Natural preservatives

Jeana

I am trying to find a 100% natural lotion to market. I have been making some that have turned out very nice, but so far my batches keep getting moldy. :( I have been trying to use some of the natural preservatives such as: Rosemary, GSE, and vitamin E. Are there any truly natural preservative that actually work?

I was keeping some of the lotion in the fridge, that did increase the shelf life. Does anyone know how long the shelf life is without preservatives in the fridge?

Can you actually sell lotion that needs to be kept in the fridge?

I am still new to the lotion business as well, and I too would like a preservative free lotion, so, if there is a more experienced lotion/soap maker out there who can correct me, please speak up. From my research, there just isn't a safe natural preserative out there. Now, I know of a soap maker who makes lotions that she uses GSE and instructs her customers to put in fridge, BUT, what scares me is

1) people don't follow instructions

2) shelf life even in fridge-you make it in say January, but don't sell until say May, you are not giving your customer a very good product shelf life (if any)

3) this particular soap associate/friend takes her product to shows, in the heat, where yuckies can grow. To me this is just a little too risky.

Now, I try to use vit. E and other goodies to help minimize the need for preservatives, but I will still use preservatives (I currently use a base, but am working on formulating my own receipes, the whole preservative thing (and $$) is what is holding me back). I just don't want to take the risk of someone getting a staph infection or something bad because of something growing in my lotion.

Anyway, that's my $.02.

KimO

Thanks Bunny. Those articles were very interesting, and further push me in the direction of staying with a lotion base rather than attempting to preserve my own recipe. While there are risks with the pre-preserved bases...I'm willing to take them, as they aren't any higher than the risks we take buying lotion from BBW or anywhere else for that matter. Natural sure is nice, but I can't imagine making lotion and upon selling it to a customer telling them they have to keep it in the frige and use it up within 2 weeks. Wouldn't work at all for me.

I think everyone would like a natural preservative. There *are* some that are promising, but I don't think they are generally available to home crafters, or are very expensive.

There are preservatives that are paraben free and that aren't formaldehyde donors, so finding one of those might be the closest to "natural" you can get.

It's quite an explosive topic :) you have to figure out what you are willing to risk, for yourself and your customers.

I've given up on lotions this year, but was testing Optiphen, and it seemed to be doing well. Edensong I think was testing Biopen?

Citric Acid is a natural perservative - dissolve in into your liquid

Tea Tree EO is also a natural perservative and also a natural

anti bacterial agent with healing properties. You may have to

scent your lotion a little heavier to cover the smell of tea

tree but it can be done.

Vit E as mentioned is a natural antioxident

grapefruit seed extract( a by product of the citrus industry, it is all vegetable antioxidant) is also another one - It also contains Vit c

and has been known to be Antibacterial and antioxidant among other properties.

As with any all natural product products - shelf life is limited - a proper bottle for dispensing is also very important as to not to introduce bacteria into lotion.

HTH

http://www.happi.com/current/May043.htm

The Suttocide A and Optiohen are both sold on thesage.com

the Optiphen is a paraben and formaldehyde free perservative. This place also sells the Optiphen and ROE which helps with rancidity.

http://www.theherbarie.com/preservatives-antioxidants.html#Optiphen

This place says they can create bases for you that are chemical perservative free through their own special blends of EOs and such but you have to do this via special order and have to order is a certain large amounts.

http://www.essentialwholesale.com/

HTH

I am trying to find a 100% natural lotion to market.

You could make a solid lotion - or body balm - these contain no water (just oils, butters & waxes) and don't have as many preservation issues as lotions made with water. The solid lotions are what I make - I'm not ready, business wise, to have to deal with preservatives, testing, etc.

Lisa

It is best to get your (free) book from FDA..The laws are always changing..I did lotions years ago..But, stopped dew to the fact..If you read the guidelines I did not have a factory type place with correct floor drains etc..They required a bit more laws(such as correct labeling etc.etc.(maybe talking about consumer affairs)I'll recheck and give you the toll free number if you need it..

Anyways...they require a certain amount of perservative to protect the consumer from bacteria...My advice is to check into places that can do private label for you....Or buy a base that you can just pour into a clean container.. One that has the correct amount required by law..Kind regards,linda

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
I found this website online that carries Tinosan SDC Natural Preservative. I don't know anything about it but they say it is all natural and I would love to know if it works as I too want to make my products "all natural":) .. Here is the site!

http://shop.texasnaturalsupply.ieasysite.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=TSDCP

I am bumping this as I was hoping someone has actually tried the Tinosan SDC and does it work??

Thank you!!

This was an interesting article. Note the Editor's Note at the end of the article:

http://www.naturalingredient.org/Articles/mulhaupt.html

I use Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) at 1% and make my lotion to order. I have NEVER had my lotion get moldy, and it has passed the USP Preservative Effectiveness Challenge Testing. The testing was very expensive so it would take a lot for me to reformulate my lotion and then pay to have it tested again.

I use Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) at 1% and make my lotion to order. I have NEVER had my lotion get moldy, and it has passed the USP Preservative Effectiveness Challenge Testing. The testing was very expensive so it would take a lot for me to reformulate my lotion and then pay to have it tested again.

That is great it's nice to know someone is using it. I use it in salves etc., but just for me. I also use it with water to keep mold out and it works really good. Where do you get the testing done?