Need black candles

Hi everyone - new to the board, and new to trying to get a black votive candle! I'm using Astor V and Peaks black liquid dye, and the closest thing I get to black is gunmetal gray! I put 50 drops of black dye into 3 lbs of wax. Don't know if that's too much color - I'll have to see if they burn okay. Any suggestions? I also want a black container candle and I use J223. Before I start messin' with that I'd thought I'd post and ask for help!!!

Thanks, and I enjoy the board! You are all terrific!

Catarina

This is what I do....but it won't work for everyone. I make black cat candles and they weren't getting black, but purple grey.......soooooooo I started using powder dye and steric. Now I get very black wax....however, you would need to experiment because I use a lot of powder because I know that people aren't going to burn the candles (unless in case of a power outage and they don't have anything else LOL) . All of the powder I am sure will plug up a wick, but with careful experimenting, you should get what you want and I am sure that there are people on this board that have other ways.....like Ange. Good luck, Donita

http://www.barnloftcandles.com/soy_dyes.html

Try here. I haven't used it but I would if I needed more dyes. I'm sure she will answer any questions you may have.

Janet

The only difference between these dyes and the ones she's already using is that they're dissolved in a different base. The dye itself is the same, so I don't think buying a different product is going to address the problem.

I just made some black candles tonight with J50 which is similar to J223. I have read in the past that 7 drops per oz is okay so that is what I went with and always do to get a deep black of course you will have to test them because you will probably need to wick up using that much dye which is what I do Good luck

http://www.barnloftcandles.com/soy_dyes.html

Try here. I haven't used it but I would if I needed more dyes. I'm sure she will answer any questions you may have.

Janet

I have used this black and you do get a BLACK that is true and doesn't clog your wick. You need to measure and follow the directions closely, but the results will amaze you. In my soy/paraffin wax I have no problems with dark colors now!!! :yay: Daphne is great help with any questions also!!

If it matters, using 1343 and the flake dye type called "pitch black" you'll get a pure black BLACK. The melt pool looks like oil sludge. I didn't have to wick up, but was getting some small deposits on the wick (like you would get when burning BW), which with normal trimming after each burn didn't hinder the flame - if fact, it burned really well actually.