When to add Fo

Anna

I have been making container candles for three years,and have been doing it the same way,such as melting my wax to a certain temp(190),adding the fo at a certain temp(190),pouring at certain temp(150).Tonite I was reading on Nature Garden site,and they are saying not to add your Fo until you are ready to pour,which they recomend to pour at 150.They said if you add at to hot of temp,you Fo evaporates. I would like some feedback as to when you guys add the Fo? Thanks

I followed NG's directions for their soy wax to the tee, and after reading some notes on here (regarding oils blending better at a slightly higher temp) I've refined my style.

The suggest to heat to 175, which seemed to ALWAYS happen right as the last few clumps of flakes were dissolved. So, now I pretty much just watch for that... Then, they suggested to drop the temp to 150 for FO, but after hearing so many people adding FO higher, I ended up just melting, coloring, and then add FO in that order, as soon as it comes off the double boiler. Everything's been working fine, and to be honest, the last few batches I've made haven't been touched by a thermometer.. and they've all turned out great!

I bet that'll all change as this wacky winter weather really kicks in, though ;)

I use J223 wax and add fo at 180, cool to 150 and pour. If your method seems to be working, I wouldn't change a thing. the longer the wax is heated, the possiblity of fo evaporating; once i reach 180, i remove wax from heat, add fo and watch the temp:) then pour at 150.

FO sitting or being mixed into wax for a few minutes isn't going to cause the scent to burn off or evaporate at a rate that's noticeably going to affect the throw of the end product. The reason you use FOs that are made for candle making is because they're formulated to withstand the heat. Some FOs need to be added at a higher temp for the wax to absorb them.