Which wicks do you like?

I use the ECO's. I feel they work best for me, but I'm going to see how the LX's and the RRD's work, since I already know that I am not a fan of the HTP's or the CD's. Testing all the different types of wicks and sizes are a PITA! But well worth it once your candle burns perfectly. ~HTH

I'm so new to this, I don't even know what all these acronyms stand for--CD, LX, HTP, etc. Are they brand names or names of the materials used? I use cotton wicks from Candlewealth (okay, everyone, don't laugh, they seem to work very well) as that's where I got started, but am anxious to expand my options. Looks like from what everyone says, CD and HTP are the losers, LX and RRDs the winners?

I like the look of the LX (aesthetically). :)

As for what works best I have used LX, CD, HTP, and Cotton Core. Since Top turned me on to gauging a start point for testing by looking at wick yield I find I run the gamut, especially since each type of wick seems to have a big gap in yield gradiation to wick size at some point.

Admittedly, I have not tried the RRD's or the ECO's, but they do seem to get raves by some so I may try them in the future on difficult projects.

Since Top turned me on to gauging a start point for testing by looking at wick yield I find I run the gamut, especially since each type of wick seems to have a big gap in yield gradiation to wick size at some point.
Glad you found that useful. It seems to work best in comparing flat braided wicks. Throw in cores or square braids and it's kinda out the window.

With flat braids, you might get used to the way certain wicks compare. For instance, I think LX underperforms ECO by about a size if you compare based on yield. Just a casual observation - not thoroughly tested.

HTP and CD are so similar that the yield comparison is very close - better than the equivalency table that's been going around.

Glad you found that useful.

I absolutely did. Thank you.

I've also found that ROC seems to make enough of a difference when comparing similar sizes between brands (to narrow a choice down even further). For example, the yield of the LX 20 and the CD 7 are fairly close (402 and 408, respectively), but the ROC of the LX 20 is slightly higher and therefore performs noticeably better or worse depending on the application.

I'm glad you brought up coreless vs. other wicks, though, because I had not made that connection yet. It will be an interesting thing to test.

I've also found that ROC seems to make enough of a difference when comparing similar sizes between brands (to narrow a choice down even further).
I don't trust those other numbers as much, especially when the wicks are tested by different companies. To figure the yield, you wind the wick onto a spool and see how much fits. For the other numbers you have to burn them. There's a standard for how to do the burn tests, down to the exact properties of the wax to use, but in the real world the results don't seem comparable. Compare for instance the data for HTP and CD on the Wicks Unlimited site. They should be similar but are worlds apart. For another example you can compare the data for zinc wicks on WU vs. Braidway.

I don't trust those other numbers as much, especially when the wicks are tested by different companies. To figure the yield, you wind the wick onto a spool and see how much fits. For the other numbers you have to burn them. There's a standard for how to do the burn tests, down to the exact properties of the wax to use, but in the real world the results don't seem comparable. Compare for instance the data for HTP and CD on the Wicks Unlimited site. They should be similar but are worlds apart. For another example you can compare the data for zinc wicks on WU vs. Braidway.

Hm. I went to the Braidway site (I already have the WU pdf), and the RoC information for zinc core was identical to WU.

HTP RoC was fairly different between Braidway and WU though, however yield was off as well. What would cause the yield to be noticeably different between the two companies?