frustrated, need ideas & encouragement

gmp

Sorry in advance for the long post. I need some help and encouragement.

I am new to candlemaking (one month). Thought it would be fun to include handmade candles in some gift baskets I am doing for christmas. I chose to do 12 oz ball mason jars and followed instructions from manufacterer (using IGI 4786 wax, 51 zinc wick) by adding one dye chip and one ounce fo pp. I thought this would be pretty standard/straight forward. I know I am new and didn't want to do anything too challenging.

I let two candles cure 48 hours and burned them. They were under-colored and under-scented. I tried another candle. I used 3 dye chips and 1.5 ounces fo pp. The color turned purple (not red as I wanted) and had a great cold throw, no hot throw at all. The wick has massive mushrooming.

I also am having trouble getting the wick to be truly centered. I hot glued the wick tab, and drilled a hole thru the center of the lid. And I used a chip clip as well. I think on this one I just need to tweak my technique.

My real issue is the recipe: proportion of wax, dye, fo. I did speak with a rep from Bitter Creek and she said "it takes time to get it right". While I agree with this, I thought the "one chip-one ounce-pp" should have yielded better results. I also thought I was using the right wax and wick.

I know I'm a newbie and still learning. Lots of money down the tubes. Trying to keep my frustration in check. TIA for any thoughts.

I know with many waxes, using 1 chip per lb isn't enough. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but you'll have to experiment in order to get the correct formula down. When you are making candles, it's important to take notes as to what you are doing. That way, if the candle you just created is perfect, you'll have the recipe written down. When trying to perfect a color, I keep a white paper plate handy. I add my color chips to my wax and stir it well so everything dissolves. Then I take some drops of wax and put them on the plate and let them dry. It only takes a minute or two to do. It gives you a prettty good idea as to what your candle color will be.

What temps are you pouring at with this wax and are you making sure you are stirring well?

THanks so much for all these comments.

To answer, I am using a container wax called IGI 4786, which is "supposedly" a popular choice.

I heat to 180, then pour around 160. I do make an effort to stir thouroughly and check to see that everything is mixing okay.

The colors/scents I am using are: Northwoods Christmas (Christmas Green chips) and Christmas Cheer (Burgandy chips). I probably should have started with vanilla, which is not so strong in color and fo.

I live in Loudoun County, Va.

PrestoPot, thanks for your suggestions.

I do know that I need to practice some more. If anyone is willing to share their "recipe" with me for a vanilla or winter bakery spice (like home sweet home, caramel pecan, etc) or the two I mentioned above I would be very grateful. I completely understand if you sell candles and cannot do this.

I'm definitely learning as I go! I guess I thought a candle recipe was like a recipe for baking. Follow the recipe exactly. I also thought that the manufactorer's instructions would work better on the first/second try. I just hope I can have some success for my Christmas gift baskets.

I am a SAHM of four young ones, and no hobbies (not good!) until now. I really enjoy making candles but am disappointed with my test results so far.

TIA...

Thanks so much.

I feel like I've committed to this project and don't want to fail/quit, so thanks for the tips and support!

I have just ordered some vanilla fo/dye from Bitter Creek. Hopefully that will work out.

Now, onto figuring out how to make firestarters with all that bum test wax lol! :wink2:

Have a great day, everyone...

So much depends of the quality of your FO. Not all FO's are created equal! Look in the "Fragrance Discussion" area of the board for opinions on the best suppliers.

I consider it a waste if I have to add more than an ounce of FO to my wax. I do it with some scents, but not with many! I have some that I only add 1/2 oz. To test for color, drop a few drops of wax it on a white tile, or plate, or even a piece of wax paper before pouring. That way you can add more dye if necessary. As mentioned before...Take notes so you will know next time how much FO or dye you added!

Thanks to everyone for your responses. It has been very helpful!

I have a mystery on my hands with the candle that I added 3 burgandy dye chips and 1.5 ounces christmas cheer fo.

As a reminder, the cold throw is great; the hot throw was an awful waxy smell. I'm using IGI 4786 and 51 zinc wick. This evening, I took some extra wax from this lot, melted it down, and poured it into my tart warmer. After it cooled, I put it in the bathroom, lit the tea light, and closed the door. 10 min. later, the bathroom was VERY fragrant. I moved the tart warmer to the family room and most of the first floor was very fragrant as well.

Then, I lit the candle in the bathroom and closed the door. 10 minutes later, I had a waxy, awful smell again.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the wick? :confused:

It could be the wick or FO. I had some FO's that had little to no scent in my container but when used as a tart they smelled awesome.

Just order a sample pack of wicks to test in your container and that are compatible with your wax and test them.

I haven't a clue on what they might be because I don't make paraffin candles.

It might be an easy solution as wicking down or it might be that the FO isn't compatible with your wick wax combo.

Good Luck,

Mindy :)

I use the 4786 wax and it is really a very good wax for containers. I usually use about 1&1/4 oz fo and heat to about 185 or so and pour between 180-185 and have good results. Tried pouring cooler just to see but didn't like results. It just takes testing and developing your own special technique because often what works for one doesn't work for another. hth

Guest amynleebishop
Thanks so much.

I feel like I've committed to this project and don't want to fail/quit, so thanks for the tips and support!

I have just ordered some vanilla fo/dye from Bitter Creek. Hopefully that will work out.

Now, onto figuring out how to make firestarters with all that bum test wax lol! :wink2:

Have a great day, everyone...

You are truly right, this is a slow learning process. It takes time to tweak it just right to where you are happy with the end result. It sounds like you are on the right track! I do not know anything about the wax you are using but I have used IGI 4630 and I have to say that I do not like it. I have the best results with only two wax's and they are 1275 from C&S and J50. As someone else said here you will not have the same results with all fo's! They are definatley not created equal. I have some that I only have to add 1 oz pp and then there is my hot baked apple that I love and I add 1.5 b/c I know my wax can hold up to 10%. As far as the chips, I use the blocks of wax again from C&S and that gives me better control over my colors. Plus they last longer (I think) than the dyes. (just my opp.)

Keep it up and DONT give up, b/c it is truly theraputic and it feels sooooo good when someone says "I wont buy any other candles but yours".

Hang in there.

I use 4786. I love this wax. Are your heating you jars. As far as color goes, it takes some time to devleope how much you need to create the color you want. Aside from no hot throw, what is the burn like? 1 oz ppp usually works for me, I use mostly Peak's fo's, and Natures Garden. I get a few here and there from other suppliers. You might try liquid dyes. And even with them you usually have to add more for the darker colors than the manufactuer recommends. The only thing I can think of with the waxy smell is the fo is sitting on the bottom of the jar. I heat this wax to 200 add fo at 175 stir stir stir. I also stir in between pours. Are you getting a lot of soot, are you getting a full melt pool. The mason's kind of close at the top, where my apoths are open. Are you doing a repour? I can't see wickig up with zincs in that size jar but maybe you need to. Try a 60 z and time how long it takes to get a full melt pool, and how deep. Zincs will mushroom. I personally use them, and like them. I think that color has been a big challenge for me also. I tend to use a lot more than the recommended amount for the darker colors. Good Luck.

These are all good things to think about. I will tweak my recipe and try to make another candle tonight. (Hubby is traveling on business and I like to work at night).

In the meantime my tart warmer smells really good!

Thanks so much to all! ;)

Hey GMP! Well I am sorry to say but you are a "statistic". Every year around this time, we get an abundance of peeps who just started, and are wanting to have "home-made" candles to give as Xmas presents. They think it is as simple as it looks. Hey a wick in some wax, in a jar and TONS of fragrance!! Yippie!

NOT....

Don't we all wish it were so easy. But hey keep your chin up. You seem like you really want to crack this. And you will. Maybe not in time for Xmas presents this year, but you will get it. Make sure you test test test, and test some more. Remember these are for your friends and family, so you wan them to be enjoyable and most improtantly safe. Get yourself a sample pack of wicks, and go from there. Wick up or down until you find what works. You may go through 10 different waxes before getting what you want, but keep at it , and you will get it. HTH:D

It would be very surprising if you were able to get this right before Christmas......some struggle for many months before getting it right.

It's amazing how many think all they have to do is melt wax, add FO and color, wick it and forget it LOL, you now know why experienced chandlers

tell "newbies" to test, test, test and re-test. You also need to burn your tester all the way down, test each scent and color combination.

BUT you said your tart smelled great so might I suggest you add a tealite melter and melts to your basket instead of candles? This will save you a lot of time, money and aggravation....

Hi twocents, thanks for your suggestion. I like the idea. I put the candles on hold. I am going to make tarts with the two fragrances and give out in cello bags. I also am getting more wax and vanilla fo/dye and going to start over with candles. I think starting with vanilla will be easier, do you agree?

I use this wax and have had the same problem happen (the waxy smell). It has only happened with 3 out of 50 scents that I have tested over the years. I never did figure out what was wrong, just decided to move on to a new scent.

As for starting over with vanilla, I will say that this may turn out to be more of a problem. Most vanillas I have tested aren't very strong to begin with. I guess you'll just have to wait and see while testing. Good Luck!

gmp I would like to commend you on your positive attitude towards the helpful advice given to you by experienced chandlers in regard to testing.

So often new posters get extremely defensive when they are told to test their product before giving away or selling. A large Kudos to you! and by the way tarts will make wonderful Christmas presents.

gmp I would like to commend you on your positive attitude towards the helpful advice given to you by experienced chandlers in regard to testing.

Awww...thanks! ;)

But I should be commending you all. You've listened, encouraged, and been constructive as well...you've helped more than you know.

So often new posters get extremely defensive when they are told to test their product before giving away or selling. A large Kudos to you! and by the way tarts will make wonderful Christmas presents.

Well said, I agree completely.