what happened to 1343A

Lin

I have been waiting weeks to order this wax from peaks and i went to see if it was in yet and its dicontinued, What happened? Anyone know where i can get the A version close to NY? Im a little shocked as i thought this wax was the best so i started useing it and now its gone.Lin

Your kidding right? I was just going to order 1343A from Peaks here in a few days. I have been researching to high heaven on pillars...LOL....just my luck. Well I certainly would be willing to try what Alan comes up tho!
I'm sure he'll have a nice pillar blend or straight paraffin that will serve the purpose. Nothing all that magical about 1343 and everyone carries the equivalent. In the meantime there are lots of other places to get it if you want.

Well it may not be magical but an awful lot of people seem to love it and i have to since i started useing it. Guess ill just have to get it some where else. I just spent weeks testing wicks and etc with this and do not want to change all over again. Thanks for the help any way. Lin

I should also add to what Nachelle had to say and point out that all IGI/Astorlite waxes are being discontinued by Peak. A few people were aware of that and that is why the inventory moved so fast. So what you see on the Peak site now from IGI/Astorlite is going to be the last of it.

Cheers,

Alan

Well it may not be magical but an awful lot of people seem to love it and i have to since i started useing it. Guess ill just have to get it some where else. I just spent weeks testing wicks and etc with this and do not want to change all over again. Thanks for the help any way. Lin

I agree. There just isn't enough time to do all the testing it takes to switch waxes right now. Not RIGHT BEFORE the busy season hits..

I will be getting all my waxes shipped in AGAIN, :undecided even though I'm local, because there just isn't time to test new waxes for me right now, and I'm comfortable with the waxes I've been using and so are my customers.

Thanks for chimming in here Nachelle and Alan as i didnt know and was just surprised. Im sure your wax might even be better so ill try that when it comes in and get the 1343 some where else for now. And thanks Eugena for the help. Lin

Realistically Lin, you could probably change from one typical 138 MP straight paraffin to another pretty seamlessly and hardly notice the difference. I don't think you'd get plunged back into the testing cycle for wicking, but it could complicate things if you were making mottled candles since mottling properties can vary so much from one wax to another.

I have been waiting weeks to order this wax from peaks and i went to see if it was in yet and its dicontinued, What happened? Anyone know where i can get the A version close to NY? Im a little shocked as i thought this wax was the best so i started useing it and now its gone.Lin

That wax is way over rated IMO

That wax is way over rated IMO
I think I would agree with that. Not to say that it's bad, but it's pretty much what you'd expect from a 138 MP straight paraffin. I think a lot of people use it simply because it's made by a big manufacturer and a lot of suppliers carry it. It's a little bit marginal in its burn properties for making a pillar unless you shore it up with additives and the same goes for its scent retention.

1343 became very popular here because of it's versatility, mottles, rustics, etc. Many dread the "starting over" aspect of changing waxes. People would order that wax on the say so of others and find that it performed as described. My first successful rustics were made from this wax, so I stuck with it. The negatives you noted are quite true.

e

I think I would agree with that. Not to say that it's bad, but it's pretty much what you'd expect from a 138 MP straight paraffin. I think a lot of people use it simply because it's made by a big manufacturer and a lot of suppliers carry it. It's a little bit marginal in its burn properties for making a pillar unless you shore it up with additives and the same goes for its scent retention.

I do love the way 1343 has been very consistent batch to batch for me. When I first started using a straight paraffin it was from BP I think and Genwax sold it, then BP was sold. I started using 1343 until Genwax formulated their own pillar blend. I thought sweet I can save on shipping and get the same type of wax pretty much. I had so much frustration with theirs being consistent that I went back to 1343 and have never looked back. Now of course I am really sadden that I will have to start researching where to get the best price for 1343 etc.... I've been very pleased with it and just do not want to go thru what happened before. :(

BTW I just want to clarify that this is still a pretty good base wax. It's just that there are others much like it so it really doesn't stand out. Just offhand I can even think of 2 other IGI waxes that you could substitute and hardly notice the difference, not to mention the fact that every manufacturer and custom blender has more or less the equivalent.

The thing is, you're probably going to use additives when you utilize a straight paraffin like this. In combination with stearic, Vybar and all the rest you can accomplish whatever you want. You run up against the limitations the most when you want to make mottled candles, because your choice of additives suddenly becomes very limited and you can't do nearly as much to enhance the burn qualities and scent retention.

Basically, you run up against the same problems with IGI 1274. It mottles reliably and perhaps a bit more than 1343, but the properties are very similar and you can't do much about it. However, with the use of additives you can substitute 1274 for 1343 and make any kind of candle you want with equivalent results.

and my question is WHY? Peaks is not the first supplier to drop IGI products and go to "custom blend" products. What is that about? I just don't get it. Any ideas????????

Dat

Just speculating here:

Speculation #1 - It's more profitable.

Speculation #2 - Alan is a wax geek and just wants to.

I suspect both. :)

Basically, you run up against the same problems with IGI 1274. It mottles reliably and perhaps a bit more than 1343, but the properties are very similar and you can't do much about it. However, with the use of additives you can substitute 1274 for 1343 and make any kind of candle you want with equivalent results.

Well I would guess that is why alot of people like it. 1. It is dependable. 2. You can use 1 wax, add your own additives and get your OWN CUSTOM BLEND instead of buying 6 different waxes from a supplier and having the exact same product as everyone else that buys the preblend waxes from the suppliers.

We are not all drones. We can read, learn and do the blending for ourselves.

Dat

Well there went that :undecided

I have been testing pillar waxes for years and always end back up at the 1343. That is my wax of choice, and no I don't think it has the best scent throw but there are scents that throw just as good in it as any other providing you do your testing. It's actually a cut-n-carve wax, not necessarily designed for scented candles. One thing I love about it is it's versatility. Peaks was my last hope as it has been impossible for me to find and keep a supplier of this wax living in CA. Life goes on, I will have to give up on this wax once and for all and see if I can't get something from Genwax to work. Granted I will save a lot of money but I'm still pretty bumbed :(

Just speculating here:

Speculation #1 - It's more profitable.

Speculation #2 - Alan is a wax geek and just wants to.

I suspect both. :)

Reasonable suspicions I suppose. Not bad at all.

Truthfully though, it'll be less profitable because having our own exacting blends contract manufactured is more expensive than distributing for IGI, yet we are still going to have to compete price-wise with the products we were carrying.

The real reason revolves around business ethics. I don't want to go into any more detail about it than that. But basically we will never tolerate deceptive business practices from any vendor. I don't care how much it hurts us. It comes right down to a matter of principle that requires not a moment of thought.

And yes Alex, I might be a bit of a wax geek (among other things). Some of the waxes we'll be introducing next week have been in testing for about two years... so, there's always been a contingency plan in place. I just had to really ramp up testing efforts in the recent weeks to finalize specs.

Cheers,

Alan :smiley2: