Craft fair physical support

Crowded House

For those who do craft shows, what sort of physical support do you have?

I did a show today and it was a pretty positive experience except it was a logistics nightmare. My husband works nights so he had to take last night off so he could watch the kids today.

I hauled in a couple dozen boxes by hand (each weighing 20-30# plus) from the parking lot while the husband watched the kids (aged 1 and 2), set up by myself, sat/sold for 7 hours by myself (my husband did bring the kids up for 20 minutes at noon so I could take a break), then hauled the remainder back out to the husband-and-kids-occupied car after that.

Like I said it was a pretty positive experience but I. Am. Exhausted. I used to have more friends and family helping me but not this year.

Anybody else have very little physical support when they do craft shows? What do you do so you can walk around, take a break, use the potty? Do you ever leave your booth unattended?

At 95% of my craft shows I'm alone without anyone helping to set-up, tend to the booth and tear down. I have a few shows a year that I do with a friend right next to me but I still have to set up and tear down my own stuff. I find that vendors are really cool about watching your booth for a little while (especially if it's slow) while you run for food or a potty break, especially if they are on their own too. All you usually have to do is ask - and half the time they ask you first. :)

Good luck!

Life & Light!

Tish

I get help from my mom, hubby and daughter-in-law and son. Once in a while I will have one of my sales reps. help. But for the most part I really love doing it by myself. I am a very motivated and love to sell my products but three day events are a killer. By the last day I am worn out. It does get easier with each show, so don't get discouraged. Keep it simple.

I have a friend who helps me out. She makes jewelry so I let her put some out in exchange for a hand.

I also spent $23 at Home Depot and got a hand dolly to haul my boxes in, they also have a canvas bag there (it was on clearance $5 near the front of the store) that is absolutely huge--about 2 feet wide and about 2 feet tall that I got a couple of and I stack all the baskets I keep clamshells and sachets in those so they are easy to pack up and carry in and out.

I've had help loading and unloading at the craft fairs I've attended, but sometimes I'm working my booth alone. I have found that if it is a fair at, for instance, a high school, the organization the fair is benefiting usually has the high school kids helping, and they can man your booth for you if you need to take a potty break. And like it has been said earlier, other vendors are usually very helpful and will watch your booth for you if you need a quick break.

DH started out helping me, but now I do it all alone. At least in the winter I don't have to put up the tent by myself. I've got 3 tables, 4 cardboard boxes w/ all the table fixtures & a few misc candles, 4 plastic tubs that are 30#s each of product, chair, 2 folding tray tables, 4 table racks/shelves, one floor standing shelf..

I can do it in 1/2 hour if I hustle. Soaps are a little bit easier to move around than lots of candle jars.

I am always on my own at shows. Like the others, I find that other vendors are happy to watch my booth for a potty break, and I do the same for them (we always wait till its a bit slow). I always have all my food and bevies with me. Shows are hard work. But don't forget work is a four letter word:laugh2:

Janette

You know, I'm exhausted from being on my feet most of the day too. I want to buy or invent some kind of vibrating shoes (I kid you not lol!) Usually other vendors are pretty good about helping out. Dollies are fabo! Some shows even come complete with volunteer help.

Guest EMercier

At first I did a lot by myself. Luckily now, my BF helps me set up and take down. I've also mimized my stuff and have a system for everything. I have been fortunate to meet people near me that watch the booth and when it's slow I take the opportunity to use the bathroom and get some food if I didn't pack anything. A few shows (2) I go to have runners to help with your stuff and to watch your booth if you need to use the bathroom. They will also get some food for you if you want it as well.

I have help maybe 50% of the time at shows; the other 50% I am on my own. My solution was this:

I got 4 of those rolling travel bags (big ones) which have the retractable handle. I bought 1 new at Ross for $20, 2 at thrift stores ($5 each) and I had one already, so the cost was minimal. I pack these things very tight and they are a godsend. I can whip them in and out of the car in no time.

I have a "kit" of stuff that always comes with me (bag of scissors, tape, pens, labels, aspirin) that stays in the car all the time. When I do a show, this bag is unloaded first.

For whatever reason, most of my shows provide tables, so fortunately I don't lug those around. If I have to, I have several folding tables that fit in the car, but I avoid using them.

I'm lucky because my hubby and kids help me. It's a family affair. Lots of times, I am at one show while hubby is across town doing a show. We try to help each other at least set up but often times, we are on our own for take down. We each take a kid with us for help when we do separate shows. I'd suggest investing in a dolly to help with those heavier items. I also bought some heavy duty plastic containers with a handle on one side and wheels on the opposite side so I can roll it along. They are still heavy as can be since they are full of candles but it does help.

It is alot of work so I commend anyone that does it on their own. I'm not sure that I could do as much as I do if I was by myself.

I know that tired feeling. I'm solo at all my shows too. Definitely get a hand dolly. I pack my inventory in the large rubber maid tubs and crates. Very easy to stack on the dolly. Take my potty breaks during slow times and a neighboring crafters covers for me and I do the same for them. Loading the car up the night before helps. As you do more shows you'll get a system to streamline the process. Good Luck on your next show.

You know, I'm exhausted from being on my feet most of the day too. I want to buy or invent some kind of vibrating shoes (I kid you not lol!) Usually other vendors are pretty good about helping out. Dollies are fabo! Some shows even come complete with volunteer help.

Have you tried those rubber gardening clogs? I think they are called "crocs". They look ugly but are soooooo comfortable. I also put down a fatigue mat to stand on. Makes a huge difference to feet, legs and back.

Janette

Well, since my hubby built me these HUGE solid wooden shelves, he HAS to help me set up and tear down...there is no freaking way I could move those alone. Everything else I can handle. We have a dolly (can stack maybe seven cases of candles at a time?) and then my hubby also bought a gardening cart... http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=129180-52314-129180&lpage=none We use it to carry the tables and my check out booth and it comes in handy to carry a lot of other stuff...tables, candles, risers, etc.

As for the show itself...it is usually just me. I usually buddy up with the vendor next to me and snag a couple of potty breaks. I bring food and snacks, but usually end up not eating anyway.

My son is 11 and a big help when he goes.. usually 2 day shows. He gets out of school early and I get some help with the loading/unloading. He is also quite the sales man, the crowds love him. But, there are a few that I do alone and the other vendors are usually very good about watching the booth as I watch theirs. I bring a cooler and some snacks, just need to leave for the bathroom. Either way I am tired when it is done...

I too depending on the show usually my mom goes or my sister. I keep my candles in Tubs but that is heaving have tubs of cases of candles. I found 2 carts at a home store and it happened to have a coupon sale and got them both for $20. They are wonderful for caring that stuff. I am still so tired after a show just the getting ready and getting set up and tearing down and also just the mental. BUT I LOVE THE PEOPLE AND MY CANDLES AND SOAP so it makes it all worth it. I have mastered the tent thing so I can just whip it up no time.

Well since I'm not married and have no kids I do it alone 100% of the time! When I do have HIRED help, they don't help set up though sometimes they will help tear down a little although I do all of the hauling with a dolly alone. The show I did over the weekend I setup and tore down alone. There were people willing to help some but I never take it up because they always end up dropping a case of candles. I thank them but do all setup and tear downs alone.:undecided

I can get people to watch my booth for a moment while I run to the bathroom but I really try not to do that too often. I take a smoke break about every two hours or so.

Fire:cool2:

Yup! Do my shows all by myself. The hand dolly is a must! It carrys several boxes at a time so I always use it. Other venders at shows have always helped me with setting up my shelter tent and watched my booth so I could take potty breaks. I just lock up my cash box and hide it.

I either wear a pair of sneakers with good support or bring an extra pair of comfortable shoes to work in. The right pair of shoes makes a HUGE difference.

I also bring a small ice chest for cold sodas, milk, iced tea, etc. I also bring a sandwich, fruit, yogurt, snack, whatever so I have food for the day.

Yesterday at the show I did the vender next to me had some "ice cubies" from Walmart. I gotta try these! They are packets the size of ice cubes you put in your freezer. You can put them right in your drink to make it cold or put a bunch in your ice chest to keep your drinks cold. I like the idea of being able to reuse them so I am gonna check them out next time I hit Walmart.