How should I respond?

I was just rejected from a craft show that, would have been my 3rd time there:mad:. I was counting on doing this show, so I made no other plans for any other craft shows. I want to know should I write and see if I can get a response, or leave it alone?

She waited so long to give me my check back, I started to make candles. The show is for Oct. 13 and 14.

By the way the first year there were two candle people, the second year I was the only candle person, now all of the sudden they have other candle people? There are less than 30 vendors and I sent my payment in advance and let her know that I was there last year.

So what should I do? Leave it alone or try to get an answer?

T****I****A****

I would call her and try to get an answer. I would throw in there that you started making candles already because you assumed you were in. I would also state that you would've thought they would inform people in advance that they were in/out of the show. You may have to word it nicer, but you get the point :) God luck and tell me the outcome!

I ditto the thoughts already expressed here but I cannot believe they would wait till this late to notify you that you weren't in. That is outrageous. You need to start making stock around this time and you need to have already ordered supplies to do that show. I would most definitely let her know that. The shows I do we get much more notice than that.

I am sorry and hope something gets done or you can get in on another show.

That doesn't seem fair. :cry2: The first thought in my head was the candle person or persons that are going to be there might be friends of the promoter putting on the show. I have run into that before. I don't know if you want to pursue it and ask why, you might be wasting your time and effort. If I were you I would look and see if there might be another craftshow going on at the same time and try to get into that one. I wish you luck!!!;)

I'm with everyone else on this one.

I don't know how long ago it was that you submitted your application and check, but for any Promoter to wait to issue you a declination 2 weeks before the event is unacceptable.

I would contact her, and ask her very honestly why you were not approved, especially after participating in this event previously. Tell her you would prefer honest feedback from her so that you can avoid the chance of being caught up in such an anwful situation in the future (with them or someone else). I would also make her aware of the fact that since you had not heard back from her, you could only assume that you had been accepted, and had begun "crafting" for this event! Don't be defensive of bitchy about it --simply come from the truth and be honest. That way, you won't put her on the defensive and tune her out.

Perhaps this will shame her into allowing you to participate. It certainly sounds like she dropped the ball on her end. I'm so sorry this occured for you. :(

It is a bit late to find out that you have not been accepted.. bummer. Was it jurried? Were your products a good 'fit' for the show? Has your relationship with the promoter been good? If it were me I'd like to know why too. But with the show upcoming so soon, calling might not be the best approach if they are busy. Maybe a letter telling them how much you like their show and asking why you were not accepted this year, so you can make sure it does not happen again. Letters allow me to make sure I don't get angry or upset.. things I don't want happening if I want to be in that promoters show in the future.

Last weekend I actually got 2 weeks out from a show that I was building up inventory for and realized my check had not been cashed. I called and they were not sure they could place me. Too late to make other plans, I asked if there was anything I could do to help the situation. They asked if I would mind being in a tent, a building other than what I had set as a preference. I told them would be happy to work with them on my placement. I will also make sure my ap for next year is paid for before I leave the show.

I am sorry that we were not able to place you in the show. When it comes to like products we have to take first in. Our response this year was more than we could have ever expected. As you know we are limited to the number of booth spaces Next year we will be in bigger facility. I know that does not help you right now but, I hope you will consider us next year. Thanks

Jackie

*****Should I even consider next year?******

I fear the same thing will happen, next year.

Most will give vendors a spot that have done the show before bringing new people. This is not what they seem to do so I don't think you'd have much better luck next year. I'd call her back & find out why, since you had done this show before, you did not get a space before someone new. If this is how they do things I wouldn't want to participate in their show. Hopefully you can find other shows to do.

I have never heard of craft shows taking new people before they offer vendors from the previous year a spot.

I have, but this is a different state. Really it is not that uncommon here.

Only one show we go to gives you an option to pay for a spot for the next year (doing so eliminates having to be juried and keeps you in the show.)

I have never heard of craft shows taking new people before they offer vendors from the previous year a spot.

The big show I have done for the past two years and this year does exactly that. Every show is juried and they remove any identification from the products before they pick. They like a variety and last year I know that 40 vendors were rejected, 25 who had been repeats in the show. They also take applications in May and let everyone know in mid-June if you have been accepted OR rejected, the show is this month. Every year I have been I have considered myself lucky and don't take it for granted that I will be in next year.

I would set her straight. I just had a similar problem. A 3 day show I have been doing for about 5 yrs now. I sent everything in by the date. She called me asking what products I am bringing, it was on the contract, then told her again, then she ran into me at a nother show and told her the same thing, then she calls me one week later asking the same question, then tells me I have to take the smaller huts and not a barn becuase everyone wanted one this year and there weren't enough,. i said...whoa...I had a barn last year and i think i should have preference over new people wanting ones this year. After getting a little testy with her, she said ok, i'll make sure you get a barn. Some people are so dense.

i've seen turnover with shows that have been running for 30 yrs, and no new ones were ever let in and they began rejurying, but not after a couple of years...Throw a fit and make sure you get a primo spot, don't settle for some crappy spot. I wouldn't back down on this one, just to get the point across. Most reputable promoters, tell you that you will not get in right afgter your app is submitted, not a couple weeks before the show. What does you contract say? When did you send in the $?

Bullying might work for you, but it might not work for everyone. What appears to work in one instance can result in a bridge that gets burned for future ones.

If the promoter is acting like the first one in gets the spot, then why hold on to the check for so long?

Before I would attempt to get nasty with her, I would let her know that I was puzzled by the fact that you didn't receive a spot, since you are a repeat vendor and you only recently had your check returned.

Then I would ask her if they don't give preference to returning vendors, since in your experience that's the way most shows are run. I would explain that since things appeared to progress as they had every year, you assumed you were accepted and now you have an overflow of inventory and no way to get rid of it. If she doesn't bite at that and scrounge up a booth for you, ask if she can help you out with a discount for next year's show, because you think they really dropped the ball this time. As a loyal vendor, I think they owe you something for this major inconvenience.

I wound up getting free booth space at a show once because I complained about they way things were handled. I wasn't nasty about it--I just explained that I was out a lot of money because of the way they mis-managed their show.