Has anyone ever seen this?

Guest amynleebishop

Guest amynleebishop

I saw this link on the CT site http://www.mysoycandlebiz.com/index1.htm,

I was horrified to read what it said about paraffin. Does anyone know if this is true?

Don't Burn Another Candle In Your Home

candlebrnr4redb.gif Until You Learn The TRUTH About Paraffin Wax candlebrnr4redb.gif

99% of all candles on the market today are made from Paraffin, a by-product resulting from the petroleum refining industry..a sludge from the bottom of the barrel.

• burning these candles in your home, is the same as burning diesel fuel or pulling a car into your home!

• Soot particles travel deep into the lungs.

• EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) testing has found over 20 dangerous compounds in SIGNIFICANT quantities. Burning paraffin candles can produce a variety of harmful toxins, including benzene & toluene, known carcinogens, as well as acetone and lead.

• The soot from these materials contain not only carcinogens, but neurotoxins and reproductive toxins.

• The American Lung Association says, "Burning paraffin candles can emit small amounts of toxins into the air."

I think after reading this, I am switching to soy!!!!

If I remember correctly Soy candles will soot also. All candles will if not properly wicked. Do a search in the Archives and on the new boards you will find alot of information on it.

And yes I do make parrafin candles and the only time I see black smoke is when I don't have the right wick inserted;).

Don't be to hard on parrafin until you do some more reading.

hth

Tammy

Guest amynleebishop

Thanks Tammy!

I love my paraffin wax and have been a dedicated paraffin candle maker for over 10 yrs but this was really disheartening to read. I have been checking other sites and taking into consideration that the site I read it from was a soy promoting site, I guess what they say is true....taking it with a grain of salt.

I am a soy candle maker and have been making soy candles for over 6 years and I will tell you most of what is on that site is just propaganda. It is a lot of half truths and a few out right lies. That is all about selling Candlewealth which is a Multi level marketing company.

I'm Paraffin and Proud of it! I even told people at the shows that were all ""oohing and awing" over soy and wondering why I don't make them. I told them dont believe everything you hear and that a candle is as good as the candlemaker making them. Soy will soot just like paraffin. Don't believe everything you hear or read.

I'm Paraffin and Proud of it! I even told people at the shows that were all ""oohing and awing" over soy and wondering why I don't make them. I told them dont believe everything you hear and that a candle is as good as the candlemaker making them. Soy will soot just like paraffin. Don't believe everything you hear or read.

Ditto this!

Double Ditto

I am not saying parafin is bad, we all know we have been burning these candles all our lives. After starting to make soy I have switched, but I still have my old favorites. But I was just wondering if anyone has thought of the long term affects of being a candlemaker of parafin wax. Just wondering if it concerned anyone. I am sure no one there are no studies that say so. But we are now learning about second hand smoke. Just a thought.

I am a paraffin candle maker with my 3 year old son in the house while I constantly burn test candles. Usually I have one in every room - including his. No, I'm not worried one bit about it because I've done my homework. I refuse to believe something someone else says without doing my own research. Have you ever heard of anyone getting lung cancer or other diseases from burning candles in their home?

Let's take these in order:

• There's a reason 99% of candles are made with paraffin. It's a very old medium for candle making and, in general, paraffin throws better than soy. Also, refining soy wax uses the same chemicals and processes as paraffin refining.
  • Burning these candles in your home, is the same as burning diesel fuel or pulling a car into your home - to a much lesser extent. You breathe 100,000 times more carcinogens in a 30 minute rush-hour commute than you would if you burned a candle right next to you 24/7 for a year.
  • Yes, soot does travel deep into the lungs. DUH! Anything you breathe does that. What they don't tell you is that any candle will soot if it's not wicked properly and/or the wick isn't trimmed.
  • "Significant quantities" does not mean dangerous quantities. Significant is the next level above "Trace". If paraffin candles were so toxic, don't you think they would have been banned by the EPA?
  • "The soot from these materials contain not only carcinogens, but neurotoxins and reproductive toxins." Yes, they do but the amounts are extremely small. See point #2 above.
  • "Burning paraffin candles can emit small amounts of toxins into the air." -- See all points above. They're just rewording the same thing over and over again.

Now, on a positive note:

• Soy helps support American agriculture.
  • Parrafin candles are a major consumer of the oil refining process waste which would otherwise end up in land fills.

Why can't soy and paraffin stop bashing each other and live in peace?

I saw this link on the CT site http://www.mysoycandlebiz.com/index1.htm,

I was horrified to read what it said about paraffin. Does anyone know if this is true?

Don't Burn Another Candle In Your Home

candlebrnr4redb.gif Until You Learn The TRUTH About Paraffin Wax candlebrnr4redb.gif

• 99% of all candles on the market today are made from Paraffin, a by-product resulting from the petroleum refining industry..a sludge from the bottom of the barrel.

• burning these candles in your home, is the same as burning diesel fuel or pulling a car into your home!

• Soot particles travel deep into the lungs.

• EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) testing has found over 20 dangerous compounds in SIGNIFICANT quantities. Burning paraffin candles can produce a variety of harmful toxins, including benzene & toluene, known carcinogens, as well as acetone and lead.

• The soot from these materials contain not only carcinogens, but neurotoxins and reproductive toxins.

• The American Lung Association says, "Burning paraffin candles can emit small amounts of toxins into the air."

I think after reading this, I am switching to soy!!!!

It's why, as a paraffin user, we promote the truth about waxes. We have handouts that explain the different waxes on the market and some basic information about them. We also reference the National Candle Association.

It's great to hear the soy people at shows promote their stuff as 100% natural with colors and fragrances that aren't found on shelves with essential oils.

Now, I've been accused of being a trouble maker on here for my wanting proof from the soy group about their statements that paraffin causes cancer, that it's going to cause all the oil paints from your Leonardo Da Vinci hanging in the study to slide off the canvas, that it doesn't release toxins and you get where I'm going. What is disgusting is that there are soy makers out there and on here who freely and willingly promote this because it was on someone else's site, so that makes it true. And that someone else was just as ignornant.

Those who promote their product for what is without the need to boost, slam, flame or annihilate another have my respect.

:bow:

It's why, as a paraffin user, we promote the truth about waxes. We have handouts that explain the different waxes on the market and some basic information about them. We also reference the National Candle Association.

It's great to hear the soy people at shows promote their stuff as 100% natural with colors and fragrances that aren't found on shelves with essential oils.

Now, I've been accused of being a trouble maker on here for my wanting proof from the soy group about their statements that paraffin causes cancer, that it's going to cause all the oil paints from your Leonardo Da Vinci hanging in the study to slide off the canvas, that it doesn't release toxins and you get where I'm going. What is disgusting is that there are soy makers out there and on here who freely and willingly promote this because it was on someone else's site, so that makes it true. And that someone else was just as ignornant.

Those who promote their product for what is without the need to boost, slam, flame or annihilate another have my respect.

I am more concerned about the long term affects of the fo's that I am breathing in than the wax itself. This soap box is so old.

I agree...all though I make soy I would be more concerned about the fragrances that burn then the wax.....

Fragrance on a label can indicate the presence of up to four thousand separate ingredients, many toxic or carcinogenic. Symptoms reported to the USA FDA include headaches, dizziness, allergic rashes, skin discoloration, violent coughing and vomiting, and skin irritation. Clinical observation proves fragrances can affect the central nervous system, causing depression, hyperactivity, and irritability.

...but since I have not mastered the Essential Oils at this point I will continue to use the FO's...I do however ask each supplier if there FO's contain Pthalates which is a known carcinogen and has been linked to birth defects and cancer....this ingredient has been banned in Europe for many years...BTW Natures Garden has assured me they do not use Pthalates in their oils. HTH:wink2:

I make both soy and paraffin candles. There are pros and cons to each. There is no such thing as a "perfect" anything in this world, IMO.

Maybe I'm a born skeptic, but I generally take everything I hear and see with a grain of salt. People have biases, and they can't help but see things through their particular filter. It's up to each individual to dig out the truth as best he/she can. :) Even then, we may not get a "perfect" picture, but it beats having someone else spoon-feed us his or her bias. LOL ;) Scare tactics are as old as the hills. They generally have little effect on moi. heh heh I'm such a brat that way. :laugh2:

Fragrance on a label can indicate the presence of up to four thousand separate ingredients, many toxic or carcinogenic. Symptoms reported to the USA FDA include headaches, dizziness, allergic rashes, skin discoloration, violent coughing and vomiting, and skin irritation. Clinical observation proves fragrances can affect the central nervous system, causing depression, hyperactivity, and irritability.

Isn't this too much?

FOs (their components) must be approved by RFIM, IFRA and FDA.. or am I missing something?

Anyway, look at all we eat, drink, inhale...if you don't live in a virgin forest eating fruits I guess soot shouldn't be your biggest problem.

Or do you light 100 candles in an evening while watching TV?

I usually light one candle, and in a house there is always circulating air, even if you have the windows all closed.

We should find out what's true, and as with every other thing.. just don't use too much.

Ten years as a chandler. We pour 10-12 tons of paraffin wax a year. And other than all of my grandchildren being born with two heads, no problems. Seriously, you are an advertiser's dream. Buy this, don't buy that, this causes cancer (this year), next year it's the secret to longevity. Quit believing what others say. Check it out yourself. BTW, that is NOT the story about paraffin from the EPA. The quotes are blown into untruths. Check it out. I won't bother telling you what the truth is. And if you check out the facts about soy and health issues, you will find they are very similar. Of course I haven't checked with "The National Enquirer" lately;so, those facts could have changed. We experimented with soy and blends for two years and definitely will stick with paraffin and with our two-headed grandchildren. :)

I am more concerned about the long term affects of the fo's that I am breathing in than the wax itself. This soap box is so old.

Cindy has hit the nail on the head....The FO's are the real concern. Many of us have certain FO's that bother us. I have many customers who can't tolerate any FO. I don't care what type of wax you are using, the more FO in a candle, the more polution you are going to produce.

Janette

I couldn't agree more!!!! Especially with your last point.

Janette

Ten years as a chandler. We pour 10-12 tons of paraffin wax a year. And other than all of my grandchildren being born with two heads, no problems. We experimented with soy and blends for two years and definitely will stick with paraffin and with our two-headed grandchildren. :)

As a reporter for the National Enquirer, I would be highly interested in a story and pictures of these two-headed grandchildren ;):laugh2::laugh2: <--- and that is my first hearty laugh of the day!! Thank you for it.