet he's about to leave the site. :D

people look for "high quality candles" then should know that quality has a price!

I know what you mean. People see the high price and they're scared off. Since I don't read Italian, I'm not sure if you already have this on your site, but if you don't, you could consider adding the number of hours it lasts in your chart. When they see that it will last for so many hours, maybe only then will they realize they're getting good value for their money.

I know what you mean. People see the high price and they're scared off. Since I don't read Italian, I'm not sure if you already have this on your site, but if you don't, you could consider adding the number of hours it lasts in your chart. When they see that it will last for so many hours, maybe only then will they realize they're getting good value for their money.

Hi, first of all: I have a no ads plan with my hosting company. So I was wondering if the internet it's infested by random pop ups??

I never saw one on my site.

As for the burning time of the candles.. I'm not sure it's a good thing. People burn candles in several and differnt ways... sometimes they burn candles in a worng way.

If my pillar lats 50 hours (burned properly) but someone lit it with a long wick and burns lie a torch it will last less. So the customer would think I'm telling lies, and never come back. Or worst, ask for a refund.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for suggestion anyway!