Dyes do not melt!!!??? HELP PLEASE!! TEMP IS 240 using liquid dyes and paraffin wax

your not heating the wax hot enough for the dye to disolve. Heat up to at least 165-190 and dye will blend. Put a candy thermometer in the wax and just wait till it goes up in that area.

You are just starting out. So be patient and all good things will come.

I bought a candle making heating pot from hobby lobby and it is set at highest heat. Don't have thermometer to test and no heat temp indicator. The dyes are not disolving!

The dyes are Liguid from Something Fabulous Luquid Dyes. I am using paraffin wax and I had the temp control set at max whidh is suppose to be 240 degrees. Earlier answers were that my wax was not hot enough.

I am completely confused??!!

Hobby Lobby lists these dyes for candle making so I don't know what is wrong. When I add the dye it just sits at the bottom of the pot in little particles but never disolves.

Well one, don't scorch your wax at 240, but a thermometer would be able to make sure that it's really heating to that, not to mention that would be plenty hot, enough to cause some smoking and the higher the temps, the more likely to have a fire!

Second, get some dyes worth something. HL dyes aren't quality and definitely not cost effective IMO. Third, you could have pigments which I've seen some not dissolve very well, even with a liquid dye, I get some that settles at the bottom, but I still get color.

And some won't show their color till the wax cools -- i.e. the hot pink I use and the magenta both do this.

Could I not be adding enough dye? It is suppose to be concentrated and they say to use sparingly. Could the temp be to high and therefore cause problems. At the high setting the wax seems to have some boiling going on.

The wax has a melting point of 133-135 degrees.

Possible that you aren't adding enough, but extremely possible to expect a fire shortly at the temperature you've got the wax at. Hope you have baking soda on hand to snuff it.

Seriously, turn the temps down. Your wax doesn't need to be that hot unless you're playing outside in sand.

6 drops of color should be enough to see SOMETHING... sounds like you've got some crap dye. The dye I use is noticeable after one drop!

And if your wax is BOILING.. you've got it WAY too hot! You NEED to get yourself a candy thermometer...

Well I guess the only thing to do is check with the HobbyLobby.

I have twenty pounds of wax that I wanted to make Christmas Candle out of but it is late and I need some sleep.

Thanks to all for helping. If you think of something new please let me know.

Top, I was wondering if Ken had purchased candle pigments.

Wish we could see the package.

Ken, if there is an 800 number on package call them. I doubt the employees at HL have any idea how to use most of the HL products.

my 2¢ & good luck,

donna

Top, I was wondering if Ken had purchased candle pigments.
Pigments might settle out or clog the wick, but initially they'd seem to disperse just fine. I don't know squat about coloring soap, but I know HL sells separate products for soap and candles. That seems like a reasonable explanation.

I spoke to a dye manufacturer once and they said the kind of thing we use is called solvent dye. That makes sense. It dissolves completely in certain kinds of solvents, which is why our liquid colorants work so perfectly. It dissolves with more difficulty in wax, stearic and oils, which is why chips and blocks often leave speckles and why dye powder can be so hard to use. But still it mostly disperses.

If it's sitting on the bottom, it's just the wrong stuff entirely.

If you're using crap dyes from places such as Michaels, they will not dissolve completely.

I ran out of a color one time that I had to have and needed quickly and resorted to a color block from Michaels. Could not get it to disolve for the life of me.

Possible that you aren't adding enough, but extremely possible to expect a fire shortly at the temperature you've got the wax at. Hope you have baking soda on hand to snuff it.

Sorry, but I couldnt resist laughing at the way you put this! LMBO

Never heard of anyone letting thier wax get that hot:confused:

You are stirring it correct? 240 is way to hot, that could be dangerous. I am surprised they sell something that goes that hot. I use the double boiler method, and its very easy. You do need a thermoter, they are really cheap. You can get one at walmart. Good luck:)

Guest amynleebishop

Are you using soap dye to make your candles?? I went back and re-read all of the posts and I am still confused as to what type of color you are using.:confused: