Is there a 'Bath Bomb Loser club' I can join?

sandyrose

I said I was not even going to try them but I did because I happened to have all the ingredients on hand today. I decided to make them like little cupcakes instead of balls. I left them in the kitchen to dry and in about 3 hours they had quadrupled thier size bubbling all over the place. DUH! I know it's a good recipe... it's just I am such a dork!

For many of us, things have to totally be perfect for bombs to come out. Like the humidity just so, the wind blowing in the right direction, the moon being in the right phase, the correct combination of wildlife in the backyard, your posture just, and wearing the right color shoes.

Other people seem to have less difficulty...

I too need to join this club:yay:

But I can't believe it, I made a batch of bombs Friday just to see how durn bad they would turn out.

It was raining outside and my windows were open, we had some pretty tough storms while I was mixing them up. I took someone's advice from here and did my mixing in a ziploc bag instead of a bowl.

I ended up with the most PERFECT looking bombs. No bubbling, they didn't flatten out and they didn't rise, they are too stinking perfect. Bet it won't happen this way again. Once I molded them, I sat them in my cold oven over night to dry.

I'm not sure if mixing them in the ziploc bag was the key or what, but I will surely be mixing them in the ziploc again. Now if I could just get this darn loaf candle wicked right. Portia

• 4 weeks later...

While I would always like to have nothing but successes, it is from the not so successful attempts that I learn. I use these times as learning tools. I have lots of those tools. :laugh2: I started to make bombs and joined a swap to try to better my bombs. Man did my colorants suck in the beginning. But I learned from it and worked even harder to make a better bomb. With each attempt, I try to better the last. Its all good though. Its all good with you too and bet it was still fun? :D

Meridith,

Yes it was fun and really I am just joking. I mean at first I was not going to even attempt to but I could not help myself. I threw some ingredients together and thought what the heck. Too funny cause mango butter was one of them.

And yes since I have imperfected it I shall continue to work at it becuase it really is fun and I am compulsive like that.

:highfive:

While I would always like to have nothing but successes, it is from the not so successful attempts that I learn. I use these times as learning tools. I have lots of those tools. :laugh2: I started to make bombs and joined a swap to try to better my bombs. Man did my colorants suck in the beginning. But I learned from it and worked even harder to make a better bomb. With each attempt, I try to better the last. Its all good though. Its all good with you too and bet it was still fun? :D

I have found two things to be helpful with making bath bombs. First I don't use water at all any more. I just use oil. It's more expensive but makes a better bomb to me. Second, when it's just at that point that it sticks together and my brain says "just a little more" I STOP! In the begining I would just add a tiny bit more and they were never right.

What I have noticed with rock hard bath bombs is that all have the same concept for ingredients.... oil or butter that solidifies when it is at room temp.(i.e. coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, etc.)

I have spent many, many hours researching after hundreds of attempts at batches that were okay but nothing like what they sell at the stores.

With that being said I have embraced the fact that I have CP down and that is the majority of my business. I do not have any desire to spend more time at this point mastering bath bombs. I order mine wholesale from Jenny and they are wonderful! You can drop one of those babies and it is like a golf ball. They sell very well and it is one less thing that I need to worry about.

Good luck to all of you that continue..... :D

Jennifer

Jenny's are AMAZING!!! I got a bunch from her and wouldn't you know it my kids refused to use mine while any of hers were left in the house.

If I EVER get around to selling stuff I'll just buy hers - they are fun to make but only when I DON'T need them!

With that being said I have embraced the fact that I have CP down and that is the majority of my business. I do not have any desire to spend more time at this point mastering bath bombs. I order mine wholesale from Jenny and they are wonderful! You can drop one of those babies and it is like a golf ball. They sell very well and it is one less thing that I need to worry about.

Good luck to all of you that continue..... :D

Jennifer

Yes I have also discovered the CP is most of my business and I don't want to spend a lot of time on other things.

I sale alot of soap. That is what most of my customers are looking for and the other items I stock are an after-thought.

I have started to make bombs and i really like making them. I am trying to improve on my recipe because I like making them. I don't feel like it's a bother at all. It is just like making soap. I ENJOY IT. I will only make what I enjoy and everything else I will buy like my lotion base. I HATE making lotions and creams so I just get premade base. I just within the past couple of months found a bomb recipe that works for me but again I am trying to improve on it. Making small adjustments, testing.....make adjustment test. Gets kinda old but I love it.

Jenny's are AMAZING!!! I got a bunch from her and wouldn't you know it my kids refused to use mine while any of hers were left in the house.

If I EVER get around to selling stuff I'll just buy hers - they are fun to make but only when I DON'T need them!

Oh I hear ya, I got 4 of them from her, and my kids were practically fighting me for them!! Grrrrr

Oh, and just for the record, I'd make a GREAT VP of the "BBLC". ;) LOL

I've got bombs that look like green and white cow patties, think I could market those as alfalfa cow patties?? LOL

like someone mentioned before, the trick is NOT to use any water when making your bombs. as you well may know, water will set off the reaction between the citric and baking soda. it took me 3-4 months to FINALLY land on a recipe that gives me rock hard bombs, excellent scent throw and just the right amount of moisture. moral of the story is; don't give up! everytime you make a batch and it doesn't turn out right, eliminate an ingredient you feel is not right and try again! adjust your percentages; remember less is more when trying to find the right consistency. okay i'm done...

edited because i've been on the computer all day and things are starting to look a bit blurred...

How is it that when I make a batch, my first 2-3 bombs turn out beautiful yet the rest of them from the same batch crack or crumble??? Not enough liquid? I have decided to now offer fizzing flakes too. LOL :D

If it's the last few bombs that you mold crumble, your mixture is drying out too quickly. You can either cut the batch size in half, so that you can mold before the mixture dries or adjust the liquids/oils in your recipe so that you can mold in a decent amount of time...

How is it that when I make a batch, my first 2-3 bombs turn out beautiful yet the rest of them from the same batch crack or crumble??? Not enough liquid? I have decided to now offer fizzing flakes too. LOL :D

I had this happen to me when I was testing my recipe. I tried a batch with witch hazel and I could not understand why my batch started out fine then towards the end it would look like crumbs.

Well the only change I made was I switch from alcohol to witch hazel. Needless to say that after I figured out that was my problem I switch back to alcohol ( I use very little of this)and have used it every since. I also tried water a couple of time and yes it does set off the reaction. I would have never used water but a recipe I was following called for it so I added and I got big cracked balls. :angry2:

I made some last night and I increased the amount of hard oils that I use and they came out really nice. (I wanted to post pictures but I don 't know how to use my camera yet so I will post them once I learn)

I am finding the more bombs I make the better they look. It really does take practice and time.