Mushrooming

I'm going to try and wick down. Right now I'm getting a decent pool.

As far as the FO, I use 1 oz/lb. Have been told I could go up to 1-1/2 oz/lb, however, at 1 oz I always got a good scent throw and no burning problems.

This is my first time working w/the 4630. Have always used the J50 in the past.

Thank you,

Wendy

Mushrooming is also a natural characteristic of some wicks (zinc) for instance. Mushrooming can be caused from heavy FO's but even though the wick mushrooms it does not necessarily mean the candle has too much FO because It is also cause from carbon build up on the wick. We use zinc wicks in our candles so it would be considered acceptable for this type of wicking. :D

It's all personal preference if it's acceptable to customers. Since the wick needs to be trimmed after a burn anyway, I'd think the mushrooming would be just a reminder to them to trim it. But some people think they're ugly and won't use a wick that mushrooms. If you don't mind the mushroom and like the way it burns, keep them. If not, try another type of wick. It's all your choice! JMO

The 4630 is really a difficult wax to properly wick. I used it and I swear I could not get a wick that did not cause the candle to soot like crazy. The last batch of wax I used was the 4630 and I make my candles in 16 oz mason jars which are 3 at the mouth and 4 at the base and with that I use the CD 14's. I know some people love this stuff but I hate it and I will never use it again!!!!

As for your wicks......I did not know they made a CD 7? What size is that? The 6's are 2 to 2.5 and the 8's are 2.5 to 3.

I am guessing since you are using CD 8's that your container is fairly small at the top? I did not know if you knew but when you get to the widest part this wick is not going to give you a full mp. It is too small for the widest part. You should be using a CD 14 or 16 for that. Although that probably will burn really hot for you at the smallest part and smoke or soot like crazy. It just depends on what you want out of that container.....to burn great at the top or at the bottom.

Does this makes sense because I cannot seem to write what I am trying to say.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I am double wicking these containers. The package reads 2-3" for CD7s. I came to the conclusion that the CD8s are just too big. I am going to try the CD6s and see how they do.

The containers are round, i.e., 3-1/2" mouth, 4-1/2 middle and 2-3/4 bottom.

I mainly do pillars and not a whole lot of containers. So I am still learning. Especially with this wax. I just ran out of the J50 and my local supplier now only carries the 4630 so that is what I have to work with.

In the past I haven't had much luck using a single wick in containers. I never seemed to get a full melt pool no matter how large of a wick I put in. I do have CD10, CD12, CD14s.

These are not sooting just mushrooming. I am getting a good scent throw. Today they have reached the middle and still got a good pool of wax.

Thanks,

Wendy

Supposedly mushrooms are carbon buildup from unburned fuel..fo.wax oils.. .etc.

Here's a couple of links that tell a bit about them:

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/burn_issues.php

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/combustion_drawings.php

But just because I read these pages, it doesn't mean I don't still get some mushrooms...:grin2:

I've been testing loads of wicks, not used any fo and on some of my candles the smaller wick size mushrooms and the bigger wick size doesn't!!! Other times it's the opposite for like the same candle, second/third burn etc. So to be honest i think it can sometimes be one of those things u just have to live with. I supposed it can be reduced by testing etc but i think it depends on so many variables you'll never always get it quite right!!!! LOL

Wendy~Ok, now that I know you are double wicking I am no longer confused. I did not understand why you were using such a small wick for that size container. From what I have learned with this wax is you have to work with it enough to know what will work and what will not and to be honest with you, I did not have the patience! Have you tried single wicking with a 12? Just curious to see if that solves your problems.

I wish you luck with it. I am sorry that I cannot be a bigger help.